Back panel claimed to be for Apple's low-cost iPhone shows curved design, Lightning port

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I don't believe this for a second.

I'm always suspect when there's nothing of the front, preferably video so we can see it is the same unit.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    poksi wrote: »
    :D   what a fake :D

the best possible scenario for this photo is iPhone 5 in very ugly case, blown in the middle...
    Maybe the bulge in the middle is the answer to all those folks who want Apple to stop making it thin and give it a bigger battery instead?
  • Reply 43 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Actually, going to a plastic case might have significant savings. You eliminate the cost of the aluminum (which is minor) but also all the machining costs. Quality control costs might well be lower.

However, I think your latter point is the relevant one. It's not about cost - it's about features/selling. Apple could probably introduce a low cost phone even with a metal case without having a large impact on profitability. The problem is that they can't afford for a low cost phone to cannibalize their premium phones - and a plastic case will help with that objective.

I'm not so sure you are right in that almost every Apple product that uses plastic, uses carbonate plastic and machines that plastic just as if it was aluminium, using essentially the same process. Typically it's the machining of one single piece of plastic as opposed to the more complicated metallic construction of the iPhone 5, but its a very similar type of manufacturing.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Why is it that leakers can't focus cameras?

Funny observation, Chab. Made me laugh! :)

• Reply 45 of 64
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    zoffdino wrote: »
    Apple better releases a bigger screen iPhone this year. They can call it iPhone 6, iPhone Max, or iPhone Jumbo, whatever they want. Samsung, HTC, LG, etc. pretty much every phone maker has a phone with screens bigger than the iPhone 5. Those phones have come to define what a "premium" phone looks like. The iPhone 5 should have had a bigger screen than 4", just when the concept of big screen phone started to take over the industry. Apple suffered a one-year lag, and if they don't fix it until next year, I'm afraid it may be too late.

How did Apple suffer a lag? The iPhone is still the most popular in the world. Apple will release a 5" iPhone as a complement if and only if it could be done without trade offs.
    jragosta wrote: »
    That's not entirely true. Apple has often sold products that might be considered 'low end'. For example, when the MBA came out, none of the Ultrabooks could beat the price. For a long time, Apple's larger iMac was very price-competitive.

Rather than 'low end', consider it as a 'value' product. Apple will not make junk, but there's no reason they can't use their supply chain and manufacturing expertise to make a quality product that provides a lower price than they have traditionally offered.

That's a common business strategy that only rarely gets executed well - enter a market with a premium product and create a solid and loyal customer base. Use your expertise in the market to find cost reduction strategies to allow you to reduce your costs enough to also compete at lower prices - displacing low priced junk with low priced quality products.

The challenge is not so much introducing a low priced product - Apple can easily do that. The challenge is making it appealing enough to attract new customers without greatly cannibalizing your premium customers.

The MBA isnt "low end. " it was higher priced than other laptops.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    . . . They can call it . . . iPhone Jumbo . . .

I think they should call it iPhone zoffdino in your honor.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Wall Street=greed
    They want Apple to shell out a cheapo iPhone just so they can create their predictions on the number that will sell and therefore raise the stock prices. Then they'll over speculate on the number that can be sold and when Apple has their quarterly report and the numbers don't add up.... BOOM!
    The stock drops and the suckers that bought at the top get fu****!
  • Reply 48 of 64
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, going to a plastic case might have significant savings. You eliminate the cost of the aluminum (which is minor) but also all the machining costs. Quality control costs might well be lower.

However, I think your latter point is the relevant one. It's not about cost - it's about features/selling. Apple could probably introduce a low cost phone even with a metal case without having a large impact on profitability. The problem is that they can't afford for a low cost phone to cannibalize their premium phones - and a plastic case will help with that objective.

I understand your point regarding Machining and QC, will have to wait to see if they really do release a low cost phone. I for one would sacrifice the materiality of the Aluminum build and buy a low cost iPhone ONLY IF the technology, specs and functionality was not reduced in any way. The reason being Ive always had a plastic protective case on the back of my iPhone anyway...the gorgeous diamond cut chamfered edges rarely see the light of day on my iPhone 5.

• Reply 49 of 64
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Perhaps not this image but I think there is a case to be made for Apple making a low-cost iPhone for 1) China Mobile, India, et al., and 2) removing the iPhone 4S from the lineup so that 3.5" and the 30-pin dock connector can be eliminated in favour of 4" and Lightning port.

This may be a prototype for a mold. Yes, aluminum may be cheaper or about same price as plastic, but maybe if this is true, plastic would be poised as a "lesser" element compared to sleek aluminum.

Apple doesn't need the low-end, of course. They just need the middle and/or middle-class around the world who can't afford an iPhone now.

No reason to race to bottom. They do that now for laptops. Apple is doing pretty well by staying away from the low-end.

• Reply 50 of 64
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluenix View Post

I am not so convinced that "big screen phones started to take over the industry". For me this is mainly a niche for geeks (no offence intended!). People who are actually using a phone on the go want to make calls, text/email and look up directions or some things on the net. Even for casual games you don't need a big screen.

Mistaken, much mistaken, my friend. There exists a substantial number of people like you, who value the small screen and the portability. There are also a substantial number of people, like my 45 year old aunts, who look at an S2 (yes, that old) and think it's more powerful than the iPhone 5 due solely to the bigger screen. She play casual games, make phone calls, send text messages, browse the internet, etc. She's hardly geeky, and when my 60-something parents saw her S2, they think my iPhone 4S is older, slower, less capable. It's all in the impression.

When Apple releases the original iPhone back in 2007, it defines the "look" of a premium, top-end phone: all touch, large screen (I think 3.5" was largest at the time),  lots of nice graphics, do a ton more than just making phone calls. Everyone copied that design, and now they are making it larger. Apple somehow still stubbornly refuses to do it. Every $400+ these days have larger screens than a $600 iPhone. It's hard to recommend friends and relatives to choose the iPhone when they see a competitor and say "but this one has a bigger screen". 

• Reply 51 of 64
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Apple doesn't need the low-end, of course. They just need the middle and/or middle-class around the world who can't afford an iPhone now.

No reason to race to bottom. They do that now for laptops. Apple is doing pretty well by staying away from the low-end.

it's all about mind share. When your platform falls from 20% of the smartphone base, to 10% and finally 5%, much fewer developers will develop apps for your platform. Windows, Blackberry, Bada, etc. are all suffering from the same problem. Apple needs the cheaper phone, not because of the profit they will make on it, but just to keep the mind share at a high enough level for people to work on their platform. They made a mistake in the late 80s, and that made them go for years without much third party software when those exploded on the Windows platform. A lesson from the past, better be learned than ignored.

• Reply 52 of 64
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    simtub wrote: »
    I understand your point regarding Machining and QC, will have to wait to see if they really do release a low cost phone. I for one would sacrifice the materiality of the Aluminum build and buy a low cost iPhone ONLY IF the technology, specs and functionality was not reduced in any way. The reason being Ive always had a plastic protective case on the back of my iPhone anyway...the gorgeous diamond cut chamfered edges rarely see the light of day on my iPhone 5.

You're dreaming. There's no way Apple is going to release a low cost phone with all the same technology, specs, and functionality as the high end phone. That would cost them billions in revenue. There are a lot of people who don't care about the appearance - only what the phone will do (especially since the phone is in a case, anyway). Everyone one of those people (which includes me) would immediately switch to the low cost iPhone.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I'm not so sure you are right in that almost every Apple product that uses plastic, uses carbonate plastic and machines that plastic just as if it was aluminium, using essentially the same process. Typically it's the machining of one single piece of plastic as opposed to the more complicated metallic construction of the iPhone 5, but its a very similar type of manufacturing.

Where did you get that? What Apple products use machined plastic? My old iPods were molded plastic. There may have been a little machining for cleanup, but the part itself was clearly molded. Look at the surface finish - that's not machined.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    bluenix wrote: »
    Apple will NOT release a bigger screen for any iPhone or iPod touch. They keep it "simple" for developers, and a second screen resolution would NOT help.

Second? Since you're obviously not conversant with Apple technology, why are you commenting at all?

Developers already support at lest 3 different iPhone resolutions.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    it's all about mind share. When your platform falls from 20% of the smartphone base, to 10% and finally 5%, much fewer developers will develop apps for your platform. Windows, Blackberry, Bada, etc. are all suffering from the same problem. Apple needs the cheaper phone, not because of the profit they will make on it, but just to keep the mind share at a high enough level for people to work on their platform. They made a mistake in the late 80s, and that made them go for years without much third party software when those exploded on the Windows platform. A lesson from the past, better be learned than ignored.

This is not the PC wars part deux. Devs still make more money from iOS. As a platform, you need to add iPad and the touch to the iPhone to get a true market share.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

MacRumors proved this was an iPhone 5 case.

• Reply 57 of 64
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    Nonsense.

I ain't typing anything into Google! First of all, the level of intelligence that uses Google doesn't have any business setting the name for one of the most popular electronics products on the planet.

I think it's ludicrously likely. Occam's razor says they should call it simply "iPhone", but we know the most intelligent thing isn't what they're after anymore. :lol:

Of course it's possible that it will just be called the iPhone, or the iPhone (v6.8) :lol:

The comment about Google just refers to the "trending" popular name in all media, not just tech media. If that isn't definitive enough (though it is perfectly scientific), think of the perception of the S products in the media. They're not milestones. Certainly not revolutionary. The look on Tim Cook's face when questioned by Mossberg was enough. They can't release a 5S in this climate.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Perhaps not this image but I think there is a case to be made for Apple making a low-cost iPhone for 1) China Mobile, India, et al., and 2) removing the iPhone 4S from the lineup so that 3.5" and the 30-pin dock connector can be eliminated in favour of 4" and Lightning port.

Well I know there is case in India,but few in this discussion always say it not required. If Apple did make a low-cost, high- quality iPhone. I really think that Apple's brand image would sell the phone especially in India/China and Indonesia.

As for the comments about larger screen for next generation iPhone, Apple have to be careful, not to increase the size too much and I could see the screen going to 4.5-4.6", but any larger very much doubt it.

I see someone is up to their usual behaviour. I wonder why people hide behind computer screens to be rude.

• Reply 60 of 64
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

lol I've seen better fake samples :P