Apple retail stores to begin taking iPhone trade-ins - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Ok, I'll bite, because I will enjoy using you as an example of those who can't see how Apple works, even when Tim Cook spells it out for you.

He says, Apple won't release a larger-screened phone because it would mean too many trade-offs, and thus it could not be up to Apple's standards. In other words, the technology isn't there yet. Batteries are not up to it, GF2 film is in short supply, IGZO screens aren't available yet . . . do you need more?

You should realize these things, but all you know is that Samsung can crank out big-screen dodgy junk with AMOLED screens, and HTC can make a few million Ones, where Apple would have to be prepared to make ten or twenty million.

If these technical problems were solved in a cost-effective way, we would have already had a retina iPad mini, right? Right?

I don't want to see you post this dumb stuff again. Ever. Technology and ruthless attention to detail is what determines what Apple releases, not the wishes of the glitz-driven geek minority.

Edit: Plus what TheOtherGeoff says above, but I think they'll solve the bigger-screen problems sooner than he says. I think they're waiting for IGZO or something similar.

Your condescension is misplaced. The HTC One and Galaxy S4 do not have battery issues. The One's display is absolutely brilliant and suffers from none of the Samsung issues. My opinion is Mr. Cook is stalling because he was caught off guard by the popularity of these phones, or he is misdirecting because there's something already in the pipeline, but his comments were disingenuous.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

Your condescension is misplaced. The HTC One and Galaxy S4 do not have battery issues. The One's display is absolutely brilliant and suffers from none of the Samsung issues. My opinion is Mr. Cook is stalling because he was caught off guard by the popularity of these phones, or he is misdirecting because there's something already in the pipeline, but his comments were disingenuous.

I have had no issues with my S4. My battery lasts about 30 hours of normal(for me) use.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Seems a good recycling / US price maintenance mechanism.

Best not to have iPhone clogging up ebay.
    For some it might also be seen as a loyalty bonus.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Various options on newer phones is always positive more than negative. It also impacts the competitor sales and boost Apple sales in a big way. Its not always about selling in numbers but also about killing the competition before it grows big!
    So now how about your BS without Steve Jobs? 

Did I refuse to acknowledge Apple's (S.J) Success?  Looks like you are losing money in aapl.

Why does Android have to die? Don't get me wrong, a stolen product should be pulled. Apple is winning profit share.

Apple will release a 5" phone when it feels it's ready. No sooner. If you rush to respond to a competitor, you'll end up with Android honeycomb.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Sorry but I'm not buying it. A company that could do with a business push associates themselves with a bigger and very popular company via a gullible 'news' site claiming 'people close to the matter that won't give names because it hasn't been announced'. Yeah right. If there is any truth to this there aren't likely many that know the plan and thus jobs and business contracts would be at risk for leaking this.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    geekdad wrote: »
    What...wait 10% off. So if I trade in my IP4s for a IP5s...it will get 10% off the $199? Or were you hoping for the off contract price of i don't know $600? Either way that is not much of a savings.....Might have worked for lower priced iPods but not so for higher priced contract phones.

My guess is that there is a catch, assuming any of it is legit. Like say yes it is 10% off but only if you buy your phone full price.

Which might be okay if it was an iPhone 5S. S in this case being Single model that works on CDMA and GSM world wide
  • Reply 27 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

This offer essentially gives you squat for your old phone. They simply move your upgrade date up. 

Only by virtue of the fact that you just renewed. Unless you buy it full price. 

My guess, if this is true, is that it more a ploy to get folks to get back $50-75 if they use an upgrade they have not and not burn a replacement part doing the $149-199 OOW replacement in order to wait until the new announcement. Not like it is likely to be anything huge over the iPhone 5 anyway. So folks get a newer phone, the carrier gets a renewed contract, warranty on the dang thing and that service part can be used for someone that needs it more. 

• Reply 28 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

My guess is that there is a catch, assuming any of it is legit. Like say yes it is 10% off but only if you buy your phone full price.

Which might be okay if it was an iPhone 5S. S in this case being Single model that works on CDMA and GSM world wide

I think you're right there has to be more to it than what the article says......but then 10% off a off contract iphone is not that much. People could seel them and at least double that price...
  • Reply 29 of 41
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Why are they using Brightstar? They should use Apple Ireland...pay $200 for the old phone, sell it to Apple Ireland for $5 and write off the $195 loss. Then Apple Ireland resells it overseas for $150 and pays no taxes on it.

LOL...I'm kidding people! :-D
  • Reply 30 of 41
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    wiggin wrote: »
    Why are they using Brightstar? They should use Apple Ireland...pay $200 for the old phone, sell it to Apple Ireland for $5 and write off the $195 loss. Then Apple Ireland resells it overseas for $150 and pays no taxes on it.

LOL...I'm kidding people! :-D

hey, if they can do that and it's legal, why not?

how much stuff have you bought and/or sold online and paid no taxes on it? (and if you've done that it's likely you're outside the law, whereas apple is likely adhering to the law.)

take any deductions/credits/losses on your annual taxes? shame on you.

and i'm not kidding ...

seriously, i loathe corporate amercia and think that most corporations are the evilest bastards around. (although i must disclose that of all the corporations i hate, and it's all of them, i hate apple the least. heck, i actually *like* apple. so much so that i own their stock.) with that said, i don't fault them for taking every advantage to maximize the amount of they get to keep. they (and other monied entities) just do it better than we as individuals can because they have far more resources and money available to figure out *how* to do it.

wanna fix the problem, write the representatives you elected to represent you.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

They do have battery issues, these devices are not perfect.

The popularity of the One is almost non-existant for the S4 it's a short lived moment of glory due to Samsung advertising saturating every form of media and the S4 being new.

If you think Cook is not aware that this is a normal course of events, taking a viewpoint longer than a month, then you've got another think coming.

• Reply 32 of 41
    pooch wrote: »
    Don't forget to sign your name on a check.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    larrya wrote: »

My condescension I will gladly shift over to you. Samsung is using AMLOED displays, something which Apple would never use at this stage of half-assed development. Even if they would, Samsung would throttle the supply the way they have done with HTC.

HTC does have a brilliant display, but an example of Cook's trade-off realism would be illustrated by a question like, can whoever supplies it also supply 30 million or so to Apple, like right now, at the right price, at the right quality yield?

You should stifle your derision for Apple's market wisdom until you see what they are going to do with IGZO.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    pooch wrote: »
    jungmark wrote: »
    Don't forget to sign your name on a check.

yeah, sorry about that ... every once in a while a synapse misfires and i think our elected officials actually have our interests at heart. not to worry, the thought has since vaporized.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I seriously doubt not releasing a retina iPad mini was due to technological barriers. I think it had far more to do with financial and marketing reasons. They make a larger profit from selling the larger iPad so why would they give customers even one less reason to buy the more expensive model. Also Apple traditionally leaves one or more features off a product on purpose even if they are very capable of adding it to entice people to get the newer model and this is especially true of 1st gen product like the mini. 

This is the way Apple has always operated so it is nothing new. It has worked very well for them over the years and I don't blame them for following this strategy since it leads to more often upgrades by customers.  It is also true that Apple has extremely high quality standards and that sometimes leads to delays like adding 3G, LTE, copy/paste, and many other features where they were a year or more behind Android phones. Samsung and other Android makers follow the opposite model and throw everything but the kitchen sink at their new phones whether it is ready or not and hope something sticks. This is sometimes successful and sometime fails miserably. Their new gestures feature is a good example of something that probably needed more testing but their IR TV remote is an example of something that seems to work very well. 

The technological barriers to a larger iPhone have already been solved. It is fair to say that costs, supply restraints, or some other issues are in play but I don't buy Tim's lines about not making compromises on quality. Until they make a larger version of the iPhone I would expect nothing less than to talk down and offer excuses. My take is they were really caught off guard at just how popular these phones became and just need more time since that would be such an immense change to the platform. They also probably thought that increasing it to 4" would quell requests for an even larger version but it is pretty clear that Apple has little choice now but to add a larger phone. It is no longer a question of if but when. 

Do you not remember that the iPad mini HAD to come in at a low price? If you think Apple could have done that little package with a retina screen, even with a little larger package, at anywhere near a competetive price, then nothing you ever say again here should be taken seriously. Ever. Your first paragraph is scurrilous, libelous BS. I'll say it to you too: you'd better wait to see what they doing with IGZO, or you're going to look like the world's biggest fool.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Various options on newer phones is always positive more than negative. 

Maybe in theory; not always in practice.

Its not always about selling in numbers but also about killing the competition before it grows big!

No, for Apple it's about sales. You start to copy others, you lose the reason you exist in the first place.

So now how about your BS without Steve Jobs? 

What is this even supposed to mean?

Did I refuse to acknowledge Apple's (S.J) Success?

Do not equate Apple to Steve Jobs, please.

Looks like you are losing money in aapl.

I own no Apple stock. Find another theory.

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

What...wait 10% off. So if I trade in my IP4s for a IP5s...it will get 10% off the $199?

Oh, I don't know the details for the iPhone deal, if real; that's just what they did for the iPods. It makes sense they'd do it for full-price models only, I guess.

• Reply 37 of 41
    overlordoverlord Posts: 59member
    On another news site: "Used iPhones collected in the U.S. will only be resold in emerging markets, where Apple%u2019s share is lower and demand for cheap devices is greater according to the report."

:(

So in Brazil, i will pay full price for a... used and older phone.
    Way to go, Apple... sending the "trash" to "emerging markets".
  • Reply 38 of 41
    overlord wrote: »
    On another news site: "Used iPhones collected in the U.S. will only be resold in emerging markets, where Apple%u2019s share is lower and demand for cheap devices is greater according to the report."

So in Brazil, i will pay full price for a... used and older phone.
    Way to go, Apple... sending the "trash" to "emerging markets".

Who says it will charge full price? It'll probably be a refurbished price or slightly lower.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

There is no 'job' a 5" phone can do that a 4" phone can't do

Granted, but there are certainly tasks that are done much more EASILY on a 5" screen than on a 4" (or, let's be honest, what is really a stretched 3.5" screen).

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

If you buy an Apple phone for ONLY THE SCREEN SIZE, you're not buying apple, you're buying a big phone, and not the apps, not the customer service, not the ecosystem, not the halo, etc, etc, etc.

True enough. There are, though, as evidenced by posts to this very forum, some of us who just aren't bothering to replace our existing iPhones because what we really want is a larger screen, and a slightly stretched version of what we already have isn't a compelling enough reason to drop hundreds of dollars on a new phone. I already get most of the Apple experience with what I have now, and by not carrying any subsidy my monthly plan is cheaper. There's no point in me buying a new phone when it doesn't satisfy my primary want.

I don't know how many others feel the same way, but for me, screen size is pretty much the only obstacle to buying a new iPhone, and I'm not at all an outsider to the "Apple experience" or a "spot buyer."

• Reply 40 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

It's never made sense to compete against yourself, especially for a fraction of the market.   If the phone market was leaning 40% 5" and 40% 4" and 20% everything else, 5" would make sense.   But it isn't so Apple doesn't.   There is no 'job' a 5" phone can do that a 4" phone can't do, unlike an ipod shuffle vs an iPod Classic.

For 4 quarters after Apple sold the iPhone,  BlackBerrys sold more quarter over quarter.   By your argument, Apple should have build a keyboard based phone.   Granted, there is a fine line between head in the sand, and stay the course discipline, but I'll venture that the phone market will be 2 vendors making the majority of profits for quite a while.  If the market grows (which it will for another 3 years), everything is fine with Apple splitting profits 49-49, and let microsoft/nokia/RIM/AndroidCabal split the remaining 2%.  

a 5" phone only cannibalizes the 4" and the iPad Mini LTE versions.  If you buy an Apple phone for ONLY THE SCREEN SIZE, you're not buying apple, you're buying a big phone, and not the apps, not the customer service, not the ecosystem, not the halo, etc, etc, etc.  In short, you're a spot buyer, and in a niche that few people are at.  Apple doesn't market to the few.   

This is never about killing the competition... it's letting the competition kill themselves trying to differentiate.   Mr Cook's model is to make things at an amazing cost to produce, with amazing quality, with an amazingly low product to market budget.   Apple's Model (on top of that) is to be 'late' to market with what the Middle 50% want, and let quality, app choice, ease of use (not of the hw, but of the ecosystem) drive consumer choice.  

Never saying never, Apple will likely have a 5" phone... in 2-3 years, once the 3.5" form factor is retired.   That to me is the only reason why I consider a 'cheap iPhone' as a remote possibility... to accelerate the 4s retirement party by a year.

As for those losing money in apple, they are the late money. those of us in at 40 are still at a 11bagger, plus effectively a 30% dividend on the cost basis.  We're doing okay;-)

But what if you want all the things you point out in the highlighted portion....but just on a larger screen?