iOS 7 beta: iTunes Radio brings first ads to Apple's lock screen

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The new developer beta of iOS 7 with iTunes Radio includes a first for Apple: a direct link on the lock screen to the iTunes Store to purchase content.

Lock screen

When using the new iTunes Radio feature built in to the Music application in iOS 7, users can lock their iPhone's display and allow the music to keep streaming. Upon waking the device, the iPhone's lock screen will include the album art of the currently playing track.

At the bottom of that artwork is also a link, offering users the ability to "Download on iTunes" the currently playing song.

At the moment, the "Download on iTunes" link appears to only be shown to iTunes Radio users who are not subscribed to Apple's $24.99-per-year iTunes Match service. Those who are subscribers are simply shown the album cover of the currently playing track without the iTunes Store link.

But iTunes Match subscribers still have the option to buy the currently streaming song by launching the Music application. There, a link to the iTunes Store with the price of the track is displayed in the upper right corner of the Now Playing screen.

Because iOS 7 is beta, it's possible that this functionality could be changed before the mobile operating system is finalized and made available to the public. As a result, iTunes Match subscribers could potentially also gain the "Download on iTunes" link on their lock screen, while conversely the advertisement could be removed entirely.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    One day, smartphones will be free and subsidized by mobile payments, ads and coupons.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I can't imagine a single good reason to use iTunes "Radio."
  • Reply 3 of 22
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Is this really an ad? When I told my girlfriend that Apple was going to launch iRadio she said she would probably drop pandora because iRadio would make it easier for her to buy the songs she liked.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    That day will come when Kindles are already completely free, with ads.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    I'm assuming that eventually the ads will also show "recommended based on what you're listening to" content.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Is this really an ad? When I told my girlfriend that Apple was going to launch iRadio she said she would probably drop pandora because iRadio would make it easier for her to buy the songs she liked.

Exactly my thought. It's not an "ad" per-say, but yeah it is an offer to buy it. I agree with your girlfriend about that. The even bigger draw for me is the ability to choose whether songs are "Top Hits", niche songs (Discovery), or a mix of both. That's a feature I've been desperately wanting in current product offers from other companies and haven't seen until now.

• Reply 7 of 22
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member
    Don't know why Apple is making it harder for paid subscriber (iTunes Match users) to buy a song compared to non-subscribers. That link can be useful if that's a song I like and want to own.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

Don't know why Apple is making it harder for paid subscriber (iTunes Match users) to buy a song compared to non-subscribers. That link can be useful if that's a song I like and want to own.

It's not harder, really. It still shows it inside the application, just not on the homescreen.

• Reply 9 of 22
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    zoffdino wrote: »

The software is beta. Make your view known. For paid users that should be optional.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    gazoobee wrote: »

It is OK. Not everybody has a good imagination.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,945member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    For me, because it's there and it just works. Also because I like the smooth interoperability of staying within the Apple ecosystem.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If you have iTunes Match, it's a no-brainer freebie. Ad free iTunes Radio is worth 25 bucks a year.

• Reply 12 of 22
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

One day, smartphones will be free and subsidized by mobile payments, ads and coupons.

They said the same thing about Cable TV (which started as a paid, ad-free service).

I prefer a model where I can pay to opt out of the ads (which by their very nature tend to be riddled with spyware, tracking cookies, hidden redirects, etc.)

• Reply 14 of 22
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    I thought I read somewhere on Apple's website that the "adverts" themsevles will be AUDIO, so this isnt 'the' ad, rather just another way to buy the track being listened to (ok, which is sort of an ad!)
  • Reply 15 of 22
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

If you have iTunes Match, it's a no-brainer freebie. Ad free iTunes Radio is worth 25 bucks a year.

Exactly.  Now, for $2/month, I have iTunes Match and ad-free iTunes Radio.  That seems like a good deal.

And for me, the fact is that I never bothered with any of the streaming radio services, basically because I just wasn't motivated enough.  But now, I'm getting it for no extra cost, no ads, and it's totally integrated into an ecosystem into which I'm already very invested.

Seems perfect.  Heck, if I end up not using it, it didn't cost me a thing anyways.

• Reply 16 of 22
    I don't think offering me a link to buy what I'm listening to is an ad, rather it's a convenience. If this is what Apple considers "ad-supported" then sign me up.

At least with iRadio I know I won't be told that I have "1 new message waiting" *blinkblinkblinkblinkblink*. >_>
  • Reply 17 of 22
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

My imagination isn't that great, but I think iTunes Radio might be good for listening to music.

• Reply 18 of 22
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They have been getting more aggressive with the ads lately. Try using Home Sharing on your iPad to browse movies installed in iTunes on your Mac: it will start showing you ads. Keep in mind that this is not browsing the iTunes Store, this is only browsing one of your own HDs over your own LAN and it starts inserting ads.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This is not an ad. What a link-baity title!
  • Reply 20 of 22
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

I thought I read somewhere on Apple's website that the "adverts" themsevles will be AUDIO, so this isnt 'the' ad, rather just another way to buy the track being listened to (ok, which is sort of an ad!)

Agreed. This article is incorrect. Radio is providing an easy and unobtrusive means of purchasing the songs for those who wish to do so. The actual ads on radio will be audio.

Per Apple's site, "Instead of hearing the occasional ad, you can listen to iTunes Radio completely ad-free when you subscribe to iTunes Match." (emphasis added by me)