New Macs, modernized iOS expected to appear at Apple's WWDC

Comments

• Reply 81 of 103
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sabertooth Tiger On A Snowboard.

To signify how they're going to start combining OS X (cats) and iOS (winter resorts).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Huh?

http://www.imore.com/ios-version-codenames

Microsoft also likes ski resorts. Whistler = Server 2002, Longhorn (after a Whistler-Blackcomb bar) = Vista, Blackcomb = Windows 7

• Reply 82 of 103
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

It's cool for a WWDC logo, but am I the only one who thinks that, that it is terrible replacement for the current app buttons in iOS?

I'm all for change but I hope there's more to it than that. I'd like to think there is more ..

Yet...

Historically the banners of WWDC hint at what's to come and that font and simplicity, doesn't seem to work for me when applying to a digital touch screen interface.

I've always like that apples icons and app buttons popped, and looked and felt more full and colorful over other smart phone OS.

© J.Ives 2013

• Reply 83 of 103
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    Marvin wrote: »
    Given enough time, the technology will probably become cheap enough but the Retina MBP displays are also IPS panels. It would be a bit of a waste to make such a high res display with poor viewing angles and if they used higher quality panels, the costs would be higher.

Of course a rMBA must have an IPS screen!

The option of paying extra for a high quality screen should at least be an option. I'm sure there are plenty of professional photographers who would gladly pay extra for a high quality screen in a 11" rMBA.

The idea of reserving high end features from low end systems does not hold true for the size of the SSD: A 11" MBA can actually be ordered with a 512GB SSD. It isn't cheap, that's for sure, but it is available. The same should be true for a high quality IPS rMBA screen.
  • Reply 84 of 103
    zoetmb wrote: »
    I don't think so.   In fact, I wonder what the future is for the Airs going forward.    While the MBPros are still very slightly thicker and a bit heavier than the Airs, they're getting so close, form factor is much less of an issue since they removed the optical drives from most of the MBP line, except perhaps for the 11" Air, since there's no equivalent Pro.    If the Airs are going to continue to exist, the main reason would be the price differential.   But the 13" Air lowest configuration is $1199, the same price as the 13" MBP.  The higher configuration is only $100 higher in the Pro.    If the Airs went Retina, they'd have to be priced very similarly to the MBP Retinas, so what's the point?    The only difference is that they still have a slight weight advantage, but it's getting pretty close.   The 13" Air is 2.96 pounds and the 13" MBP Retina is 3.57 pounds (lighter than the 4.5 pound MBP).

As for the 11" Air, I have to wonder whether the customers for that machine are primarily those who would now more likely buy an iPad.   If not, it will stick around because at $999 and $1099, it's the cheapest Mac laptop.    But if there are no longer many sales, it will be gone. 

I don't think Apple will discontinue the Airs this year because it will look bad when they haven't released any new hardware recently, but my bet is that the 13" (if not both machines) is gone within the next year.   

There are two assumptions that you are making that I don't think are necessarily true.

Paragraph #1: You are comparing the current sized MBA (which was released close to three years ago) with the recently released MBP. Who's to say that Apple might not further reduce the size of a "13 rMBA (and naturally make it more expensive)? You would then have reason to keep the 13" rMBA and 13" rMBP models in the product line.

Paragraph #2: A iPad can not replace a 11" MBA! They are two completely different products. An 11" MBA can run both Windows and OSX software, anything from Xcode for writing iPhone software to advanced engineering analysis software in Windows. It may be slower than the MBP but you can get it done on the road if you really need to. An iPad can't do these things.

There may be some people who do minimal work on their MBA who could use an iPad instead. I'm sure, however, that Apple realizes that there are people (like me) who want a super portable computer that is a fully capable Windows / OSX machine. That is precisely the 11" MBA.
  • Reply 85 of 103
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

OS 10.9 Clouded Leopard

'nuff said

Except we've passed leopards already.

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

© J.Ives 2013

Good. Now Jonathan Ive can't use this horrible design; it's copywritten by someone else.

• Reply 86 of 103
    jcm722jcm722 Posts: 40member

If you believe in rumors, 10.9 = Cabernet.

• Reply 87 of 103
    Marvin wrote: »
    Given enough time, the technology will probably become cheap enough but the Retina MBP displays are also IPS panels. It would be a bit of a waste to make such a high res display with poor viewing angles and if they used higher quality panels, the costs would be higher.

It makes sense for Apple to maintain better quality at the higher price points for now.
    *crosses legs*

Are there really not any women on this site (who might be turned off by this)???
  • Reply 88 of 103
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    irun262 wrote: »
    Are there really not any women on this site (who might be turned off by this)???

I would be surprised if any male or female gets turned on by anything on these forums.
  • Reply 89 of 103
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    I'm dreaming a bit here, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Mac Pro refresh with an entirely new form factor, possibly modular, like a Mac Mini on steroids - multiple (maybe 100Gb) Thunderbolt connections, a separate matching 4- to 6- slot PCIe chassis, rack-mountable accessory bundle, suitable for high end users using lots of outlying componentry (Avid/ProTools/Cubix)...
  • Reply 90 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I would be surprised if any male or female gets turned on by anything on these forums.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

A 15" Retina MacBook Air would make my pants tight. I love my 15" rMBP, but it is a bit hefty.

Well, it just goes to show that you can always be surprised image

• Reply 91 of 103
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Well, it just goes to show that you can always be surprised :wow:

WIth unyielding regret and disappointment I stand corrected.
  • Reply 92 of 103
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member

My wishlist WWDC:

1. New Intel chipset in MacBooks (Honeywell)

2. Double the Flash storage (using the new 128Gb modules instead of 64 ones)

3. Retina Air (BTO)

4. Faster Wifi (ac)

5. Bigger iCloud (1Tb)

Why?

I want to buy a MacBook to use for managing/editing photos.

1. Longer battery life and faster.

2. Need to be able to store all my photos on the computer. At present I have >350Gb in my photo library.

3. Considering buying an Air - but want Retina.

4. For automatic backups to Time Capsule and iCloud.

5. See no. 4.

• Reply 93 of 103
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    I'd like to see touch screen mac book airs. I'm after some Mac hardware, but I'm not going to buy anything that doesn't have touch. Particularly a laptop, the idea of getting a new laptop these days and having to use a pad to scroll what is on a screen 10 inches from the pad is just nuts.
  • Reply 94 of 103

Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I'd like to see touch screen mac book airs.

No, you wouldn't.

I'm after some Mac hardware, but I'm not going to buy anything that doesn't have touch.

Few more years to wait for that. Don't worry; it should be before 2020 if they want to stay relevant.

Particularly a laptop…

Oh, well, buy an iPad, then. That's the future of laptops.

• Reply 95 of 103

Quote:

No, you wouldn't.

Errr why wouldn't I? I want a laptop that runs OSX and it to be as light as possible which kinda limits you to a MBA. I'd also like touch as I think it's insane not to have touch. Hence I'd like a MBA with touch.

Quote:

Oh, well, buy an iPad, then. That's the future of laptops.

Unless you want desktop level software and a physical keyboard. Or to put another way, I've got an iPad and it doesn't do the job. I'm a software developer and you can't develop on it.

If they made an iPad that had a keyboard like Microsoft's Surface and ran OSX, and updates OSX to have touch as a the primary input, then I'd get one. Don't see that happening any time soon, so my hope remains MBA with Touch.

• Reply 96 of 103
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    ku-xlarge.jpg
    <span style="line-height:107%;font-family:Calibri, 'sans-serif';font-size:11pt;">©</span>
    J.Ives 2013

Hmm...his name is Ive, not Ives.
  • Reply 97 of 103

Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I'd also like touch as I think it's insane not to have touch. Hence I'd like a MBA with touch.

Try using that for more than five seconds at a time.

Or to put another way, I've got an iPad and it doesn't do the job. I'm a software developer and you can't develop on it.

Yet!

• Reply 98 of 103
    Try using that for more than five seconds at a time.
    Sitting with a laptop on your lap scrolling by touching the screen is not that much different to using an iPad except you don't actually have to hold it. Its also a lot easier than the trackpad as its in a better position.

If its on a table then it still isn't that different. Plus when do you ever take more than 5 seconds to press a button or scroll on a screen? You would still have a trackpad and keyboard for longer stuff.
  • Reply 99 of 103
    timgriff84 wrote: »
    I'd like to see touch screen mac book airs. I'm after some Mac hardware, but I'm not going to buy anything that doesn't have touch. Particularly a laptop, the idea of getting a new laptop these days and having to use a pad to scroll what is on a screen 10 inches from the pad is just nuts.

I would hate to have a touch screen MBA. I despise having any types of finger prints on my MBA. That also adds an extra layer of complexity to the screen.

Microsoft has been the one putting touch screens on Windows 8 laptops (just to get their foot in the door for tablets). I am glad that Apple has chosen to not go that route.
  • Reply 100 of 103
    irun262 wrote: »
    I would hate to have a touch screen MBA. I despise having any types of finger prints on my MBA. That also adds an extra layer of complexity to the screen.

Microsoft has been the one putting touch screens on Windows 8 laptops (just to get their foot in the door for tablets). I am glad that Apple has chosen to not go that route.
    Wouldn't you just not use it if you didn't want fingerprints?

I've never had any use for the firewire and display ports on my macs, but I wouldnt say I hate having them. If you want to use it, its there. If you don't then you don't. Same with Apple's current mouse. If you want a right click you can, if you don't then you can stick to one button.