Teardown of Apple's new 11" MacBook Air finds smaller SSD module, tweaked battery

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 21
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    geekdad wrote: »
    I am not disputing what you said....i agree....but I thought the reason why Apple went to the soldered components...ram and some hard drives was to save space. I guess that was what I was getting at...must not have explained it too well...
    I agree about reseating ram and PCI cards. Plus...I can't remember that time a ram moduled actually FAILED or was defective. But I thought when they came out with the rMBP line it was widely accepted that they soldered things onto the logic board to save space to make the notebook thinner....

Why do they only need one reason?

Design involves consideration of all the factors - and I'm sure they considered both space saving and reliability ( as well as cost, etc).
    ufwa wrote: »
    It'll get close. I'm sure Apple did some optimization.

Rough math only. The battery in the 2012 model is only 4680 mAh, this year is 5100 mAh. That's about an 9% increase. If we add 9% life to last years 5 hour claim it would be 5.45 hours.  If we then take Haswells claim up 50% increase in life we end up at 8.145 hours which already close to Apple's 9 hour claim.

There are probably other minor factors that contribute, as well. For example, each SSD generation uses less power than the previous one, so that may contribute a little, as well.