ITC sales ban on old iPhones, iPads predicted to have minimum financial impact on Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple is probably working on a rejiggered iPhone 4 as the new low cost iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Am I missing something or is another route possible. Couldn't Apple just pay Samsung the licensing fees and be done with it?

• Reply 23 of 35
    Samsung: "I've done far worse than kill you: I've hurt you. And I wish to go on...hurting you. I shall leave you as you left her. Marooned for all eternity at the center of a dead planet... buried alive... buried alive...."
  • Reply 24 of 35
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Perhaps the financial impact of sales ban is minimal. But do we know for sure the overall financial impact will be "minimal" when they still have to negotiate a settlement for units already sold (assuming Apple's appeal does not succeed)?

This may be a precursor of the future. Product cycles outpace court proceedings. So sales bans will almost never be imposed early enough. All that's left to do is determination of damages. The companies would have served themselves better to have negotiated and settled amongst themselves in the first place.

• Reply 25 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    stelligent wrote: »
    Perhaps the financial impact of sales ban is minimal. But do we know for sure the overall financial impact will be "minimal" when they still have to negotiate a settlement for units already sold (assuming Apple's appeal does not succeed)?

This may be a precursor of the future. Product cycles outpace court proceedings. So sales bans will almost never be imposed early enough. All that's left to do is determination of damages. The companies would have served themselves better to have negotiated and settled amongst themselves in the first place.

The ITC doesn't involve itself with past infringement or any related monetary compensation for it.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    The ITC doesn't involve itself with past infringement or any related monetary compensation for it.

So we can expect another Sammy lawsuit? Joy!
  • Reply 27 of 35
    jungmark wrote: »
    So we can expect another Sammy lawsuit? Joy!

IMHO it's not about money for either company.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There is more to development of these cases than just ITC rulings. But you already knew that. So what's your point?

• Reply 29 of 35
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member

Samsung especially and Apple are keeping ITC employees in a job, you never hear of cut backs in that government organisation

• Reply 30 of 35
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

This is bad for Apple in terms of PR, whether the effect on sales will be measurable or not. The general public doesn't recognize a distinction between FRAND patents and the rest. I'd wager that the ITC didn't fully take into account FRAND licensing practices, but the ITC just gave some number of people reason to believe Samsung has at least as legitimate (or illegitimate) a business as Apple.

• Reply 31 of 35
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Samsung especially and Apple are keeping ITC employees in a job, you never hear of cut backs in that government organisation

Off-topic: Outside of the military, when have you ever heard of the federal government cutting employees other than through attrition?

• Reply 32 of 35
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Samsung: "I've done far worse than kill you: I've hurt you. And I wish to go on...hurting you. I shall leave you as you left her. Marooned for all eternity at the center of a dead planet... buried alive... buried alive...."

You sir have won this thread.

Of course, Steve Jobs basically said: "He tasks me, he tasks me!" so I'm really confused on who's who. 

• Reply 33 of 35
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Am I missing something or is another route possible. Couldn't Apple just pay Samsung the licensing fees and be done with it?

I believe the answer to that is yes.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    stelligent wrote: »
    There is more to development of these cases than just ITC rulings. But you already knew that. So what's your point?

No idea what you're referring to. Are you saying that Samsung has also filed a civil suit to collect back-royalties based on those same patent claims? That Samsung's intent was just to collect money? That's seemed to me the question the OP had. If so it obviously wasn't going to be via the ITC which he perhaps didn't realize..

If that's not what you're getting at then just what's YOUR point? I've never been good at riddles and suck at charades.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    spacepowerspacepower Posts: 208member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    The fact that the ITC eventually issued a ban with no economic harm to the infringer (since it took two years to decide) isn't nearly as newsworthy as the fact the ITC has chosen to allow injunctions based on SEP claims to continue. THAT'S the big news.

This is what I find interesting.

The import ban along with the cease and desist ( which HTC didn't get ) over FRAND SEPs is one of the most extreme decisions yet by the ITC in the mobile wars.

Considering this goes against the FTC/Google agreement, congress calls for reform, and Obama's new opinions.

I can't figure out if this is:

1. The ITC sticking a flag in the ground to maintain their power and relavance ~ politics

2. The ITC deciding to take an extreme stance in order to force Congress to legislate and clean up the rules so that they use.

Hmmmm