All Macs capable of running OS X Mountain Lion likely compatible with OS X 10.9 Mavericks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member

I am in a similar situation, with a mid-2007 iMac, 4GB of RAM, and ML installed. The machine is still going strong. The original internal HDD is backed up via TM, with a newer external HDD connected to a Firewire 800 port.

With Mavericks installed in the future, there should be some additional performance benefits -- due to Memory Compression and Timer Coalescing system software enhancements.

Edit: Ignore Timer Coalescing, which intended to lengthen battery life.

• Reply 22 of 34
    gordiogordio Posts: 69member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantz View Post

What I don't understand, from my developer's preview, is why Apple did not implement gorgeous IOS7 GUI to OS Mavericks. Puzzling and disappointing %u2013 so far.

I thought about it too, but I came to the conclusion it doesn't work.  A mac is not a device whose priority is simplicity. It may be user friendlier than windows, but in the end it's a machine that's built for consumer, office, and business. 

• Reply 23 of 34
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

That's good to hear for a lot of people, I'm sure.

As to Mavericks being more iOS7-like -- dear god no.  This is NOT a rip on iOS, as I think it looks like a great upgrade.  But why my OS that runs a 2012 27" iMac should be similar to what runs my iPhone 5 or iPad 3 -- I can't fathom.

As Microsoft is learning the hard way, keyboard/mouse/trackpad and touch are two ENTIRELY different paradigms.  I mean, sure, with the trackpad I get a boatload of multitouch gestures in ML.  And I use them, a lot.  But there's a huge difference between the two paradigms.

• Reply 24 of 34
    I know it is still in Beta, but I thought that Mac OSX was getting the complete GUI overhaul to be similar / consistent with iOS GUI overhaul by Jony Ive..? Is it just not complete yet, but will follow along iOS GUI aesthetic?
  • Reply 25 of 34
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    llibsetag wrote: »
    I know it is still in Beta, but I thought that Mac OSX was getting the complete GUI overhaul to be similar / consistent with iOS GUI overhaul by Jony Ive..? Is it just not complete yet, but will follow along iOS GUI aesthetic?

Again OS X and iOS 7 will not merge GUIs. It didn't work for win 8.
  • Reply 26 of 34

Just to be clear with my comment above... NO faux materials like "stitched leather, green felt, etc, etc" on Mac OSX 10.9 GUI is what I am talking about regarding upgrading the GUI... Not Windows 8 "Metro" GUI.

• Reply 27 of 34
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLIBSETAG View Post

Just to be clear with my comment above... NO faux materials like "stitched leather, green felt, etc, etc" on Mac OSX 10.9 GUI is what I am talking about regarding upgrading the GUI... Not Windows 8 "Metro" GUI.

Well, from the looks of the demo yesterday, they got rid of the skeumorphic design elements in OSX.  

• Reply 28 of 34
    I don't understand why I can't upgrade my 2006 iMac if it meets base specifications. Anyone know the reason?
  • Reply 29 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I don't understand why I can't upgrade my 2006 iMac if it meets base specifications. Anyone know the reason?

Because it doesn't meet the base specs.

• Reply 30 of 34
    No mention of the cost to upgrade to Mavericks/
  • Reply 31 of 34
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Because the 2006 iMac has a Core Duo CPU, which is 32-bit. ML and Mavericks are 64-bit OS(s) only.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_Duo/

• Reply 32 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by NJ Analyst View Post

Probably $20.

• Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Because the 2006 iMac has a Core Duo CPU, which is 32-bit. ML and Mavericks are 64-bit OS(s) only.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_Duo/

Actually, my iMac has a Core 2 Duo intel CPU AND is 64-bit, but Apple says my machine can't run the new software. I don't know why. :(

• Reply 34 of 34
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NJ Analyst View Post

Zero.

It's free.

That's a nice "innovation".