Apple releases OS X 10.8.4 with Wi-Fi & Exchange improvements

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I hope this resolves the WiFi problems I'm having on my 15" rMBP. Several times a day when I'm working, I'lll loose all internet activity to my router even though the WiFi "fan" icon is still solid black. I then have to disable my WiFi, then reenable it and it works again (until it dies a few hours later).

I seriously doubt it's my router because all of my other devices don't have any problems -- my iPhone 5 stays connected all the time and my Roku is streaming CNN pretty much all day long via WiFi and never coughs up a lung.

Same here - older (2009) MBP but random others in the office with the retina have the same problem. When it happens to me I can still ping IP addresses but looks like nothing above the IP/ICMP layer is functional. 

What kind of router? Ours are Merakis. I'm really looking forward to seeing if this fixes our issue.

• Reply 42 of 53
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 137member

This is probably old news but I see Mail is now version 6.5.  Anyone know if there are fixes here for rich text formatting (sending) or MIME formatting (receiving)?

• Reply 43 of 53
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapper67 View Post

Same here - older (2009) MBP but random others in the office with the retina have the same problem. When it happens to me I can still ping IP addresses but looks like nothing above the IP/ICMP layer is functional. 

What kind of router? Ours are Merakis. I'm really looking forward to seeing if this fixes our issue.

I'm using a TP-Link WDR3600.

• Reply 44 of 53
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    And you're sure it has anything to do with OS X, Safari, or a specific Mac? Sounds exactly like what happens when Flash is being a… well, Flash. 
    I agree Flash is the issue, This website causes the above when viewed on my rMbp.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jingo wrote: »
    Check out the Apple discussions board for the many other people who have ecxperienced the same issue. It's not just me, and no, I really don't think it is just this Mac. The Mac works absolutely fine when Safari isn't running for weeks at a time with fifteen or so apps running, but if you launch Safari then it will inevitably crash some time within the next couple of hours or so.

There is nothing to see in the Console and I have spent ages cleaning up my extensions, plugins, kexts, drivers etc to make sure they are all clean. Still makes no difference.

And Flash - well, yes, Flash can be rubbish, but it doesn't crash in conjunction with Firefox if it is the cause, so I still point the finger at Safari.

My guess is that it may be a graphics driver problem which is why it appears to affect some Macs and not others, but this is just supposition.

The problem with discussion boards is they are full of people that often have the same problem and they reinforce each other when often they are missing the real reason for a problem.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

This update supposedly fixes iMessages being out of order. Will believe when seen.

• Reply 47 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

Wonder if part of the wifi fix is getting your Mac to automatically join when waking. Having to click the wifi icon and join every time is annoying.

Never had this problem on my MBA or iMac.  I actually had a lighting strike blow out my modem, router, and the ehternet port on my iMac so I have to use WIFI only on it and have never once had to click on the WIFI icon to join after waking it.

• Reply 48 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    I hope this resolves the WiFi problems I'm having on my 15" rMBP. Several times a day when I'm working, I'lll loose all internet activity to my router even though the WiFi "fan" icon is still solid black. I then have to disable my WiFi, then reenable it and it works again (until it dies a few hours later).

I seriously doubt it's my router because all of my other devices don't have any problems -- my iPhone 5 stays connected all the time and my Roku is streaming CNN pretty much all day long via WiFi and never coughs up a lung.

Other devices not being disconnected doesn't mean it's not a problem that doesn't reside from your router or that it's a problem that must reside in your RMBP. The nature of WiFi makes it impossible to determine such things without a more complete investigation. What troubleshooting have you done?
  • Reply 49 of 53

The software update was NOT available through the App store.  I had to manually download it via Apple support.

A big PIA.

• Reply 50 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by HappyAppleUser View Post

The software update was NOT available through the App store.  I had to manually download it via Apple support.

A big PIA.

How horrible¡ image

• Reply 51 of 53
    idip31idip31 Posts: 2member

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyAppleUser View Post

A big PIA.

I'm downloading it through the App Store now, and it's downloading painfully slow. 744MB of updates @ estimated 2.5 hours on a 18Mbps net connection. Sigh.

• Reply 52 of 53
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

We're using a current-generation Time Capsule as a router. We periodically lose our internet connection for a minute or two. Access to other device on the LAN continues to work so we can still copy files, etc., but no browser action. The lights on the modem indicate there SHOULD be internet, but one of us won't be able to open a web page. Our ISP reports 100% uptime on our modem with no dropouts whatsoever.

The weird part is that it's computer-specific. My wife's machine will lose internet access while mine is fine and vice-versa. Occasionally both will drop at the same time, but usually it's just one or the other.

It's rare that we have to disable/re-enable WiFi to get it back though. Usually it comes back "magically" after a minute or two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

This update supposedly fixes iMessages being out of order. Will believe when seen.

Has Apple ever released a piece of software screwier than Messages? Gad, what a clusterfook. The problems with Maps positively PALE in comparison to how comically bad that app is. Damn shame, too, because I really really really want it to work! I HATE typing on that tiny little iPhone screen when I have a full-size keyboard and screen right in front of me.

If this update really does anything to improve the state of the Messages app I will be very happy. At this point, "less broken" would be welcome! image

• Reply 53 of 53
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

After a night of normal use, I can say that Messages seems to be working as advertised, though it is a bit slower. Loading messages in chronological order must be tough!

I wonder if it has anything to do with iCloud. Like, did they fix the backend, did they stop using iCloud, what?