Big news probably await us at WWDC 2002

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Fred Anderson (Apple's CFO) filed to sell 100,000 shares around April 30th. This is now the 3rd top Apple executive to do so in the last month, and for around the same date (WWDC is on May 5th).

I say they expect a spike in the stock price.

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: *l++ ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    sliceslice Posts: 10member
    Wouldn't that be called insider trading?
  • Reply 2 of 34
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    If they had not filed with the SEC it would. But they did.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by *l++:

<strong>Fred Anderson (Apple's CFO) filed to sell 100,000 shares around April 30th. This is now the 3rd top Apple executive to do so in the last month, and for around the same date (WWDC is on May 5th).

I say they expect a spike in the stock price.

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: *l++ ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Please don't try to come off as someone who follows AAPL.... Why don't you do just a tad bit of research first?

Apple's top management hasn't **held** AAPL stock for many many years... Once their options are 'in the money' they have sold.

How many shares has Steve held?

How many shares has Fred held?

How many shares has Mitch held?

Look at the history of the company and it'll tell the story. The top brass at Apple has (for the most part) ALWAYS SOLD their options..

This is nothing new and nothing to worry (or get excited) about.

D
  • Reply 4 of 34
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    But wouldn't they buy rather than sell if they expected a stock price increase?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>But wouldn't they buy rather than sell if they expected a stock price increase?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Many of their stock options are from the days where they could purchase apple stock at 40 dollars. Umm, if I could find someone to purchase those, I would definitely sell.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveGee:

<strong>

Please don't try to come off as someone who follows AAPL.... Why don't you do just a tad bit of research first?

Apple's top management hasn't **held** AAPL stock for many many years... Once their options are 'in the money' they have sold.

How many shares has Steve held?

How many shares has Fred held?

How many shares has Mitch held?

Look at the history of the company and it'll tell the story. The top brass at Apple has (for the most part) ALWAYS SOLD their options..

This is nothing new and nothing to worry (or get excited) about.

D</strong><hr></blockquote>

You should also do your research. What you sell when you exercise an option is stock, even if you never actually get it in hand. This is not a call option as one can buy on the market.

As for the selling, I would have been the first one to say that each and every one of those people commonly exercise their options, and that they probably were recently granted more (after the number of executive stock options for this year was recently passed).

1 executive is nothing, 2 is a coincidence, but 3 trying to sell around the same time is too much for a coincidence.

Look at the SEC filings and tell me when it last happened.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I think it means that Fred wants a new Jaguar XKR Convertible for his summer racing up and down the coast of California.

If it means anything for Apple I would be much more calm if he bought stocks before WWDC instead of selling them.

And BTW: Since he made it common knowledge by his report the marked would have reacted to the news now if it thought it meant anything and it hasn´t. Sorry
  • Reply 8 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>I think it means that Fred wants a new Jaguar XKR Convertible for his summer racing up and down the coast of California.

If it means anything for Apple I would be much more calm if he bought stocks before WWDC instead of selling them.

And BTW: Since he made it common knowledge by his report the marked would have reacted to the news now if it thought it meant anything and it hasn´t. Sorry</strong><hr></blockquote>

The problem is that it can always mean three things:

1) They all 3 need cash, or want to diversify their investment.

2) The stock is about to tank.

3) The stock is about to go up.

This is why the market does not react.

But:

1) Is a large coincidence given the number of people and the similar timing.

2) Unless a profit warning is coming (which I doubt), I can see no adverse news in the short future.

3) Is what is left.
  • Reply 9 of 34

<strong>

1) Is a large coincidence given the number of people and the similar timing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey if one at the office gets a Jaguar XKR Convertible then everybody wants one
  • Reply 10 of 34

<strong>

Hey if one at the office gets a Jaguar XKR Convertible then everybody wants one </strong><hr></blockquote>

And they are all moving to Montana so they can race them

A Jaguar XKR on California highway during rush hour seems like a waste of power. Better get a Bentley and go slow.
  • Reply 11 of 34

<strong>

The problem is that it can always mean three things:

1) They all 3 need cash, or want to diversify their investment.

2) The stock is about to tank.

3) The stock is about to go up.

This is why the market does not react.

But:

1) Is a large coincidence given the number of people and the similar timing.

2) Unless a profit warning is coming (which I doubt), I can see no adverse news in the short future.

3) Is what is left.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don´t you think the marked could figure the same thing out (what you said after the "but") if it was true?
  • Reply 12 of 34

<strong>

Don´t you think the marked could figure the same thing out (what you said after the "but") if it was true?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have been following AAPL for a while, and the market has misspredicted many significant piece of news about the company (good and bad).

There may be much wishful thinking in my comments, and I am not about to go buy stock on the hunch, but this does seem strange.

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: *l++ ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 34
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I've never personally paid any attention, but when the new iMac came out all of the finacial sites were writing about how apple's stock always dips after any big announcement.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by giant:

<strong>I've never personally paid any attention, but when the new iMac came out all of the finacial sites were writing about how apple's stock always dips after any big announcement.</strong><hr></blockquote>

...And how it rises before. No one is expecting anything earth shattering at WWDC, and the stock has been relatively flat relatively to the market.
  • Reply 15 of 34

<strong>

I have been following AAPL for a while, and the market has misspredicted many significant piece of news about the company (good and bad).

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I´ll give you that: After each SteveNote the marked has, without any exceptions, done excatly the opposite of what I had expected it to do. Apparently the marked loves iCards, KidSafe and flower infected iMacs and just HATES LCD iMac, Ti and iceBooks.

BTW. The point of Jaguars is actually not to race them but just to stand nonchalant next to them in a very beautiful spot like by a lake somewhere in Switzerland or Scotland, drinking a vodka and lemon with Nicole Kidman and looking at the sunset after having eaten a very nice dinner at a small restaurant and just before driving home and shagging her.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    eddivelyeddively Posts: 74member
    but..more importantly, I hope Steve-o and the rest of Apple are Bimmer-people. BMW is by far a better company than Jag, plus Steve likes to use BMW as an example for market share..mmm M3 GTR..mmm...
  • Reply 17 of 34
    [quote]BTW. The point of Jaguars is actually not to race them but just to stand nonchalant next to them in a very beautiful spot like by a lake somewhere in Switzerland or Scotland, drinking a vodka and lemon with Nicole Kidman and looking at the sunset after having eaten a very nice dinner at a small restaurant and just before driving home and shagging her.<hr></blockquote>

hey, you were there yesterday...?

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: Strangelove ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 34
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    just in case no one mentioned it, some execs of companies have a limited window where they can exercise. And some companies force them to buy and subsequently sell.

From what I've been told
  • Reply 19 of 34
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    [quote] I´ll give you that: After each SteveNote the marked has, without any exceptions, done excatly the opposite of what I had expected it to do. <hr></blockquote>

But MOST importantly, Anders, the word is MARKET. with a "T" - not a "D" as you've spelled it repeatedly in this thread. Personally, I'll take your stock interpretations with a grain of salt.

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: Reid ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 34
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    First of all, Steve's a Mercedes fan. Second of all, they're all probably following their fearless leader's advice and are preordering a few <a href="http://www.news24.com/News24/Wheels24/0,3999,2-15_1157306,00.html"; target="_blank">of these babies</a> (Mercedes/McLaren SLR).