Inside iOS 7: Safari gains portrait fullscreen, unified search bar, visual tabs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I feel like I'm gonna cut myself everytime I tap that safari icon. The features are just too damn sharp. I also don't see why they had to add 67,920 notches inside. It makes you want to squint to properly see them. At the end of the day, it's just not an appealing icon to look at. 

• Reply 22 of 30
    bizzarebizzare Posts: 62member
    Ugly icon
    Sorry apple
  • Reply 23 of 30
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

I believe there is a misunderstanding regarding the meaning of "fullscreen"... the way I see it, iOS 7 no longer has fullscreen support in Safari at all.  Specifically, the receding search bar remains visible when fully receded in either portrait or landscape; it does not completely disappear, and therefore does not represent a fullscreen content view.

While I appreciate the changes in Safari's UI, it is a lie to state that it has fullscreen in any respect.

• Reply 24 of 30
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Safari and its UI elements are growing on me, have to admit. The omnibar could be a little larger, though. It's a harder target than before.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

While I appreciate the changes in Safari's UI, it is a lie to state that it has fullscreen in any respect.

I agree.  Apple has taken away full screen Safari in iOS 7. The functionality is improved but there remains an almost Dock sized portion at the top of the Safari browser.  Hopefully the developers using the beta are giving some feedback to Apple to get that changed before iOS 7 is GM.

• Reply 26 of 30
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I feel like I'm gonna cut myself everytime I tap that safari icon. The features are just too damn sharp. I also don't see why they had to add 67,920 notches inside. It makes you want to squint to properly see them. At the end of the day, it's just not an appealing icon to look at. 

Agreed.  At least one iOS development book uses a compass as an example of how to create images using the basic shapes and shadings available.  That's exactly what this icon looks like: a garish graphical "hello World!" demo.  "Create a circle with a really unsubtle color gradiant.  Overlay a brightly covered diamond shape... Ta da!  You've created your first icon!  Congratuations!  In Chapter 3 we'll discuss how to make it look like it's floating with some shadow effects."

• Reply 27 of 30
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    It seems that the icons are an homage of some kind to geometry. Deliberately so.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

I think the Safari icon would be significantly better if they inverted the Blue and White elements with each other... and then linked the compass needle to the accelerometer.

• Reply 29 of 30

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

I believe there is a misunderstanding regarding the meaning of "fullscreen"... the way I see it, iOS 7 no longer has fullscreen support in Safari at all.  Specifically, the receding search bar remains visible when fully receded in either portrait or landscape; it does not completely disappear, and therefore does not represent a fullscreen content view.

This. I really liked the fact that Apple had added the true fullscreen option to landscape Safari a year or so ago.  Now it's gone.  Very irritating.  I'll say that of Apple's products in general - they can't even leave anything alone.

• Reply 30 of 30
    Now that it's released, where's the Find on Page option? I don't see it on my iPad, doesn't come up when tapping the address bar, press and hold, nowhere, doesn't give it to me. Obviously I'm missing something here...