Apple's Ive played 'key' role in developing upcoming iOS 7

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

I have to disagree about Numbers. They need a backend programming language similar to how Excel has VBA. They could really kick MS Office in the nuts if they did that.

VBA in Excel is a bad idea, t.i. any programming inside spreadsheet is a bad idea. We have databases for that. Apple just needs fourth iWork app, not scripting inside Numbers.

• Reply 22 of 41
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

To my humble opinion, Apple mad some steps back in OS X GUI design already with 10.7. I have a feeling Craig likes to listen to Ive's minimalistic ideas. As I find minimalism in material design aesthetic (not always very usable, though), I find it completely misguided in software GUI design. Software should reflect analog naturalistic variety, an experience that resembles outside reality, not a boring classroom table...

I know we shall get some fine we functional features in iOS and OS X, but GUI won't be one of them...

• Reply 23 of 41
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    For WWDC we can play Tim Cook's "Incredible" Drinking Game.

And change 'Drink Responsibly' to 'Drink Incredibly'?

My liver says, 'No!'.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    bugsnw wrote: »
    I'd love to be further distracted than I already am on my iPhone when I'm busy on my iMac - say, a word is played on Words with Friends...

I don't like the notifications on my Mac. Especially when in Full Screen; the whole reason for me to go into Full Screen is to submerge myself with the content. Disabled all notifications, also on my iPad, since I have my phone with me all the time that may notify me of all things. Strange, they really made this Notification Center nice, but to me it's completely useless.
    I use Delivery Status that syncs my deliveries via JuneCloud.

You must order a lot of things if http://junecloud.com is usefull. I simply click on the link in the email the supplier sends me. Though last weeks' order from Apple gives me a faulty page (but this Delivery Status page works for me)
    I think the App Store and Music apps on iOS could be examples of what to expect.

I'd add the new layout of store.apple.com to that.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

[...] Also, some games would be perfect with my big living room tv.

You can do that now. iOS already supports AirPlay mirroring.

• Reply 26 of 41
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't like the notifications on my Mac. Especially when in Full Screen; the whole reason for me to go into Full Screen is to submerge myself with the content. Disabled all notifications, also on my iPad, since I have my phone with me all the time that may notify me of all things. Strange, they really made this Notification Center nice, but to me it's completely useless.

Pretty sure they added them specifically for full screen, so when you're on another screen in Mission Control, you see notifications for apps on other screens without having to have multiple windows open. They haven't solved it yet, but they're clearly working on trying to get away from users having to manage a dozen windows on a single screen and keeping track of what's happening where within that pile. I hope the tabbed Finders windows rumor is true. I tutor people on OSX all the time and am amazed at how few people know how to minimize windows versus dragging them most of the way down the screen and such, or don't know fast app switching shortcuts (command-tab/shift-tab being the most obvious). You may not be the target audience for notifications if you already have your specific way of working; many if not most users fumble their way through apps and windows all day (not to speak of the file system, which again — trying to "get rid" of).

• Reply 27 of 41
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Pin stripping, extra heavy shadowing, brushed aluminum, and bubble effects come to mind. At the time they were impressive feats but they were still garish. I am looking forward to a more subdued and subtle look to the OS.

I think the App Store and Music apps on iOS could be examples of what to expect.

I remember, in the early days of Apple Mac OS (can't remember the exact version), I had a chance to customize my user interface in a Motif-like appearance (or others) with some add-ons. That was niece (although, admittedly, not essential).

• Reply 28 of 41
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

He sure uses the word "incredible" a lot.

They teach you that in media relations. Take a meaningless and optimistic adjective and repeat it 10 times in every sentence. The audience doesn't realize you have said nothing until time's up.

• Reply 29 of 41
    izazaizaza Posts: 8member
    Everyone thinks Ive is great BUT I don't think so, The design of iPhone 5 is disaster. Long and thin. very very disappointed.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by iZaza View Post

Everyone thinks Ive is great BUT I don't think so, The design of iPhone 5 is disaster. Long and thin. very very disappointed.

You're probably the only person on the planet that thinks this. This is your fault, by the way. Take your trolling elsewhere.

• Reply 31 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    He sure uses the word "incredible" a lot.

$10 says Sammy's CEO switches from "smooth" to "incredible".
  • Reply 32 of 41
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    izaza wrote: »
    ...and thin. very very disappointed.

That's what she said.

Serious note, iPhone 5 is an awesome design and build.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Cook said "the future of iOS and OS X" will rollout at WWDC 2013 in June.

Ah, FRIG, they're gonna unify them too soon.

I don't think unification is anything to worry about. Even if they unify the name it doesn't mean they will ruin the Mac just for the sake of unity. Look at iOS for iPhone and iOS for iPad, they are purposefully different because the hardware and user experience is different. If OS X borrows from iOS and vice versa it should benefit both platforms.

• Reply 34 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Ah, FRIG, they're gonna unify them too soon.

He never suggested that. I think Cook came across very well in this interview. He held his own. I think he's a lot more clever and insightful than people give him credit for, because he's not so charismatic.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    I know I'm excited about what's coming at WWDC. Especially the new Mac Pro mentioned above ... oh wait a minute ... it wasn't.

That'll be too big a product to take attention away from the OS releases, perhaps? Perhaps we'll see a non-even announcement with a big marketing push up on Apple.com in August? Where Jony waxes lyrical about why the started from scratch with the new Mac Pro.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    ruel24 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what comes out, all of you Apple lap dogs are gonna triumph it as the greatest thing that ever happened... You people make others want to own the competition! I, personally, hope it better be a home run because Apple can use it. I've already read articles where people are not looking forward to a new look. I think the current look still has legs.

Entirely disjointed comment.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    bugsnw wrote: »
    Ive is instrumental in the upcoming look and feel of iOS 7? I heard a huge NO SHIT form inside my skull.

I suspect the point being made is that he didn't merely just throw out suggestions here and there, but had a real heavy hand in designing it.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    izaza wrote: »

Yes, everyone is wrong, but YOU are right.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"What we did last fall was change things up, to really ramp up our innovation," Cook said. "The key in the post-PC era for having a great product is incredible hardware, incredible software, and incredible services, and to combine them so you can't tell what's what. The magic is at the intersection."

Would be interesting to see Wikipedia's web traffic breakdown as Tim said that.

I'd expect to see a huge spike of hits from Redmond, WA, looking up "intersection."

• Reply 40 of 41
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

With great fortitude, I watched the whole two hours last night. You do NOT need a retina display when watching Kara. She is the most annoying and unfunny people in tech. She crosses the line between charming sarcasm and bitchiness with aplomb.

People here are right. Dozens of deep, probing questions regarding forthcoming products. These two wanted details. They tried, over and over, to rattle Tim. At points, I wondered if he had a pulse. He is unshakeable. But he adhered to Apple's stance on not commenting on future products. He never even showed weariness at their constant attempts.

I have a new respect for Tim. He's thoughtful and steady.

Whatever thing Steve had for Mossberg, maybe Apple should reconsider. Walt and Kara are not a good team. I never liked Walts style with Jobs but of course watched because it's one of the more lengthy bits Steve ever allowed.