iOS 7 beta: Apple's 'Voice Memos' app returns in latest build

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Waiting for turtleneck and beret-wearing graphic design snobs to denounce the new Voice Memo icon as "wrong."

Can't say much about the icon, but yeah there is a lot to be desired here, and you don't have to be a 'design snob' to see it.  Actually, you only need to want to be able to READ more than half of the text presented in the the visual field.

I wish folks would stop being knee-jerk apologists long enough to examine the grey on grey text this UI design and ask themselves "is that really functionally useful?"  Anyone that can answer "yes" to that question either has the eyesight of a hawk or they are deceiving themselves.

Anybody who actually values and cares about Apple's contributions and products has a right to be concerned, in my opinion, based on these designs.

• Reply 22 of 33
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

Here's hoping they 'explain' why they think it isn't important for text to be legible.

• Reply 23 of 33
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm finding this all kind of amusing actually because when we first heard that Ive was going to design the UI, people with design chops said "he knows nothing about UI design and his graphic and industrial design skills won't translate."  These people were shouted down.  

Now we see the design and it basically fails in every way that graphic and industrial design differs as a discipline from UI and interactivity design.  It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect as the result of turning over UI design to someone who really only knows graphics and materials design.  Precisely what people were arguing when he was given the job.

heck, they tried to over simplify even their own hardware.  Remember the 3rd Gen iPod Shuffle?  They took away all but one physical control and people hated it.  Now they want to take away all the buttons from iOS.  Well, time will tell.  Personally, I think all these transluscent screens are a bit too Windows Vista for me but what do I know?  Gruber et. all seem to think this is the new 'timeless' design of iOS that will take it another 5+ years, but I think it's going to feel dated long before that.

• Reply 24 of 33
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    The choices of and general quality of the screenshots is pretty bad. They seem cropped to different sizes, and don't make immediate sense. When using the app it's very clear. Can you take screenshots that show the 'workflow' instead of randomizing it at different sizes/crops?

The way it's presented here, it's a bit of a train wreck... how about some explanations of what's going on in each screen, for the uninitiated? For example, the first screen has 'stacked' app/UI elements (light grey background, Airdrop text, Message & Mail icons, a cancel button)… why are those there and not in the following screens? Is that three-shade (black-medium grey- light grey) screen the default when the app launches?
  • Reply 25 of 33
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I've used it. Works fine, no complaints.

Been using the Beta since release, with the exception of a rollback to iOS 6 that lasted a day. I continue to enjoy most of the changes
    I'm seeing in iOS 7.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Ok, here's my problem with the voice memo app. Driving along in the car. Want to use Siri, or just tap the voice memo button. NAAAAAH. I have to put in my security password thats required by my work, that I have at the maximum time of 30 mins. Remembering the voice memo on my old BB, just hit the button and it bypassed the password lock.

Voice memos are a really great way to make reminders when driving. Clicking the button on the screen, putting in your password, is just as dangerous as texting when driving. I may need to get a little digital voice recorder and keep it in the car, or else I am beating a dead horse here.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    rkevwill wrote: »
    Ok, here's my problem with the voice memo app. Driving along in the car. Want to use Siri, or just tap the voice memo button. NAAAAAH. I have to put in my security password thats required by my work, that I have at the maximum time of 30 mins. Remembering the voice memo on my old BB, just hit the button and it bypassed the password lock.

Voice memos are a really great way to make reminders when driving. Clicking the button on the screen, putting in your password, is just as dangerous as texting when driving. I may need to get a little digital voice recorder and keep it in the car, or else I am beating a dead horse here.
    yeah the voice memos might need it in the new center,
    Maybe Siri can help?
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Installing this beta soon on my 4S. It expires on August 8 if anyone was wondering.
  • Reply 29 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

heck, they tried to over simplify even their own hardware.  Remember the 3rd Gen iPod Shuffle?  They took away all but one physical control and people hated it.  Now they want to take away all the buttons from iOS.  Well, time will tell.  Personally, I think all these transluscent screens are a bit too Windows Vista for me but what do I know?  Gruber et. all seem to think this is the new 'timeless' design of iOS that will take it another 5+ years, but I think it's going to feel dated long before that.

Windows Vista didn't have transparent windows. They were black... Windows 7 did... and Windows 8 doesn't.

I feel iOS 7 is a very simplistic and a safe approach to design. It's too clean which makes it look like lazy work to me. The other icons look so well made but at the same time a little old because I've seen them for so long. Maybe if they had kept a bit of depth to the new OS with drop shadowing or glowing UI's it would look better but the flatness and removal of almost everything iOS 6 looks like is too much. It looks like a makeup artist was hired to do some of the icon designs and some of their inconsistency with other icons make them unappealing like the Safari icon and the Reminders icon.

But I love the new transparency in some portions of the UI and think they should have left the message bubbles the way they used to be before or just whitened them a bit instead of making them flat. Siri should have stayed the way it was... I have no idea why they think it should feel like the messages UI. It's not better like that.

• Reply 30 of 33
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

Windows Vista didn't have transparent windows. They were black... Windows 7 did... and Windows 8 doesn't.

I feel iOS 7 is a very simplistic and a safe approach to design. It's too clean which makes it look like lazy work to me. The other icons look so well made but at the same time a little old because I've seen them for so long. Maybe if they had kept a bit of depth to the new OS with drop shadowing or glowing UI's it would look better but the flatness and removal of almost everything iOS 6 looks like is too much. It looks like a makeup artist was hired to do some of the icon designs and some of their inconsistency with other icons make them unappealing like the Safari icon and the Reminders icon.

But I love the new transparency in some portions of the UI and think they should have left the message bubbles the way they used to be before or just whitened them a bit instead of making them flat. Siri should have stayed the way it was... I have no idea why they think it should feel like the messages UI. It's not better like that.

This is the criticism I agree with the most. Are you a designer by any chance?

The direction is OK but it need a lot of fine tunings, and a lot less ego. As for SIRI, yes, it shouldn't be just flat. She/He should have a personality. It's not a matter on mere design but also a question of how to give her a personality.

Btw, Vista has transparent. I know because it made my old notebook useless.

• Reply 31 of 33
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    yeah the voice memos might need it in the new center,
    Maybe Siri can help?

Siri does not appear to have the capability to record Voice Memos at the moment.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Voice Memos

What does the key to the left of the spacebar do?

• Reply 33 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    v5v wrote: »
    What does the key to the left of the spacebar do?

Records instead of typing. Added in iOS 6.