iOS 7 beta: Hotspot 2.0 support will lead to hassle-free Wi-Fi access

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Never mind all that.

I'm running the iOS 7 beta now.

I can't friggin stand it. The design seems all over the place. iOS seems to have lost its *well contrasted*, punchy beauty. It looks drab and lifeless.

Maybe it'll grow on me. But my first impression..... Ive should have been kept way from software.

People screamed for change and now they have it. Have to take the good with the bad. I find some of the functionality interesting but the first impression doesn't wow me. That's what happens when artists have cart Blanche. Well now all the whiners can take it all in and be happy you don't have virtual leather stitching or fake felt anymore.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I didn't scream for any change at all. I was all for subtle refinements on top of an already successful design paradigm.

I was never part of the "iOS is stale" camp. I defended Apple's traditional approach. But that's just me, anyway.
  • Reply 23 of 36

You fanbois sure make me laugh....

Out misplaced loyalty to a company (for which you are nothing more but a filthy sac of meat with a wallet) you ignore the best internet "radio" service there is:

Google Music All Access, which combines Pandora and Spotify (and no ads to boot)

• Reply 24 of 36
    ^ I thought only children copied usernames of existing members.

What a pathetic life you must lead.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Ives started work on this entire new OS/UI 7 months ago.

Getting a reasonably complete developer beta done in that time is miraculously efficient work, even given that some features (not UI) were in development already.

Expecting the OS and the new UI to be in final, polished, bug-free, refined form this early? Absurd. These things take time. The rapid pace of development in the last 7 months will continue in the months ahead. Things will change. Don't panic for nothing yet.

That said, I like what I've seen of iOS 7 already. Change is painful always, but I think we'll be very happy once the shock of the new wears off and the tweaks are complete. (And of course, you get whiners about "too little change" as well :p )
  • Reply 26 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

^ I thought only children copied usernames of existing members.

What a pathetic life you must lead.

He didn't even do the good one where Huddler's username font lets you substitute lowercase 'L' for 'I' so you can make an account called "APPLELNSIDER" which shows up as visually identical to "AppleInsider". image

Hopefully he'll fill in the rest of the combinations of my username so no one else can be as childish as him in the future.

• Reply 27 of 36
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member
    syncing between itunes and ios7 is weird. Do not install if you have hundreds of apps. Do it as a new phone, or you will just go into endless cycles of reboots.

The folder is weird too. Two issues. 1) only 9 icons. The rest gets sent to "page 2" of the folder. 2) However, when you sync from itunes to phone, itunes can only hand 12 icons in a folder, and the extras get kicked out of the folder.

And yes, it means if you do it on the phone, you can have more than 12 icons (9 on first page, the rest on second) - and it will even sync up to itunes that way. But next sync, itunes sees 12 and kicks the rest out of the folder.

I want my 4x3 icons back, damnit (though, with page 2 for folders is good).
  • Reply 28 of 36
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

The problem with auto-joining is that a lot of heavy data usage can be limited to WiFi-only. But if the WiFi is from your cellphone provider, they might still count the data against your limit (they do with my carrier).

Does AT&T do this? If so everyone should immediately disable the "feature".

• Reply 29 of 36
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    I'm part of the skeumorphism-within-reason camp. Game-centre texture, no. Linen texture throughout the OS, for example, yes. This iOS 7 thing has no depth or texture or life to it. It's drab and sterile.

I'll stop now because I don't want to derail this thread. But this OS has no warmth to it. No charm. It has no character at all.

I guess it's like buying a house. Some people want the charm and character of an older style home, and others want a new, modern and clean design.

Can't appeal to everyone. I'm excited to try it out when it is released. The colours and icons are a little weird (esp that Safari one) but I love all the new features, so it's ok.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    For a first beta it runs super slick and fast on my iPhone 5. It was a bit jarring at first but after using it for a day I really love it. Going to see how we'll it runs on 4/4S at the weekend.

Looks MUCH better on my white 5 than on my black one though.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

This thread is a good example of why non-developers shouldn't be downloading the beta. They don't understand what beta means.

Wait until the final product before judging it.

• Reply 32 of 36
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    richl wrote: »
    This thread is a good example of why non-developers shouldn't be downloading the beta. They don't understand what beta means.

Wait until the final product before judging it.
    Because beta versions are not used for evaluating and sending feedback (usability as well as human interface/looks) to Apple?
  • Reply 33 of 36
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Never mind all that.

I'm running the iOS 7 beta now.

I can't friggin stand it. The design seems all over the place. iOS seems to have lost its *well contrasted*, punchy beauty. It looks drab and lifeless.

Maybe it'll grow on me. But my first impression..... Ive should have been kept way from software.

Wow! That surprises me, the demo's at the keynote looked great. But I'm not a developer so haven't downloaded the beta. If it is currently that bad I hope the final version of the new OS is well sorted and doesn't end up being PR disaster for Apple and Ive.

• Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Because beta versions are not used for evaluating and sending feedback (usability as well as human interface/looks) to Apple?

Feedback/bug reports are usually submitted by authorized developers that get their beta's through Apple. Non-developers who do not get their beta's from Apple and still whine about it, are what Rich is prob going on about. Beta testing is not for everyone. Beta testers (like my self on other types of software) understand it's not "get it first" mentality. It's a let's pound on it and see if we can break it, then break down what we did to break it and send it to the creator so that they can fix it. Other feedback has to be thought out, not just "it sucks". You need to have a why, when, what, etc all broken out of your issues. Most non-developers don't have that sense, and could waste time and energy on getting items ready for release, due to not detailing. Beta testing is a JOB, not a gift of "first". And if memory serves, didn't all this "it sucks" with the UI, go around when the iPhone first came out? And see how that all turned out.

Back to subject - Will this actually be able to block/manage all these devices around you don't want to use your Hotspot?
  • Reply 35 of 36

Um, I presume there's something in this implementation that prevents a tech savvy individual from setting up one of these auto-join WiFi hot spots?  If not, things could get interesting.

• Reply 36 of 36
    rduncanrduncan Posts: 1member
    HotSpot 2.0 update for Smartphones & Tablets

HotSpot 2.0 will bring huge advances in seamless and secure use of Wi-Fi from mobile devices, and device support for HotSpot 2.0 is fundamental. Fortunately, HotSpot 2.0 can be added to *existing* smartphones and tablets via software update. Apple, of particular importance, has just announced support for HotSpot 2.0 in their fall OS update, iOS 7, for nearly all iPhones (iPhone 4 and newer) and iPads (iPad 2 and newer).

Previously, Samsung has added HotSpot 2.0 support for the Galaxy S4, as HotSpot 2.0 is not yet supported by the core Android OS - the first leading smartphone to market that supports the new standards.

For further details about the status and timeline for standards-based Carrier Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Roaming, please see excerpts and updates at www.MobilityConsulting.com from our upcoming Report on "Overcoming the Obstacles to Carrier Wi-Fi."

Robert
    www.MobilityConsulting.com