Following Apple, Microsoft to open mini-stores in Best Buy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Following Samsung, Microsoft to open mini-stores in Best Buy.

Fixed that for ya.

• Reply 22 of 41
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

Considering that Office, XBox, Windows Phone and Windows PC area ALL already available in Best Buy, what exactly does MS think it is getting out of this deal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I would think this is more BestBuy recruiting MS rather than the other way around. BB has built too many massive stores that they can't keep operating if the online purchases and showrooming effect keeps building momentum. This could be their way of offloading costs to others.

I agree completely. With the financial trouble Best Buy has been having, this move might prevent a few locations from closing, or perhaps only delay the inevitable.

I remember wondering a few years back (maybe more like 7-10 years actually) why a Staples, Office Depot and Office Max were located  (or even needed) within walking distance of each other. Did people seriously need that many office supplies? It's the same case with Best Buy. Their stores sprang up all over the place, along with Circuit City locations, P.C. Richard locations and a few others. It's no wonder Circuit City is gone and Best Buy is trying to afloat following all that over-expansion.

• Reply 23 of 41
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoTown View Post

Guess Ron Johnson's redesign idea for JCP's floor space wasn't so bad after all. Maybe Best Buy would be wise to scoop him up...

Hmmm!  That would be very interesting...

• Reply 24 of 41
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member

Best Buy is on many people's lists as a company doomed to slide into insolvency (http://betanews.com/2013/05/06/best-buy-is-doomed/, others).  Too many people go to Best Buy to touch and feel products, then go home and order them off of Amazon or another web retailer.   I doubt that having a Microsoft mini-store is going to save them.

• Reply 25 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickf View Post

Loser copycats. Really pathetic. 

Well, what are they supposed to do? Ignore the success Apple has had with stand alone stores and the Best Buy store-within-a-store concepts? They can see plain as day how Apple was right. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that jazz.

• Reply 26 of 41

The Microsoft Store experience is so bad that the customer experience at Best Buy is actually an improvement.  I was recently given a Microsoft Surface RT with a gift receipt to the Microsoft Store.  I had no interest in using the product, and I could not in good faith give it to a friend.  I decided to take it in to the Microsoft store with hopes I could find something of interest, maybe some headphones or other accessory I could give away.  

I live in NYC and the Microsoft store is essentially a kiosk in the Columbus Circle shopping center.  When I arrived the employees looked as bored as one might expect considering their circumstances.  With 6 employees and not a customer in sight, a few were passing the time browsing IE on some plastic HP laptops which were obviously plugged in to accommodate the fleeting battery life.  I explained I wanted to return the product and asked what my options were.  After carefully calculating the narrow window of time that my return would be valid, they agreed to offer a gift card.  The employee then took out a black sharpie and wrote $543.29 across the face of the card.  At this point I still thought I might leave with something from the store, however, I was disappointed to learn that they only carry subpar PC's, MSFT tablets, and MSFT phones.  

I thought, oh well, I'm sure I can find something online...  "excuse me, may I use this card to purchase from Microsoft's online store?"  

"No sir, it's only valid at our Microsoft store locations"

I'm now invested $543.29 in Microsoft store credit hoping there will someday be something worth buying...  The card also sits on CL, best offer to date is $300.  

• Reply 27 of 41
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsharrington View Post

The Microsoft Store experience is so bad that the customer experience at Best Buy is actually an improvement.  I was recently given a Microsoft Surface RT with a gift receipt to the Microsoft Store.  I had no interest in using the product, and I could not in good faith give it to a friend.  I decided to take it in to the Microsoft store with hopes I could find something of interest, maybe some headphones or other accessory I could give away.  

I live in NYC and the Microsoft store is essentially a kiosk in the Columbus Circle shopping center.  When I arrived the employees looked as bored as one might expect considering their circumstances.  With 6 employees and not a customer in sight, a few were passing the time browsing IE on some plastic HP laptops which were obviously plugged in to accommodate the fleeting battery life.  I explained I wanted to return the product and asked what my options were.  After carefully calculating the narrow window of time that my return would be valid, they agreed to offer a gift card.  The employee then took out a black sharpie and wrote $543.29 across the face of the card.  At this point I still thought I might leave with something from the store, however, I was disappointed to learn that they only carry subpar PC's, MSFT tablets, and MSFT phones.  

I thought, oh well, I'm sure I can find something online...  "excuse me, may I use this card to purchase from Microsoft's online store?"  

"No sir, it's only valid at our Microsoft store locations"

I'm now invested $543.29 in Microsoft store credit hoping there will someday be something worth buying...  The card also sits on CL, best offer to date is $300.  

First off...the Surface is not even close to an iPad IMHO.......

But as far as your return......did you really expect cash? You did not buy it from them....you did not have a receipt.....you got store credit. Good for you....

All laptops is all stores are hooked up to power while being displayed....even the ones at the Apple stores......They are usually running some sort of promotional presentation while on display.

• Reply 28 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

First off...the Surface is not even close to an iPad IMHO.......

But as far as your return......did you really expect cash? You did not buy it from them....you did not have a receipt.....you got store credit. Good for you....

All laptops is all stores are hooked up to power while being displayed....even the ones at the Apple stores......They are usually running some sort of promotional presentation while on display.

Sorry if I was unclear.  I did not expect cash, although I did have a receipt. (and yes, the tablet was purchased from that very store just days prior)  What I expected, or hoped for, was a better store experience, with a better range of products, and the ability to make a purchase online with a Microsoft Gift card. 

I mentioned the HP laptops being plugged in because it looked tacky to see employees browsing the internet on dated pc's running an old OS. (I wasn't surprised to see this, but I would think that MSFT would at least have them using Windows 8 on better computers)

Generally, my point is that the store experience at MSFT is not a good one.  I don't think even the most hardcore MSFT fans would say it's a positive experience.  

• Reply 29 of 41
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member

The thing is that Microsoft simply doesn't understand why Apple products are so popular and why their stores are so packed.

Therefore I believe those isles will fail the same way Microsoft retail stores did.

For Microsoft to become successful, they have to realise that some of their brands, especially those starting with a "W" are considered rather toxic, that Microsoft in itself is not considered as "cool" but as "corporate" by most people and that throwing some bright coloured polo shirts at people doesn't change that, they also have to learn that most of their products are lacking, their long term support is lacking, their user experience is often a disaster and most importantly: average consumers most likely don't care at all about running Powerpoint on a tablet.

• Reply 30 of 41
    I still see more customers at the Apple mini-store in BB than in their other entire computer section. There have been zero customers at the rather stunning Samsung mini-store the last 2 times I was there. BB said they were going to go boutique sometime ago, so this is no real revelation. The sad part is that (as usual), Microsoft can't come up with an original concept to save their lives. Like so many other competitors of Apple, it's just more "we'll do what they're doing".

I think pulling out of BB would be a tremendous mistake. You don't run from the competition, you compete!
  • Reply 31 of 41
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsharrington View Post

Sorry if I was unclear.  I did not expect cash, although I did have a receipt. (and yes, the tablet was purchased from that very store just days prior)  What I expected, or hoped for, was a better store experience, with a better range of products, and the ability to make a purchase online with a Microsoft Gift card. 

I mentioned the HP laptops being plugged in because it looked tacky to see employees browsing the internet on dated pc's running an old OS. (I wasn't surprised to see this, but I would think that MSFT would at least have them using Windows 8 on better computers)

Generally, my point is that the store experience at MSFT is not a good one.  I don't think even the most hardcore MSFT fans would say it's a positive experience.  

i am with you...you did not get a very good experience at the MS kiosk.......

• Reply 32 of 41
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

I can see the customer rush now: Duhuuurr... does Windows 8 run on my Zune?

• Reply 33 of 41

So Best Buy is becoming a sea populated with islands of Apple, Microsoft, Samsung and who else?

• Reply 34 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    iaeen wrote: »
    Awesome¡

Seriously though, with all the android nerd employees steering people away from the apple section, Samsung and now Microsoft stores I am wondering when apple is going to pull out and allow best buy to slide into total irrelevancy.

Exactly!

I'm now waiting for Microsoft to decide their next desk top OS will be called 'Redmond'
  • Reply 35 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    I'm sorry, but who the **** is clamoring for this? Their stores, and recent products, have been an absolute failure.
  • Reply 36 of 41

Hell... I thought the parts of Best Buy outside of the Apple kiosk was the Microsoft store.

• Reply 37 of 41
    I'd suggest that the only way the Microsoft kiosks will get any traffic is if they're located in the restrooms. People have to go to the restroom...
  • Reply 38 of 41
    fdogfdog Posts: 8member
    There goes another row or two of movies...
  • Reply 39 of 41
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

I'm now waiting for Microsoft to decide their next desk top OS will be called 'Redmond'

With the Tagline:

"We have a problem"
  • Reply 40 of 41
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,441moderator
    I love these ads, check out 0:21 - they do the same thing in all of them. They have someone swipe the home screen, tap an icon and it cuts to something else. They must know that after they get the full Windows 8 experience where it either drops into some legacy desktop UI or some poorly written app, the potential customer then ponders 'I wonder where the iPads are in the store'. That single customer at the Windows tablet section is about right too.