Apple's iTunes accounts for 75% of global digital music market, worth $6.9B a year

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    So Apple could theoretically raise prices with their market position power?

Well, it would have to be negotiated with the studios. Last time it was raised was to go higher quality with DRM-free. I'm guessing any further raise would invite scrutiny.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pendergast wrote: »
    Well, it would have to be negotiated with the studios. Last time it was raised was to go higher quality with DRM-free. I'm guessing any further raise would invite scrutiny.

The "either you let us raise prices or sell your songs elsewhere" type of negotiations?
  • Reply 23 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Now I'm going to have to revise my trolling. Here I've been bugging the fandroid trolls that iTunes accounts for 2/3 of digitial sales. Now it's reported to be at 3/4. It just keeps getting better (or worse, depending which ecosystem you belong to).

All those gazillion Android users and they aren't being monetized. At all.

Right ... but I doubt most so called Android users even exist. It's hard to monetize a device sitting in the inventory of manufacturers shipping crates ... Assuming that's even true!
  • Reply 24 of 28
    The "either you let us raise prices or sell your songs elsewhere" type of negotiations?

It's possible. But that would be a complete reversal. Historically, it's been the studios who want to raise prices.

I don't know if any huge move would cause scrutiny; it would be more likely if they had 90% or more share.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pendergast wrote: »
    It's possible. But that would be a complete reversal. Historically, it's been the studios who want to raise prices.

I don't know if any huge move would cause scrutiny; it would be more likely if they had 90% or more share.

Thanks you've been very helpful. I don't believe at all that Apple would do such a thing but it's nice for someone else to agree that it is possible.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Thanks you've been very helpful. I don't believe at all that Apple would do such a thing but it's nice for someone else to agree that it is possible.

No problem.

Personally, I'd be more worried about a company like Amazon having a monopoly. With Apple, you know where they make their money. Amazon? Wall Street has been banking for years that Amazon will finally capitalize on their market share.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtymonkey View Post

Both the math and the numbers are wrong! The graph shows that music makes up less than a third of the overall iTunes revenue - apps take the most. Also 6.9 is not 60% of 9.3. Poor article all round. Looks more like Apple takes 15% - 20% of the digital music market!!

It's probably better if you actually try to read the chart correctly and not make stupid comments.

Each bar is a quarter (see bottom axis). Each quarter, iTunes seems to make about $1.6-1.7Bn on music alone, which (amazingly) adds up to $6.9Bn for 2012.

Oh, comprehension... it's not overrated...

• Reply 28 of 28
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I'm still a big fan of streaming music, my children use Pandora and I like Groove Shark. Buying music from iTunes got to be an expensive commodity with a teenager in the house. I think Apple Radio is the way of the future, especially for parents.