Apple, Amazon can't settle 'Appstore' issue as August trial looms

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Pepsi makes Pepsi Cola. "Coke" is not a generic term to describe Pepsi. The generic term is cola.

You clearly haven't been to places in the South like Atlanta.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    What in heaven's name is wrong with you? There was nothing whatsoever unclear about the example I presented. Either ask for clarification, find it yourself, or just don't bother posting. :no:

He clearly didn't get the whole "DroidFTW" vs "Droid FTW" thing. Right over his head. He just fixated on genitalia.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    pendergast wrote: »
    He clearly didn't get the whole "DroidFTW" vs "Droid FTW" thing. Right over his head. He just fixated on genitalia.

Exactly. And I chose that simply to reference the small penis rule, as that's a perfect example of the kind of damage to a reputation that the App Store/Appstore fight is about.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    Exactly. And I chose that simply to reference the small penis rule, as that's a perfect example of the kind of damage to a reputation that the App Store/Appstore fight is about.

I don't know if it damages the reputation as much as dilutes the value that Apple put into the mark.

What value did "App Store" have pre-iPhone? What's the value now?

Amazon is trying to say its generic in order to get a free ride and share the wealth. Yikes, put in those terms it's likely to give Apple][ a stroke.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="Pendergast" url="/t/158159/apple-amazon-cant-settle-appstore-issue-as-august-trial-looms/40#post_2351291"]
    I don't know if it damages the reputation as much as dilutes the value that Apple put into the mark. [/QUOTE]

You're not wrong, but think of it this way:

John Q. Public gets his brand new "I-phone" (some Android crap) and goes to the Appstore to get an app. The app is a trojan that steals his personal information and e-mails all of his contacts. Or it's just a useless 1:1 Flash port that still expects a hover state. Or it's native but all it can do is crash. Now John's upset at the Appstore, and probably upset at his phone. So his contract's up or whatever and he gets an iPhone. But wait! He remembers his experience with the Appstore and is wary about getting anything from the App Store. His experience, developers' and Apple's revenues, and Apple's reputation are diminished because Apple is curating an "untrustworthy" storefront.

[B]EDIT:[/B] can't stand the BBCode editor...
  • Reply 66 of 69
    You're not wrong, but think of it this way:

John Q. Public gets his brand new "I-phone" (some Android crap) and goes to the Appstore to get an app. The app is a trojan that steals his personal information and e-mails all of his contacts. Or it's just a useless 1:1 Flash port that still expects a hover state. Or it's native but all it can do is crash. Now John's upset at the Appstore, and probably upset at his phone. So his contract's up or whatever and he gets an iPhone. But wait! He remembers his experience with the Appstore and is wary about getting anything from the App Store. His experience, developers' and Apple's revenues, and Apple's reputation are diminished because Apple is curating an "untrustworthy" storefront.

EDIT: can't stand the BBCode editor...

Fair point, if a little extreme. I thought the Amazon Appstore (I hate typing that) was curated. Still, there's the issue of quality, so a degree you're correct.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Fair point, if a little extreme. I thought the Amazon Appstore (I hate typing that) was curated. Still, there's the issue of quality, so a degree you're correct.

You're correct.  The Amazon Appstore is curated, and Amazon themselves have a great reputation for customer service.

Speaking of experience when moving between stores, I think that Amazon customers would really miss the Free App of the Day if they moved to the Apple store.

As for damage to the Apple App Store's reputation, Apple has managed that all by themselves:

For example, back when they were in a rush to pump up their app count.  For a while they allowed an unlimited number of fart and website links and other junk apps to be approved.  (Once their app count was high enough, Apple went back and removed most such apps.)

Apple's store also looked bad when they refused apps like that one from the Pulitzer Prize winning cartoonist... or conversely, approved apps like the one about shaking a baby to death.

• Reply 68 of 69
    kdarling wrote: »
    You're correct.  The Amazon Appstore is curated, and Amazon themselves have a great reputation for customer service.

Speaking of experience when moving between stores, I think that Amazon customers would really miss the Free App of the Day if they moved to the Apple store.

<span style="line-height:1.231;">As for damage to the Apple App Store's reputation, Apple has managed that all by themselves:</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">For example, back when they were in a rush to pump up their app count.  For a while they allowed an unlimited number of fart and website links and other junk apps to be approved.  </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">(Once their app count was high enough, Apple went back and removed most such apps.)</span>

Apple's store also looked bad <span style="line-height:1.231;">when they refused apps like that one from the Pulitzer Prize winning cartoonist... or conversely, approved apps like the one about shaking a baby to death.</span>

Those things that supposedly hurt their reputation only served as talking points for the anti-Apple brigade. Considering the App Store is growing by leaps and bounds, I don't think their reputation with actual customers is hurting any.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Those things that supposedly hurt their reputation only served as talking points for the anti-Apple brigade. Considering the App Store is growing by leaps and bounds, I don't think their reputation with actual customers is hurting any.

Thank you for being an intelligent reader.  That was exactly the point of bringing up those negatives.  Smart people realize that they haven't stopped users.

Likewise, negatives brought up about other stores, have not stopped their use at all, but have only been talking points for the "anti-whatever brigades".

Heck, you can't even get people riled up about the government snooping their calls.  All people seem to care about these days, is if they get their mobile entertainment for cheap.