Samsung teases new Android, Windows devices for June 20 event

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,346member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KDarling View Post


     


    True, they would have to do all that.  They certainly have the resources.


     


    It might not be as tiny as people think.


     


    The articles claiming Samsung doesn't sell a lot of high end phones, always seem to leave out the Note, which is, if anything, even higher end than the regular Galaxy S model.  They also leave out the other high end models still being sold.


     



     


    Take 4Q 2012 as an example.  Of the estimated 65 million smartphones Samsung sold, about 29 million were new and old high end phones.


     


    Of those, eight million were Note 2, one million Note 1.   Considering that Apple sold 48 million smartphones that quarter, nine million phablets seems like a pretty good number.


     


    (The above also indicates that the idea that Samsung mostly sells low end phone is no longer true, if it ever was.  A good guess is that they sell about 1/3 high, 1/3 mid and 1/3 low end.)



     


    Yes, they have the resources. They also have the resources to make 20 kinds of iPhones. Or do anything they want, really. But just because they have the resources it doesn't mean its a good idea, nor a good long term plan. Also, Apple didnt accumulate these resources by having a crap ton of models. Sj always said he was even more proud of what Apple DIDN'T release. 


     


    Also, not sure what that graph is supposed to prove, cause I don't see the argument there for Apple making a larger phone. Note shipments went DOWN, not up. Also, like I said, how many of those would translate into iPhones instead? Even if Apple does make a larger iPhone, I doubt it will be as large as the note, and Samsung+ others will ALWAYS have larger phones. There's no indication that Apple will suddenly grab the huge phone market. Samsung is coming out with 5.8-6.3" phones. Do you think Apple will release anything close to that size? No. Again, there has to be enough evidence that the increased potential sales from 2 models will offset all the other disadvantages, and I don't really see it. Especially if Apple continues with their trend of keeping older models at lower price points. How many models can they possibly sell at once, while giving each model sufficient attention? I can't see more than the current 3. And if they DO decide to then drop older models at a quicker pace, that will further dilute the value of te iPhone and create less consumer confidence. Having the phone continue to be sold officially for 3 years guarantees that your phone will be supported for that long. 

  • Reply 42 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,363member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post


    yep....stir up the membership with a little controversy. Lets gets some page hits and ad views!



    There's really no reason to keep asking Android or Microsoft or Samsung fans why they post here. It's obvious why: They were invited.

  • Reply 43 of 66
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,800member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post





    But will people who want different colors be appeased with a larger screen?


    Sure they will just like they are now. You can buy any color case under the sun. If zebra or leopard patterns are your taste, they have those too. Neon green or glow in the dark also available. You can change the color of your phone to anything you like now with a case. What you can't do is make the disappointingly  small screen any larger. I am not the only iPhone customer that is going over to the dark side either if a larger iPhone isn't released this year. A year ago most of my friends and family had iPhones now only 2 are left including me and both of us plan on getting a larger screen phone. Whether that is another iPhone or not is up to Apple. 

  • Reply 44 of 66
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    There's really no reason to keep asking Android or Microsoft or Samsung fans why they post here. It's obvious why: They were invited.



    Now there....you have a great point! Now when told this is an Apple fan site...well everyone gets the point....


    You can add any Apple competitor to list as well. Apple Insider has deemed this to be permissible to post news about Apple competitors here.

  • Reply 45 of 66
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Who fricking cares?


    I'm normally fine with other reports about Samsung here, but this is just absolutely nothing to do with Apple at all. Take this down.

    However us Apple afficionados do want/like to see Apple do well and a part of their success must rest on the tightly controlled secrecy which results in much surprise and delight when it comes off. Therefore if there is a paucity of Apple rumours and a consequent increase in news that is more oblique, well it is somewhat churlish to complain.
  • Reply 46 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

    Apple should make a cheap iDroid phone that runs on Android


     


     


    Said no one, ever.

  • Reply 47 of 66
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,249member


    People, it's called variety (as in the spice of life). Samsung provides it, Apple doesn't.


     


    Imagine two car companies. One offers a full range - economy models, trucks and sports cars.


    The other offers only three sedans. And two of those are the same car but with different engines. They may be the best engineered cars in the world but customers want variety.

  • Reply 48 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

    Imagine two car companies. One offers a full range - economy models, trucks and sports cars.


    The other offers only three sedans. And two of those are the same car but with different engines. They may be the best engineered cars in the world but customers want variety.



     


    The other makes most of the profits and sells 90% of the cars that are actually on the road. The rest are up on cinder blocks in rednecks' front yards. These towers of unused cars regularly collapse, killing thousands.


     


    I'll stick with the other.

  • Reply 49 of 66
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I am not the only iPhone customer that is going over to the dark side either if a larger iPhone isn't released this year. A year ago most of my friends and family had iPhones now only 2 are left including me and both of us plan on getting a larger screen phone. Whether that is another iPhone or not is up to Apple. 
    So if Apple doesn't cater to your whims & wishes of a larger iPhone you're leaving the platform? Adios then. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member


    Holy crap, I've never read such a buncha' little cry-babies!


     


    "...nothing to do with Apple..."  


     ...yeah, ok. If you say so...

  • Reply 51 of 66
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,800member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post





    So if Apple doesn't cater to your whims & wishes of a larger iPhone you're leaving the platform? Adios then. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.


    Don't be obtuse. I am far from alone. You make it sound like I am asking for a triangular shaped phone encrusted in ivory. Asking for a larger screen is hardly a whim. Nor is it a trend, a niche, a fad or any other word you want to use to ignore the handwriting on the wall. Large screen phones are here to stay and unless Apple decides to make their own they will lose a lot more customers than yours truly. 


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    The other makes most of the profits and sells 90% of the cars that are actually on the road. The rest are up on cinder blocks in rednecks' front yards. These towers of unused cars regularly collapse, killing thousands.


     


    I'll stick with the other.



    No you won't. How can you stick with the iPhone if you have never even bought one. Correct me if I am wrong but you won a 1st generation from some contest but have not ever bought one. I find it more than a little odd to be so defensive about a product you don't even own or use. Trade in that pre-paid flip phone and actually buy and use an iPhone and put your money where your mouth is or to use your favorite expression, shut up and go away.  You have to buy a ticket to join the club. 

  • Reply 52 of 66
    gwmac wrote: »
    Don't be obtuse. I am far from alone. You make it sound like I am asking for a triangular shaped phone encrusted in ivory. Asking for a larger screen is hardly a whim. Nor is it a trend, a niche, a fad or any other word you want to use to ignore the handwriting on the wall. Large screen phones are here to stay and unless Apple decides to make their own they will lose a lot more customers than yours truly.

    You're right, there are others out there that want a larger screen iPhone but Apple's going to do what Apple's going to do the wishes of a larger screen be damned. They've always been that way. Everybody and their mother were demanding that Apple make a netbook. Apple gave em the finger and completely revolutionized yet another catagory and blew them all out of the water with the iPad.

    It's no different with a larger screen and/or cheaper iPhone. Apple's either going to make an iPhone with a larger screen or a lower-cost iPhone, if they feel they can make money on it, or they're not and those who don't like it can stick with their old iPhone or go somewhere else. They'll make up the lost customer(s) elsewhere.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    slicksimslicksim Posts: 52member


    I am sick to death of reading page after page of Samsung related news on this site apparently because it is relevant to Apple and its products. How so ?  This article is about a range of phones produced by Samsung.  Apple make one phone, arguably the most expensive and profitable phone.  Since Apple have never ever given any indication of producing more than this single expensive profitable phone, or moving away from its model of skimming the cream in the mobile space, I fail to see how this article has any relevance what so ever ???  Looking around the internet it isn"t hard to find discussion about Apple related matters, there is arguably the biggest revision of iOS since its inception just around the corner after all.  Mean while here on AI we have defensive bitching amongst people who have never owned an Apple product, with no interest in developing the platform in any way.  Poor show.

  • Reply 54 of 66
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member


    Apple is going to release a 4.5/5" phone when high quality LCD yields will be no more a problem with dpi over 550 to support 4x resolution. Battery and CPU are not such a big problem anymore.


     


    However, until then: zip, zero, nada. Apple doesn't release a phone for its sake, but to be functional and doesn't cause fragmenting of ecosystem. This problem makes developing for Android frustrating even before you get grip on device itself....

  • Reply 55 of 66
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    S4 Mini? So wait... Apple is right selling the iPhone 5 at its current size despite all of the criticism Apple has received for not enlarging the iPhone's screen to better compete with the Galaxy line? I think this is an interesting turn.
    No because its not a bigger screen in replacement its in addition. People arnt sheep that do the same thing. The first iPhones were fine being the same as it was so much better. Now the others have feature parity plus choices to cater for individuals.
  • Reply 56 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post


    No you won't.



     


    Yeah, I will, thank you very much. Don't you dare try to correct what I will or will not do.

  • Reply 57 of 66
    slicksimslicksim Posts: 52member


    What an interesting question: why doesn't Apple make a bigger screen phone? .....like thats never been discussed on AI.....could it be because Apple is stubbornly ignoring all market pressures to do so, at their cost?.....or perhaps they haven't done so because tens of thousands of dollars research into ergonomics suggests that they will damage the use and feel of the phone if they do so.  My guess is Apple will make more models including bigger screens when they can prove to themselves that it can be done to the very high standard they demand....and not before.  Apple is in the top end phone business, I do wonder if they are trapped in that segment.....but they sure do make a hell of a lot of money making top end phones!

  • Reply 58 of 66
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    S4 Mini? So wait... Apple is right selling the iPhone 5 at its current size despite all of the criticism Apple has received for not enlarging the iPhone's screen to better compete with the Galaxy line? I think this is an interesting turn.

    This sounds more like a dig on Samsung's part. By having a 4 inch phone called "Mini" it makes Apple's 4 inch phone seem small.
  • Reply 59 of 66
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    gwmac wrote: »
    Sure they will just like they are now. You can buy any color case under the sun. If zebra or leopard patterns are your taste, they have those too. Neon green or glow in the dark also available. You can change the color of your phone to anything you like now with a case. What you can't do is make the disappointingly  small screen any larger. I am not the only iPhone customer that is going over to the dark side either if a larger iPhone isn't released this year. A year ago most of my friends and family had iPhones now only 2 are left including me and both of us plan on getting a larger screen phone. Whether that is another iPhone or not is up to Apple. 

    It all depends on tastes and use cases. For some, a larger phone negates the ability of carrying it in a pocket especially with a case on the phone. For others, the ability to view videos and pictures in a larger screen is more important. The trend on flagship models seems to be going towards larger screens, but I don't know about about the middle of the road models. It would be nice to see an actual breakout of models sold by screen size to see which ones are indeed more popular.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    Nice how they talked about Apple now and comparing it.
Sign In or Register to comment.