Microsoft undercuts Apple in education, selling Surface RT for $199

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    realwarder wrote: »
    iOS has a massive lead in apps, but you cannot say they don't have an ecosystem when they do.  Immature, yes.  But with a massive desktop user base and growing set of tablets (I remember a 7% last quarter figure), I'm not sure I'd write them out of the history books yet.

In the education market, which is what this article is about, Apple has the resources and clear dominance though which is why they are dumping into this market.

Microsoft does not have the ecosystem Apple does. This is why everyone else fails. Plain and simple...Microsoft is relying on running desktop apps on a tablet which is not working as you can see. Unless there's this new and amazing set of apps for Windows 8 then I seriously doubt Microsoft will ever be even remotely successful in the tablet space.
  • Reply 62 of 94
    grbladegrblade Posts: 93member

Gee, what a bargain. An obsolete device for $200.

• Reply 63 of 94
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Hey now you can have a troublesome time clicking your keyboards and playing with blocks now, yay! Kidstoys for $200
  • Reply 64 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jkichline wrote: »
    Firesale anyone?

I think there will be no RT version by next year.
  • Reply 65 of 94
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Microsoft has more stomach and patience than HP with their Playbook but the end result will be the same. It won't sell well because there are few good apps for it. If all you ever hope to do on a tablet is check email, facebook, and email then this Surface is a perfectly adequate device as was the Playbook. But if you want to do any more than that get an iPad. 

• Reply 66 of 94
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    They have that much inventory sitting in warehouses? Wonder how badly they overestimated demand. Hope not too many schools get suckered into getting this right before they release a drastically upgraded model. And you know it will be drastically upgraded because the current one is selling like hotcakes. Radioactive hotcakes, that is.
  • Reply 67 of 94
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Microsoft undercuts Apple in education, selling pricing Surface RT at $199

LOL, that should have been the headline (strikethrough included)

• Reply 68 of 94
    There are 10,000 teachers going to a technology conference? Dude!
  • Reply 69 of 94

Nice!!! Now my son can will have a tablet to play Jet Pack and Tank Wars......just like I did in elementary school circa 1992. /s

• Reply 70 of 94
    Apple should give away 10001 iPads at the big educational event
  • Reply 71 of 94
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

iOS has a massive lead in apps, but you cannot say they don't have an ecosystem when they do.  Immature, yes.  But with a massive desktop user base and growing set of tablets (I remember a 7% last quarter figure), I'm not sure I'd write them out of the history books yet.

In the education market, which is what this article is about, Apple has the resources and clear dominance though which is why they are dumping into this market.

Microsoft has been very late in this game and still screw up them self with two Windows Phone false start and a third Windows environment completely incompatible with either desktop Windows and Windows Phone.   Windows RT is a farce. 

• Reply 72 of 94
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Funny story...
    I reinstalled my Office for Mac software and it told me my license had been installed too many times. So I went to the Microsoft store right by my work. It was laughable. The store was run by incompetent computer nerds. I had a product question on a video game and I couldn't get the sales rep to answer my question. I'm not sure if it was a dude or a chick (we'll just call the person Paaattt). Pat was busy playing the x-box kinect and couldn't be bothered with my question for 5 mintues. Seriously....Unbelievable. I wasn't even angry. I walked away laughing at how Microsoft can even botch copying an Apple store.
  • Reply 73 of 94

and drug dealers....

• Reply 74 of 94
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Microsoft should do a promotion and give away an item along with the Surface RT.  You know, give away something people really want to help spark demand.  Like, maybe they could away a free iPad with every purchase.  Just a thought.

• Reply 75 of 94
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    A bit off-topic but it's being reported that Android device maker Huawei is considering the purchase of Microsoft partner Nokia. If anything comes of it Microsoft's mobile plans could take a fairly heavy hit assuming Huawei isn't as enthusiatic about WinMo and they don't appear to be based on comments.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/ced47926-d80f-11e2-b4a4-00144feab7de.html#axzz2Wb2uAcgl
  • Reply 76 of 94
    Funny, lots of shit talking an not a single reason it won't work for a school. Multitasking office do some research on intune by Microsoft. I'm in my 3rd year at college and I sold my iPad for a surface because my iPad was fun but useless outside of my email and games
  • Reply 77 of 94
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

So, for $249 you will still get a device for which there is no software, and nobody is really working on any. They could as well buy a PlayBook, I am sure BB would agree to $99.

Actually there are a lot of apps for education for instance https://www.teachercollection.com/teacher-collection-applications have an amazing collection of apps for the teacher and students. In fact education apps on Windows 8 are the fastest growing on the platform. The biggest advantage is the powerful and easy custom development applications available to teachers for them to make their own educational aids. Amazon carries a huge selection of textbooks and are compatible with the RT. I fully understand this is an Apple site and some bias over none Apple products is expected but the amount of negativity is just plain annoying. A school would be well served with a Surface RT.

http://www.windows8ineducation.co.uk/

http://www.informationweek.com/education/mobility/texas-school-district-picks-dell-windows/240155158

http://www.zdnet.com/au/qld-education-department-snaps-up-14000-acer-windows-8-tablets-7000016287/

http://www.edupad.com/itooch/educational-apps-windows-8/

http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_in_education/archive/2013/05/08/windows-8-wednesday-teachers-love-windows-8-for-education.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/Press/2013/Mar13/03-27PubSecWindowsPR.aspx

• Reply 78 of 94

LMFAO no software? Last I checked office (preinstalled) is pretty important for kids in school. What cutting edge software does iPad have for my kid aside from cut the rope.

• Reply 79 of 94

I could give you a long list of my horror stories at an apple store where I asked a very simple question about pop3 on the mail client in osx and the guys head nearly exploded and he offered me a stupid round about way of saying I don't know and I don't get paid enough to find out. I ended up ordering my mac book air on amazon. P.S. Apple didn't invent retail and they have failed to please plenty of customers because they hire people who are not only incompetent, but rude. Love the hardware, the OS is passable, (still installed win 8 pro) the stores suck, and cloud service is better left to Amazon and Microsoft. There is a reason windows azure is kicking ass and taking names.

• Reply 80 of 94
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gbenitez wrote: »
    I could give you a long list of my horror stories at an apple store where I asked a very simple question about pop3 on the mail client in osx and the guys head nearly exploded and he offered me a stupid round about way of saying I don't know and I don't get paid enough to find out. I ended up ordering my mac book air on amazon. P.S. Apple didn't invent retail and they have failed to please plenty of customers because they hire people who are not only incompetent, but rude. Love the hardware, the OS is passable, (still installed win 8 pro) the stores suck, and cloud service is better left to Amazon and Microsoft. There is a reason windows azure is kicking ass and taking names.

I'm sure there are plenty of examples of bad service for any vendor you choose.

However, when you look at overall performance, Apple consistently comes up as #1 or, on rare occasions, close to #1 in customer service.