Rumor: TSMC inks deal to build 20nm 'A8' chips for Apple starting this year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    @[B]ElFig2012[/B], unfortunately, you are not alone . The problem is that Apple can't talk about its future, other than to say, "we have great things coming later this year and in 2014."

You don't believe Tim Cook? That could be a mistake. Worrying about Apple's future leads to premature dementia, as many posters here demonstrate.

For example, Apple is probably in the process of developing the production of a revolutionary display technology that will change everything once again, like with the development of the first unibody laptops, or the first phones with usable touch screens. You cannot find out much of anything about this because they are keeping it, guess what, [I]a secret[/I]!

You have to use imagination and maintain patience in the absence of real information about Apple's future. You are not alone in not having these at your disposal or even on not realizing that you don't have them. They're mental resources that have been marginalizd by the media "climate" over the last generation or so.

You guys should get together and form a support group to develop imagination and patience together. I would nominate a certain poster here from Montreal as your first leader.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="ElFig2012" url="/t/158209/rumor-tsmc-inks-deal-to-build-20nm-a8-chips-for-apple-starting-this-year#post_2351522"]And every day, with almost no exception, I see the price of AAPL stock go down...today 12 points ![/QUOTE]

Who cares?

[QUOTE]I'm seriously in doubt about the future of Apple[/QUOTE]

Why do you think the stock price has anything to do with success?
  • Reply 23 of 53
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who cares?

Why do you think the stock price has anything to do with success?

The reasons of the drop are very worrysome imo

http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst+Comments/Apple+(AAPL)+Morale+Low,+Employees+Consider+Jumping+Ship/8442748.html

And I care, I still do own Apple options leaps.

• Reply 24 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    herbapou wrote: »
    The reasons of the drop are very worrisome imo

Ludicrous nonsense. Did you read the link? ""Employees" are viewing lower stocks as a bad future." You're using people believing the same thing that you believe to justify your beliefs! :no:
  • Reply 25 of 53
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ludicrous nonsense. Did you read the link? ""Employees" are viewing lower stocks as a bad future." You're using people believing the same thing that you believe to justify your beliefs! image

It worries me because employes know whats going on to some extend inside the company. Employes moving away is never good. 

Well I still owns leaps prior to product cycles, so I am hoping Apple will be able to stop the bleeding at some point. But my hopes are pretty low. If Apple really does what the fanboys here expects, which is just an iPhone 5s, no TV, no game console, I think Apple EPS will continu to go down. 

Seriously, I don't see how people are going to upgrade to a same form factor iPhone 5s. I think the sales are going to be horrible on that device and its apple core business. You can't charge a premium and badly lag the market on innovation.

If they dont come up with a complete set of integrated hardware/solfware that integrate with the TV this year, I see no reasons for Apple to gain new customers. The only way to increase current product sales is EU,China and India and its not going to happen without a lower cost NEW phone. There is a lot of things Apple could do, problem is Apple is not doing any of them... well so far.

• Reply 26 of 53
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst+Comments/Apple+(AAPL)+Morale+Low,+Employees+Consider+Jumping+Ship/8442748.html

Garbage publication. But I have to wonder: where is the buy-back money? This could get political fast and even TC's position could be in danger if he allows the market to continue abusing the stocks.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Daekwan wrote: »
    This is the best way to fight Samsung.  Not by suing them.. but by giving them less business.

Losing the Apple Ax series of processors has to mean billions of revenue gone from Samsung's bottom line.

Furthermore, recruiting new customers may not be possible for Samsung as any objective person must conclude that Samsung may not have acted ethically in business dealings with Apple. Additionally, Apple and Samsung have a virtual stranglehold on consumer electronics at the moment so there just aren't many customers with the scale of business Apple requires (for processors). Most of the components of Apple products are already assembled by TSMC including Broadcom and Qualcomm which are arguably the most significant components aside from the processors.

Notably, very few components of the Apple iPhone 5 are manufactured by Samsung.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

The Street Insider has a long history of spewing negative nonsense about Apple, none of which ever turns out to be true.  It's "pump and dump" for short sellers.

If you believe in Apple, then hold the stock over 5 or 10 years.  Anything less than that and you're subjecting yourself to the randomness of the market and macroeconomic forces. 

If you don't believe in Apple to hold a stock like that, then don't bother with the stock at all.  Just go find something you do believe in.

And when I say "believe in" I mean, have you read the annual report? Have you studied the companie's history?  Have you worked out the net present value of future growth in the stock as compared to a risk free alternative? 

The stock market isn't for gambling, it's for people who will take at least those basic steps.

• Reply 29 of 53
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

Apple is designing their own chips.  People on this thread don't seem to realize that.  They designed their own core, from scratch.  They have a master ARM license which means they can do whatever they want with the ARM architecture.  Apple designed this core and they designed an SOC with off the shelf components around it and Samsung manufactures it.

There is little risk of Samsung making this core and selling it to others because it would be easy for Apple to find out and samsung would lose that court case really quick-- and billions of dollars.  It would be open and shut. 

Just because you have a copy of Microsoft's compiled source code when you install windows, doesn't mean you can go into the competing-with-microsoft business. 

Thus I think intel and Samsung are fairly different.  Intel doesn't make phones and isn't likely to do so. 

Apple has the expertise to design chips and they spent much of the last decade building that up. 

Making a foundry requires a different set of expertise-- process expertise.  That's more expensive to build up, and less needed, because there are off the shelf foundries youcan use-- namely TSMC. 

Many companies, including AMD, don't have their own foundries... it's generally more efficient to outsource manufacturing (just as it is for assmbly of the iPhone, etc, which Apple gives to foxxconn.) 

• Reply 30 of 53
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Furthermore, recruiting new customers may not be possible for Samsung as any objective person must conclude that Samsung may not have acted ethically in business dealings with Apple. Additionally, Apple and Samsung have a virtual stranglehold on consumer electronics at the moment so there just aren't many customers with the scale of business Apple requires (for processors). Most of the components of Apple products are already assembled by TSMC including Broadcom and Qualcomm which are arguably the most significant components aside from the processors.

Notably, very few components of the Apple iPhone 5 are manufactured by Samsung.

I'd like to see links to articles and data 'proving' this to be true.

• Reply 31 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElFig2012 View Post

Every day since 2 weeks now I read every time good news about Apple on this website.

And every day, with almost no exception, I see the price of AAPL stock go down...today 12 points !

I'm seriously in doubt about the future of Apple, looking at their WWDC conference I'm no longer confident that they have the "touch" that Steve had in his time.

I wonder if you guys feel the same way,,,,

I understand the concern, however, Apple entered the mobile market at the right time and place. Every year the expanded and wowed and the stock market responded accordingly.  The market is now a rats nest of competitors and products. Just the fact that Apple still makes quality equipment with a very loyal base is impressive.  There is only so much growth left out there. This is a marathon, not a sprint and Apple is well positioned to maintain a healthy pace as others sprint ahead and fall behind. 

• Reply 32 of 53
    Dup
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Dup
  • Reply 34 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Apple should NOT go with Intel as they will have the same issue as they have with Samsung. You don't want Intel to have your latest designs that they can then easily put into their own mobile chips. 

Why not?

The Macbook Air collaboration payed great dividends for Apple. That exclusivity on Ultrabooks chipsets meant interest had waned far too much by the time the Windblow ultrabooks appeared.

A move to x86 for the iPad was entirely logical and could yet still happen.

• Reply 35 of 53
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Three years later, DigiTimes still insists Apple will ditch Samsung for TSMC

http://************/2013/06/24/three-years-later-digitimes-still-insists-apple-will-ditch-samsung-for-tsmc/

EDIT: Seems the local cheiftans don't lilke competition - the system here replaced the domain in the link above with asterrisks.  The domain is 9 to 5 mac (dot) com.

• Reply 36 of 53
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

Why not?

The Macbook Air collaboration payed great dividends for Apple. That exclusivity on Ultrabooks chipsets meant interest had waned far too much by the time the Windblow ultrabooks appeared.

A move to x86 for the iPad was entirely logical and could yet still happen.

Because Intel would then have early access to Apple tech and could then use it in their chips that get sold to competitors. 

iOS on x86 is a horrible idea. 

• Reply 37 of 53
    elfig2012 wrote: »
    Every day since 2 weeks now I read every time good news about Apple on this website.
    And every day, with almost no exception, I see the price of AAPL stock go down...today 12 points !

I'm seriously in doubt about the future of Apple, looking at their WWDC conference I'm no longer confident that they have the "touch" that Steve had in his time.

No. I worry about much more important economic and social issues than how Apple is supposedly failing without Steve.
    You might want to seek help for your "concern for Apple's future" addiction. It's not healthy.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That then implies that the A7 is an A6 with a tweaked clock speed. It is hard to envisage any development taking place in parallel.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The thing is this, to choose a future semiconductor partner you have too gain experience with their tools and likely even build some prototypes. Apple is in a different position here than most companies, they really can't afford to not investigate every possible supplier. Even if they are looking at other suppliers they would not stop development work based on the technology of other suppliers. The risk of getting caught with ones pants down is too great.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    elfig2012 wrote: »
    In the end the stock market has little to do with Apples feasibility as a company. Apples high profile make it an excellent platform for market manipulation. You can see this almost daily with baseless speculation, general bad mouthing and so forth on various financial forums.
    If that is what you came away with you haven't really looked at what happened at WWDC. WWDC is all about developers and in that respect they got introduced to massive refactoring a of both Mac OS and iOS. No major revision to an OS is perfect for everybody but in regards to WWDC few developers are complaining and many are extremely happy. Many long standing issues are being addressed while at the same time strong revisions to the OS's are taking place.

Not a chance! A rational mind would see this WWDC as one of the best in a very long time. Lots of new technologies introduced which vastly improve both OS platforms. WWDC was exactly what it was meant to be.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    You have to accept that the high prices of previous years where the result of speculation not intrinsic value. Apple is at a good rational price right now.

I clipped that link to avoid posting complete crap. This is a hack job aimed at further stock price manipulation that we have seen over the last couple of years. Responsible reporting does not rely upon third and fourth party rumors.

In fact I'd go so far as to say if you have employees that are worried about stock price you have the wrong employees in the first place. It is far better for such employees to leave the company than to behave in a way that isn't in the best interest of the company.