Chicago Sun-Times axes all staff photographers, offers reporters 'iPhoneography training'

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 186
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Not only are we getting crap reporting these days, not they going to let those same crap reports trying and figure out how to take a picture with an iphone. I guess they will also being sending in their news reports via their iphones as well.

I sorry a large majority of people have no clue how to take pictures and even taking a picture which is relevant to want is going on. Case and point we had a small experimental plane crash where I live, the plan hit high tension power line and almost hit cars on the road before chasing and the local paper printed on stupid picture some person happen to take of the tail of the plain in the power line, online they posted some kid's phone video of him driving down the road taking about what he thought happen. There was not single profession picture of plane or fire cased by the plane.

I think you all will agree there are pictures which are done by professional which still are in everyone minds of important event in history. These pictures would not exist if it was not for the profession not so stupid person running around with a camera phone.

Considering newspapers are going the way of the dodo, perhaps these iPhotojournalists will apply for other jobs as they run around Chicago.
  • Reply 182 of 186
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Power Tools in the hands of babes does not make them master craftsman.

• Reply 183 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Power Tools in the hands of babes does not make them master craftsman.

True, but most consumers have a sense of taste and style that has been fed by Facebook, Flickr and TMZ.

• Reply 184 of 186
    cashawwcashaww Posts: 28member
    As a photographer, this is not surprising. They may have fired, meaning taken them off the payroll, but they may all become independent contractors. This is one of the main reasons I stay(ed) away from Weddings, and report photography when the digital cameras first came about in the early 2000s. As for being able to do both, my business partner is also a news guy, and he can record the interviews, while taking photos with his iPhone, but he does have the advantage of being a photographer. As for sports, as I understand it, most photogs are independents.
  • Reply 185 of 186
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    hmm wrote: »
    That is actually a possible death sentence for the publication. Freelancers in any industry charge more for the same amount of work to make up for the taxes, inconsistency, etc. If they aren't getting that, it decreases the quality of talent that they attract. There's a false notion that people are lined up, yet if it was the case, these companies would have made a similar culling years ago.

While I completely disagree with the CST decision to dump those photogs and I also agree that in general, freelancers have to charge more, unfortunately there will be a bunch of amateurs with equipment who will work for next to nothing, especially to cover sports and entertainment events or just to get hold of a press pass.

I produce web sites for musicians and do a lot of photography. We get tons of requests from "photographers" who want to shoot the shows (for free).

My father was a pro photographer and he's probably turning over in his grave. Except for the very top photogs- the ones who do magazine covers or ads for big companies, no one wants to pay them anymore.
  • Reply 186 of 186
    zoetmb wrote: »
    While I completely disagree with the CST decision to dump those photogs and I also agree that in general, freelancers have to charge more, unfortunately there will be a bunch of amateurs with equipment who will work for next to nothing, especially to cover sports and entertainment events or just to get hold of a press pass.

I produce web sites for musicians and do a lot of photography. We get tons of requests from "photographers" who want to shoot the shows (for free).

My father was a pro photographer and he's probably turning over in his grave. Except for the very top photogs- the ones who do magazine covers or ads for big companies, no one wants to pay them anymore.

Photos for straight information will be fine. Some of the reporters will have an eye for photography, most won't. Papers are bleeding money and must adapt or die sooner, rather than later.