AT&T adds emergency alert system to iPhone 5 and 4S with software update [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Hays View Post

It is wrong and NO, you can't opt out of it. You cannot opt out of the presidents personal forced line of communication with you. You can only opt out of the AMBER and FEMA alerts.

This is the equivalent of forcing you to subscribe to instant alerts from my twitter feed. I haven't found anything regarding what the president can and cannot send to me, and truthfully, I don't want him sending me or my kids unsolicited messages.

If only we could all opt out of your messages too.

This is exactly why it's mandatory-- because of ignorant people like you who think the President will start sending you his campaign messages through it.  They're protecting you from yourself by not letting you turn it off.

• Reply 42 of 99
    I want to disable ALL of this BS. No interest in Government intrusions of any sort on my devices!
  • Reply 43 of 99
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    chazwatson wrote: »
    This is exactly why it's mandatory...

Whoa, whoa, whoa... That makes zero sense.
    They're protecting you from yourself by not letting you turn it off.

What gives someone the right to force me to listen to them?
  • Reply 44 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

"AT&T adds emergency alert system" so that Big Brother can talk us whenever it wants.

Sure this system is optional now. But since it is in our own best interest, how long before these become mandatory alerts? How long before we are require to acknowledge official alerts with a thumb print? And how the heck do we know what this or any other software update mandated by the government really contains in a closed system? Where can I get a look at the source code of this update to make sure it has nothing else in there to spy on us with the location tracking, microphones or cameras?

I fully admit that the above is paranoid thinking but if there is one thing the last couple of weeks have taught us is that we are not being paranoid enough.

You were naive about it, but there's no reason to think the NSA cares about the text messages you send to your girlfriend when your wife isn't looking.

• Reply 45 of 99
    ...no reason to think the NSA cares...

Does that it make it right for them to know what they are at all?
  • Reply 46 of 99
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    I think it's telling that the so-called "emergency" system is for the 4S & 5 only, and not for the 4 which they continue to sell under a two year contract, and for which will almost certainly get an update to iOS 7 making it a current phone for at least another model year. Guess if you want to be 'safe' you'll have to upgrade HA!

I thought they couldn't sell the 4 or 4s anymore due to a patent violation ruling handed down by the ITC. Has this been reversed?
  • Reply 47 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whoa, whoa, whoa... That makes zero sense.

Gotta complete the thought by using the rest... "because of ignorant people like you who think the President will start sending you his campaign messages through it"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What gives someone the right to force me to listen to them?

The government has the right to prevent you from harming yourself.  If that means sending someone a text message to let them know about an incoming nuclear attack then that's what they'll do.

• Reply 48 of 99
    ziadjkziadjk Posts: 55member
    briancpa wrote: »

How does AT&T know which location I'm in in order to send me a tornado warning? Is this based on the address information AT&T has on file or actual location services on my phone?

I would tend to think that the latter - using location services - would be the case, thus implying that this is a two-way communication, not just a one-way communication between the EAS and myself as others have suggested.

Nope, two-way means you can respond or at least something like third-party notification.
    It's one-way because all they would do is push the alert message to the cell towers in the area in question, and whoever connects to those cell towers (because they live there or happen to pass through) would receive it.
  • Reply 49 of 99

Quote:

Does that it make it right for them to know what they are at all?

I'm alright with the NSA possibly filtering through my communications.  Some people knew this was going on in the first place, but there wasn't proof.

What are you afraid of?

• Reply 50 of 99
    ziadjkziadjk Posts: 55member
    I want to disable ALL of this BS. No interest in Government intrusions of any sort on my devices!

They're not sending you memes or jokes of the day, they'd send you messages saying your life is in danger, for example:
    "New Orleans, Hurricane Katrina's coming. Drop everything and drive westward!"

Or
    "Terrorists just flew a couple of planes into WTC1&2. We suspect more attacks are imminent. Avoid high rises and/or leave the city for a couple of day"

Things like that ^
  • Reply 51 of 99
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    The solution to stop this is to install a custom carrier file that disables this functionality!

For example, the ones here: http://www.itweakios.com
  • Reply 52 of 99
    Gotta complete the thought by using the rest...

No, my reply took into consideration the rest. Would you like me to waste my time and quote the rest of it while typing "That makes zero sense" all over again, or did you seriously not understand that's what I meant?
    The government has the right to prevent you from harming yourself.  If that means sending someone a text message to let them know about an incoming nuclear attack then that's what they'll do.

Mmm... no, they don't get to force that upon me.
    What are you afraid of?

Thanks for the logical and ethical fallacy. I'm not "all right with it", as its legality is seriously questionable at best, as well as it being a harbinger of emotional harm.
  • Reply 53 of 99
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

You're quite lost if you consider an alert that could potentially save your life as a government intrusion.
  • Reply 54 of 99

No I am already opted out since I have a custom carrier file installed that DOES NOT HAVE THESE BIG GOVERNMENT INTRUSIONS.  Yes, itweakios has them, among others...

The LAST thing I want is some forced proclamation from Barry Soetoro on my property that martial law is declared for some farce of a reason due to some "emergency".

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziadjk View Post

They're not sending you memes or jokes of the day, they'd send you messages saying your life is in danger, for example:

"New Orleans, Hurricane Katrina's coming. Drop everything and drive westward!"

Or

"Terrorists just flew a couple of planes into WTC1&2. We suspect more attacks are imminent. Avoid high rises and/or leave the city for a couple of day"

Things like that ^

• Reply 55 of 99

Quote:

No, my reply took into consideration the rest. Would you like me to waste my time and quote the rest of it while typing "That makes zero sense" all over again, or did you seriously not understand that's what I meant?

Your original reply to me was a bit ESL, perhaps because of your shortcut, but I did my best to respond.  So, if you want to be bothered to put in the effort to form a complete reply and have a real discussion about something in particular that I said then feel free.

Quote:

Mmm... no, they don't get to force that upon me.

In the US, if someone is about to shoot themselves, the police will intervene-- they are allowed to do that.  Are you seriously arguing that they won't try to stop you?

Quote:

Thanks for the logical and ethical fallacy. I'm not "all right with it", as its legality is seriously questionable at best, as well as it being a harbinger of emotional harm.

Again, what are you afraid of?

• Reply 56 of 99

Wow really -- alerts from a bygone era!  Archaic WWII timeframe system -- today people have VAST access to news resources and other push notifications.  

Government is MUCH more the problem, than any kind of solution!  I want LESS government in my life -- this just adds MORE.  No thanks!  What is this, Communist China?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You're quite lost if you consider an alert that could potentially save your life as a government intrusion.

• Reply 57 of 99
    Again, what are you afraid of?

Large spiders, falling unabated from heights greater than 10 feet, and people like you who think logical fallacies equal actual arguments.
  • Reply 58 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

No I am already opted out since I have a custom carrier file installed that DOES NOT HAVE THESE BIG GOVERNMENT INTRUSIONS.  Yes, itweakios has them, among others...

The LAST thing I want is some forced proclamation from Barry Soetoro on my property that martial law is declared for some farce of a reason due to some "emergency".

It's quite delusional to think the carrier profile update will be used to take ones property away.

• Reply 59 of 99

Quote:

Large spiders, falling unabated from heights greater than 10 feet, and people like you who think logical fallacies equal actual arguments.

So maybe I can draw the conclusion that you're afraid to have a real discussion with me?

• Reply 60 of 99
    So maybe I can draw the conclusion that you're afraid to have a real discussion with me?

Heavens no! So when you get anywhere near a real discussion, just let me know.