Apple shifts from AFP file sharing to SMB2 in OS X 10.9 Mavericks

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Common sense math would state that if there's 6 million developers then there should at least be 6 million apps?  Right?  I mean really?  ...and for those of you who will say "oh, the Mac!"... no.  ...and no.  No again!

There's supposedly 900,000 apps on the app store.  That would mean that each developer, even those who developed more than one app has made 0.15 apps.

Honestly the competition would use and literally embarrass them with that 6Mill number, if they had enough apps to make it a big deal.  Google might.  I don't know how many developers they have.

I don't know, but every time I hear the developer count followed by the app count I see the 0.15 apps per developer number.  It's hilarious!

Im not really sure, but if I was Tim and someone told me that we have 6Mil developers, and 900k apps I might ask a few more questions before I got up on stage an just announced that.  There should have been someone there in the "senior" staff that would at least say "What?  We can't say that!"

Um, in many cases, apps are made by multiple developers. Apps by Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Instagram and many other big name apps are made by multiple people.

The lone developer making an app and making it rich is the exception, not the rule.

• Reply 42 of 45
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ulzeraj View Post

The statement that "SMB2 is superfast" is a lie. The CIFS/SMB protocol is a clusterfuck of protocol overhead. NFS and AFP have way better bandwidth because they are not as talktative as SMB. Go ahead and test it.

This is no longer true. SMB2 is a major (if not complete) redesign of the protocol. One of the many issues it addresses is SMB's chattiness.

This article gives a good overview of the changes.

• Reply 43 of 45
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    The feature required by Time Machine which isn't supported but SMB or SMB2 is called replay cache. My understanding is that it creates a number of cache slots on both the server and client. If the client sends a command with the same response that's already in the cache, the server can quickly respond "you'll find it in slot 4". Apparently Time Machine's process creates a large number of repetitive answers, so this feature was a significant optimization.

One small glimmer of hope is that SMB2 allows extensions more easily than SMB did, so I wonder how feasible it would be for Apple to create an extension for SMB2 to add support for a replay cache.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member

NTFS write support is needed and would be appreciated by a huge number of users.  NTFS 3G FUSE the open source driver used to give me periodic kernel panics with VMs open from VMware or Parallels so I jetisoned it a while back.  Built in NTFS support in VMs is getting me by for now. 

Anyway this is long overdue and very surprising it wasn't added almost a decade ago.  It makes Apple and Macs look bad, and incompatible.  Such an easy fix.  Of course Windows doesn't read/write HFS+ but that is what the world has come to expect: Macs do both file systems, Windows doesn't because Windows sucks.  I just wish OS X would natively support NTFS like it does FAT32.  

• Reply 45 of 45
    ever tried to interface smb2 with say a AppleTV ver 1 or a Win XP box or a classic 68k Mac (I run one 9A mystic ColorClassic) to run Appleshare 3.03 to be compatable with an Apple II network for sharing Prodos.) SMB2 just doesn't work right with such legacy. I learned a hack to set a 10.9 box to use std smb and all is now happy. I am now TWICE wary about yet another upgrade which will yet again throw my network into chaos.