Ad guru Lee Clow talks Steve Jobs and Apple at PTTOW media summit

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So personal attacks instead of proving me wrong.

Kind of a drag when Rule #1 is ignored, isn't it?

• Reply 42 of 45

Quote:

Call me when you know for a fact that he knows why Apple has its name. He doesn't.

Clow was a personal friend of Jobs for 30 years.  Chances are he knows more about Apple than you know about him.

• Reply 43 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Clow was a personal friend of Jobs for 30 years.  Chances are he knows more about Apple than you know about him.

Sure. But strange, then, that it'd be "believes" rather than "states".

I think, more than one story being true, that all of them are. It's quite probable that Steve, while eating an apple, came up with the name Apple. In the course of finding a "better name" before "going with that", he and those involved mulled over the fact that Apple was an approachable name. I believe strongly in the "eating an apple" and "before Atari in the phonebook" stories and that they came directly from Steve's mind. But there's nothing that I'd say is outright incorrect about Clow's take, just that his is neither definitive nor solitary.

• Reply 44 of 45

Quote:

Nut there's nothing that I'd say is outright incorrect about Clow's take

Thanks.  Surprising it took so many posts to arrive at that.

The only thing this article said that Clow "believes" about the name is simply, "Clow believes, however, that the tech guru knew personal computing would be somewhat daunting to the masses, and wanted a company name that would seem non-threatening."

There's nothing there in any way exclusive of additional reasons for choosing the word "Apple".  On the contrary, it merely supports them.

• Reply 45 of 45
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

People need to understand that at this level of client/agency interaction, the ad guys are truly insiders.  They are allowed to know things that only the highest of the higher ups know.  They know about new products before they are released, they know about long term plans, they know a tremendous amount about the companies they have accounts with.  It's the only way they can do their jobs.

Plus keep in mind that ad guys are not like normal people.  They really do think different.  Or at very least, they least think weird.  Engineers and software people don't come up with successful ad campaigns.