Motorola's new 'Moto X' smartphone will be built in Texas

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nonsense. Blame the politicians when you should be looking in the mirror.

Americans love their stuff cheap. That's why Walmart is the biggest retailer. That's why outsourcing happens (since companies that did not do so in response to the relentless pressure for price reduction -- and hence cost-cutting -- will be out of business in no time).

Exactly.  We demand lower prices, and many companies are forced to manufacture their goods overseas where labor costs are miniscule compared to here in America.  Furthermore, many countries have lax regulations on pollution and work environments, which makes it even cheaper to do business overseas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

huh? americans "love their stuff cheap" because they can not afford otherwise.  Outsourcing happens because the government favors it since it generates short term profits for the politicians puppet masters.   The compaines you mention will be "out of business in no time" because of unfair competition from other countries.  If you do not understand that, please do not comment any further as you have no clue.  Educate yourself.  Stop voting for Republicans and Democrats as they are all traitors and have zero interest in helping America.

The only thing our politicians have done to businesses with respect to sending them overseas is to levy steep corporate income taxes.  Businesses are in the business of making money, so they'll operate wherever they can to maximize profits.

• Reply 22 of 27
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Moto X? What a horrible name.

Yes, it ranks up there with crap names like OS X and iPad.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

To show my patriotic heart, my next phone will be one "made in the U.S.A.".  

Why Apple couldn't do this first, sigh...

• Reply 24 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    Word today that Motorola Mobility is building and shipping a mere 100K Moto X's per week which I would assume would be disappointing to them. No big surprise to me.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Word today that Motorola Mobility is building and shipping a mere 100K Moto X's per week which I would assume would be disappointing to them. No big surprise to me.

What is surprising is that the Moto X hasn't followed the usual Android formula, rave reviews at first to then crappy reviews down the line. It got lackluster reviews at first but anyone that's spend some time with it is giving it great reviews now.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    Motorola Mobility announced today that they will be closing the US plant by years end. It was a lot tougher to manufacture product in the US than they had hoped. Looks like future products will be coming from traditional Asian producers more than likely.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Good for them at least it is here not China!