Sony teases new smart watch as Apple 'iWatch' speculation lingers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Oh.  Great.  Another story about smart watchezzzzzz....
    Zzzzzzzz....
    Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

Bee-bee-bee-beep! Bee-bee-bee-beep! Bee-bee-*click*
  • Reply 22 of 34
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member

I have a Pebble pre-order (though it's a white one, so at this rate it could be 3013 by the time I get it), but if Sony introduces a similarly priced or cheaper option that also supports iOS (Their current watch doesn't), I'll take a look. In fact, I look into all the smart watches I hear about. The Pebble is so far the only one that does all the things I'd want at a reasonable price

• Reply 23 of 34
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

I think this could very well be the next product category for Apple. 

• Store songs or tether to iPhone / iPod for complete collection

• Facetime tethering to iPhone

• Time, Weather, Maps, Stocks, Sports, etc. 

• Siri tethering to iPhone for commands and information lookup

• Dedicated iWatch apps. 

I think most of the iWatch would be informational or music as the size would be too small for much else. But if I could "Text Sarah I'm running late" on the iWatch vs. getting out my iPhone, or any number of "What, which, who" questions would be very functional. Of course iTunes and bluetooth headsets. 

What ideas are there for iWatch apps? 

• Reply 24 of 34
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by realpaulfreeman View Post

Doing a bit of kremlinology on features of iOS7 I can see where this is going, and there might be some very creative app possibilities with gaming and communication where smart watches could be surprisingly compelling.

I was thinking the same thing with iOS7 and how the new look and features could easily play into a smaller wearable item. 

• Reply 25 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

Still won't buy one, be it Apple or Sony. I don't wear a watch, and I can't see absolutely any reason to when I have my iPhone. Perhaps I'm not a a futurist with some grandiose vision how a smart watch is suddenly going to improve my life, I just don't see a hidden market demand for it.

I think the patents Apple has secured are protection and may be used to either secure licensing fees or make their competition's product development cycles more difficult.

• Reply 26 of 34
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think the patents Apple has secured are protection and may be used to either secure licensing fees or make their competition's product development cycles more difficult.

Thinking of any in particular?

• Reply 27 of 34
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Let me ask u all this... If u were to buy one.. Would it be apple or sony?
    I think we all know the answer to that!
  • Reply 28 of 34
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

The success of a wearable device such as an iWatch will depend on biosensors. 

• Reply 29 of 34
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Whichever one best suits my needs of course.  Doubt either of them will though.

• Reply 30 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    yojimbo007 wrote: »

It depends who 'u' is ... Any PC lover from the old days of PCs or the current Apple haters that use copied Apple stuff from Korea would buy Sony even if they knew the Apple product was ten times better. Obviously anyone wanting it to seamlessly work with their Mac, iPad, IPhone, AppleTV and iCloud would go Apple. Not buying Apple in this case has nothing to do with Sony as such, they have been a very good and innovative company in their day, but more about hating Apple for some strange psychological reason.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    As I've stated previously, we're going to get a taste of what an iWatch could be because of iOS 7.

Not one person, including OP, has mentioned the fact that iOS 7 includes many more APIs for expanded Bluetooth LE accessories. Basically, everything a developer like Sony needs to build deep integration from their SmartWatch > iOS 7.

If Sony has a clue, they are already knee deep in it. Given that this product is on the horizon, and that Apple has been preparing these APIs, I'm very surprised that we didn't see a demonstration of behind-the-scenes collaboration on this project. But, perhaps Apple was more interested in simply putting it out there and seeing what companies could do, without the special treatment and collaboration (just in case it sucks).

Apple will be interested to see what other developers can do with these APIs, and if they can make a great Bluetooth accessory. They will be waiting to swoop in with their own killer product if some idea or implementation takes off.

So far the SmartWatch is a market flop. Make a good one that actually does what people expect, and it has a chance. But, it is undoubtedly a NEW category that has sink or swim written all over it.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    pmz wrote: »
    As I've stated previously, we're going to get a taste of what an iWatch could be because of iOS 7.

Not one person, including OP, has mentioned the fact that iOS 7 includes many more APIs for expanded Bluetooth LE accessories. Basically, everything a developer like Sony needs to build deep integration from their SmartWatch > iOS 7.

If Sony has a clue, they are already knee deep in it. Given that this product is on the horizon, and that Apple has been preparing these APIs, I'm very surprised that we didn't see a demonstration of behind-the-scenes collaboration on this project. But, perhaps Apple was more interested in simply putting it out there and seeing what companies could do, without the special treatment and collaboration (just in case it sucks).

Apple will be interested to see what other developers can do with these APIs, and if they can make a great Bluetooth accessory. They will be waiting to swoop in with their own killer product if some idea or implementation takes off.

So far the SmartWatch is a market flop. Make a good one that actually does what people expect, and it has a chance. But, it is undoubtedly a NEW category that has sink or swim written all over it.

Why wouldn't Sony do this for their own phones or for Android phones?
  • Reply 33 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Doesn't the previous generation "wearable" iPod Nano get any credit?

• Reply 34 of 34
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Doesn't the previous generation "wearable" iPod Nano get any credit?

Perhaps as something that "could have been".  But...

• It couldn't interact with any other devices (except speakers).

• Third parties could not sell apps for it.