Google Play Music All Access coming soon to Apple's iOS

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
At the D11 conference on Thursday, Google announced that its Play All Access subscription music service, announced earlier this month for other platforms, will also arrive on Apple's iOS platform in the coming weeks.

The announcement was made by Sundar Pichai, senior vice president for Android, Chrome and Google Apps at the search giant. The service is Google's Spotify competitor, allowing users to access unlimited music with a monthly subscription.

Play

In addition to similarities to Spotify, Google Play Music All Access also borrows elements from popular Internet radio service Pandora, allowing users to start a radio station from an individual track.

The service was announced earlier this month at Google's annual I/O developers conference. While the initial announcement encompassed Android smartphones and desktop browsers, Google has now revealed it also plans to bring cross-platform support to the iPhone and iPad.

Google Play Music All Access will also suggest new releases and other tracks that Google's algorithms think users will enjoy based on their listening habits. All Access will also allow users to blend their own tracks stored on the Google Play cloud service.

The imminent arrival of All Access on iOS comes as Apple is said to be working on its own so-called "iRadio" service. Recent reports have pegged Apple's alternative to launch as soon as this summer.

Unnamed sources in the music industry have indicated that Apple has been working behind the scenes to obtain the necessary rights from major publishers. It's been suggested that the "iRadio" service will be a custom streaming solution similar to Pandora.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    "Google Play Music All Access" — are they tone deaf?

A more anti-semantic moniker I have never seen.

And I thought "Key Lime Pie" was the nadir in naming . . .
  • Reply 2 of 15
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Will be interesting to see what iRadio will be, if it ever existed.

I wonder if there is going to be in app subscription and if so will Apple take a cut? I have the feeling you will need to subscribe before on the net and the app wont offer it to avoid paying Apple.

Another interesting point would be to see if Apple will make an windows and android iRadio app?  imo they should do it with Facetime, message and maps.

• Reply 3 of 15

I am wondering when is FB or Apple search coming on Android. Its all about eating away google's profits no matter how small they are which can grow big too!

• Reply 4 of 15
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Huh, what? 

• Reply 5 of 15
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    flaneur wrote: »

I thought the name was just all access. Calling it 'Google play music all access' is like calling angry birds 'Apple iTunes appstore angry birds'
  • Reply 6 of 15
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Here what I do not understand, if Android by Google own account is a far bigger market and vastly superior product than iOS why does google keep releasing product for a platform for which they keep telling people is loosing market share. Even M$ had to bully into making product for Mac back in the day since it did not make financial sense.

It the wizard of Oz in Google land, do not pay attention to guy behind the curtain just listen to his words since he speak no evil.

• Reply 7 of 15
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Here what I do not understand, if Android by Google own account is a far bigger market and vastly superior product than iOS why does google keep releasing product for a platform for which they keep telling people is loosing market share. Even M$ had to bully into making product for Mac back in the day since it did not make financial sense.

It the wizard of Oz in Google land, do not pay attention to guy behind the curtain just listen to his words since he speak no evil.

Because Google is a search/ads company, they own Android but they are fairly platform agnostic. They just want eyeballs, they don't care what platform those eyeballs are on.

Pretty simple, really.
  • Reply 8 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Because Google is a search/ads company, they own Android but they are fairly platform agnostic. They just want eyeballs, they don't care what platform those eyeballs are on.

Pretty simple, really.

I love how Google wants to make uniform services. I would love if Microsoft, Google, Blackberry, and Apple can get together and make ONE unified IM client. I don't have friends that only use iphones so imessage is not an end all.

• Reply 9 of 15
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Don't they realise though that by taking Apple on, on the hardware front they are driving Apple users to use alternative search engines. If they had not got involved in Android everyone on Apple devices and other OSs would still be using their search engine and they would maximise their revenue. I have an android tablet as well as an iPad and I hiave even changed to Bing on that.
  • Reply 10 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Don't they realise though that by taking Apple on, on the hardware front they are driving Apple users to use alternative search engines. If they had not got involved in Android everyone on Apple devices and other OSs would still be using their search engine and they would maximise their revenue. I have an android tablet as well as an iPad and I hiave even changed to Bing on that.

When did apple changed the default search engine? You are changing your search engine because you dislike google competing against apple.

• Reply 11 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

…competing…

*stifled laughter*

• Reply 12 of 15
    umumumumumum Posts: 76member

for once largest troll is in touch with reality, the idea thart apple has a compettive offer is indeed laughable

• Reply 13 of 15
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Well google get out of apples way!
    Google started competing by stilling there phone design, now were to them trying to rid apple out of apple
  • Reply 14 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by umumum View Post

for once largest troll is in touch with reality, the idea thart apple has a compettive offer is indeed laughable

Just shut up.

• Reply 15 of 15
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    "Coming weeks" means there's plenty of time for folks to try and like pandora, Spotify etc