Twitter heat map shows iPhone use by the affluent, Android by the poor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Well when it come to the US, I see pretty much the same places are highlighted for both Android and iPhone, you just need to turn on one category at a time.

The point is not that Apple is better, but rather that Android adoption is clearly higher in poorer areas. That's something a lower priced iPhone, along with prepaid carrier support, has the potential to change.

Apple will be happy to sell stuff to poorer people. But low end smartphones are one of the last exclusive refuges of Android. First it was Fast App switching, then Notifications, then Maps+Navigation and 4G LTE, and now quick access to settings and proximity features. Apple keeps erasing Android's exclusives while Android does little to catch up with Apple's.

• Reply 22 of 81
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is a fairly useless article.  None of the pictures have the resolution necessary to tell us anything.  You should have focussed on one or two areas and turned the various types of phones on and off so we could see the distribution.  The red of the iPhone completely overwhelms everything else visually.  

Also, whomever had the idea to have the black background should be taken out and shot, it makes it much harder to see what's going on that a plain white background would (I suppose someone thought it looked "cool" like city lights at night or some such nonsense).  Literally the only picture where you can tell anything about non-iPhones is the one that shows Indonesia which is hardly surprising.  

The chart at the end is also not sourced, not explained and bears a striking resemblance to a chart that has been used in a few articles that shows iPhone/iPad price distribution but instead is labelled "smartphone distribution."  I don't trust it.  I don't trust the author, I don't think the data is presented even close to any way that we could make any accurate conclusions, and all it really says anyway is "rich people buy more expensive products."  

Is it too much to ask that you look for hyperlinks if you're curious about details of the map you can't be bothered to find on your own? It's the Internet. If you can't find it with the directly linked, clickable text, why can't you rush to Google for a quick search before posting your rant about how dissatisfied you are that somebody didn't chew up certain facts and spit them in your mouth, sparing you from moving your lazy jaws together? 

Seriously, everything you post is an embarrassment to your parents. 

• Reply 23 of 81
    larryalarrya Posts: 604member
    Again with "mid-end"????? How can I take the rest seriously?

Suddenly newton, you are in denial. The big screen pulled me away from iPhone, and also two guys I work with. Android is laughable, but so is a tiny screen. It's a trade-off many are making.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,402member
    Lol.

This was always fairly obvious. Now it's obvious.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    therfmantherfman Posts: 52member
    It seems a bit biased that in areas where there are lots of iPhone and Android points, the red iPhone dots block out the green Android ones. You have to click on the legend to see them individually to really see what's going on.

That bring said, this map is very cool, and could actually have good uses when figuring out user density for network designs.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Ok. How do we know where these people were when they tweeted on their mobile device?

I never tweet at home on my iPhone, and rarely at work, several miles away. In fact most of my tweets are 10+ miles away from home, if not in other cities all together.

• Reply 27 of 81
    applezilla wrote: »
    Ok. How do we know where these people were when they tweeted on their mobile device?

I never tweet at home on my iPhone, and rarely at work, several miles away. In fact most of my tweets are 10+ miles away from home, if not in other cities all together.

Well stop doing that you're ruining the map! /s
  • Reply 28 of 81
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I've been calling this for a while, you can tell the type of people who own Android phones. All the android owners at my work are the same (poor and a bit simple).
    Maybe android owners don't tweet as much as iPhone owners. Perhaps they don't want to admit that they can't spell or maybe they are far too busy coding apps or getting rid of viruses.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Forgive me for not posting earlier, but I didn't see this thread until just now.image

• Reply 30 of 81
    This shouldn't be extremely surprising. There are a disproportionate number of android phones given away for free by budget carriers running 3 yr old versions.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    From a distance all you see is the red so either a) brighter color or b) alot of the map is red compared to out her colors
  • Reply 32 of 81
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I can see this thread going downhill real fast.

/Quote

Sflocal, you are a seer. 

Exactly as forecast, straight to the toilet  from the second post.

• Reply 33 of 81
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Is this a surprise? Everyone I know who's affluent buy an iPhone (a minority still buy Blackberry) and everyone who's tight on money buy Android.

I know this.. like.. a couple of years ago.

• Reply 34 of 81
    Let them eat Android!
  • Reply 35 of 81
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Only hobo's and fools own Android. I only need to look at my friends to realise that!
    Every dumbass I know owns an Android, whereas anyone with a hint of intellect and cash in my owns iOS.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    jamjamjamjam Posts: 17member

The Map overlays are completely misleading, one colour completely masks the other.

Example for the UK, pretty much the same distribution.

J.

• Reply 37 of 81
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

These maps seem to tell you about twitter use.  I would like to see figures for twitter use across socio-economic groups.  I will bet it wouldn't be homogenous.

• Reply 38 of 81
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    So now we know that rich narcissists use iPhones and poor ones use Android. What are those without an inflated view of themselves using?

"You're so vain: U-M study links social media and narcissism"

http://ns.umich.edu/new/releases/21517-you-re-so-vain-u-m-study-links-social-media-and-narcissism

Let’s be honest here, what sort of person feels the need to use twitter if they are not in the selling business?
  • Reply 39 of 81
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    To me 'affluent' sounds like something a doctor needs to see. While I know it means wealthy, having lots of money, and the like, I wish posts of these "studies" would be titled something along the lines of 'the more knowledgable', 'better educated', 'more informed', 'High Information Smart Phone Users', etc.

I by no means am affluent, and I'm not looking for my place in "status symbol land" but I know what I like. I appreciate quality and even with my reserved economic status, am willing to scratch and save in order to pay for that.
  • Reply 40 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Is this a surprise? Everyone I know who's affluent buy an iPhone (a minority still buy Blackberry) and everyone who's tight on money buy Android.

I know this.. like.. a couple of years ago.

Highlighted in red: real high end corporate language.