Benchmarks of Apple's new MacBook Airs reveal superfast PCIe memory, Haswell power savings

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It's possible that, taken in context, not many more than you were confused.

While not "confusing" in context, until you read all of the context it was misleading...when I first started reading the article I thought they were talking about the memory because, well, they said "memory". There are enough people out in the real world that are confused about memory vs storage already. This article will only muddy the waters further. So yeah, they should have been more clear.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    isteelers wrote: »
    Thanks

For what?
  • Reply 43 of 49
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    cash907 wrote: »
    My guess is because they are being jerks and holding it off until Mavericks is ready. They did the same thing to the Air refresh at the launch of Lion. And pretty much every iPhone update for the last three years. The hardware is ready months before the software, but apple has this thing about pairing the two up, like they're afraid minuscule software updates won't have much impact without a simultaneous hardware update.

Yes, I'm bitter about this. I've been waiting 6 months for this refresh to replace my 2009 13" with a retina MacBook, and was literally sitting in front of the screen yesterday with credit card in hand, only to be crushed by no update for the MBP.

Good God.

All those negative posts and whining about Apple that you do, yet there you were glued to the screen with credit card in hand ready to buy some more of that junk that you complain about day in day out.

Would you classify that as normal, healthy behaviour?
  • Reply 44 of 49
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Silly question, computers always need to be faster. Anytime you need to wait is a point where one could use a speed improvement. Given that though these new Airs are very impressive. Plus Apple has pulled head from ass and given us worthwhile updates if you build to order. For example you can now get an Air with a 512 GB option for $300. While the price isn't ideal it isn't the gouging we use to get from Apple. Further the CPU upgrade option offers up a solid increase in performance.

It would be nice to see these machines reviewed in their various forms or options. I'm really wondering about the impact of the CPU upgrade on battery life.

The question was in regards to battery life vs. speed.

If you have to pick an increase in one, which one makes more sense on an ultraportable? The Air is already real-world fast for web, email, etc.

• Reply 45 of 49
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Apple is really leading the way on Flash storage now.

For a long time, a good reason to buy a Mac is: you like good industrial design or you like OS X. The actual specs (CPU, RAM, storage) haven't been that much different to Windows boxes. But now we are also pulling away in the specs area: namely, our storage is actually faster than theirs.

If you buy the best PC SSD today it will go at 550MB/s, but here we have the Macbook Air SSD going at 800MB/s and the Mac Pro (unreleased) SSD going at 1250MB/s. You can get fast PCIe based flash on the PC (RevoDrive) but I have only seen those in corporate workstations not consumer-level devices like the MBA.

• Reply 46 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

You can get fast PCIe based flash on the PC (RevoDrive) but I have only seen those in corporate workstations not consumer-level devices like the MBA.

Never mind being as standard!

• Reply 47 of 49
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Performance Testing: Not All 2013 MacBook Air SSDs Are The Same

In the meantime, we have noticed a vast difference in write speeds between the two SSD offerings that we’ve received so far. The 512GB Samsung SSD found in our 13-inch model offers roughly a 400MB/s increase in write speeds over the 128GB SanDisk/Marvell SSD as our 11-inch model was configured.

• Reply 48 of 49
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    I hate to sound like I%u2019ve been under a rock for the last few months, but I just haven%u2019t had the time to catch up..

Are the NEW MAC Book Air%u2019s (with Haswell) available NOW??

Thanks much for the assist%u2026
  • Reply 49 of 49
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwinski View Post

I hate to sound like I%u2019ve been under a rock for the last few months, but I just haven%u2019t had the time to catch up..

Are the NEW MAC Book Air%u2019s (with Haswell) available NOW??

Thanks much for the assist%u2026

Yes.