Apple seeds second OS X Mavericks Developer Preview [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    What about Apple would give you the idea that this would ever happen? Do you know Apple?
    You've seen the comments when regular idiots get their hands on the DPs, right? You've seen the "complaints", right?
    The level of ignorance out there is just amazing. People have no idea what a beta is or why Apple even asks developers to test their apps with the beta software.
    People today are too stupid to comprehend what they're doing even with RELEASE SOFTWARE. All I've seen is ruination of third-party developers' reputations by morons who don't know what iOS 7 and 10.9 are; imagine how that would change if it was PUBLIC!
    The up unfortunate side effect of the Internet is that it gives a voice to anybody that can type. Worst yet these people supply the fuel to feed the minds of those ill equipped for rigorous thought. Apple looses in these two ways with more public betas.
    OS X worked as a public beta for many reasons, not the least of which Apple's situation at that time and their userbase being, what, I think it was more than 5x smaller than today.

If people really want to run these betas, something I don't recommend at all, they can sign up to become a developer. If you aren't up to that little adventure then maybe you shouldn't be whining about public betas. As an aside I've spent some time trying to development work against Apples betas, for me it wasn't worth the effort! If it isn't a shipping product I don't bother with it.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    superbass wrote: »
    Still no name change? Mavericks is just plain awful, unless they're releasing a sports team or using Tom Selleck's head as the new logo for Safari.

Get with the program, naming an OS after great surfing locations is far more interesting than naming the OS after big pussies. You might just want to spend a few minutes on the net becoming familiar with the location and why it is called Mavricks and more so why it has a reputation with surfers.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    aaronj wrote: »
    Honestly, the people who have a problem with the name need to begin associating images like this to "Mavericks":

These are likely the same idiots that spoke out about the name iPad. It takes all of ten seconds these days to become familiar with Mavericks and the big waves there.

This might go over the heads of some but associating a major OS release with big waves is an interesting marketing strategy. Will Mavericks make big waves for Apple? From what I'm seeing it is a good association.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

These are likely the same idiots that spoke out about the name iPad. It takes all of ten seconds these days to become familiar with Mavericks and the big waves there.

This might go over the heads of some but associating a major OS release with big waves is an interesting marketing strategy. Will Mavericks make big waves for Apple? From what I'm seeing it is a good association.

I couldn't agree more.  And I had the same exact thought about the iPad, too.

• Reply 25 of 64
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Sounds nice.

What ? Audio drivers have been improved that much?? image

• Reply 26 of 64
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member

mavericks is looking very stable.  Plop the 802.11ac performance fix in and lets go!  I feel like killing virtual cows :)

• Reply 27 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Honestly, the people who have a problem with the name need to begin associating images like this to "Mavericks":

This is what's wrong with the name though.  The blanket assumption that this is a "good" image that everyone will "naturally" like.  I don't give a shite about California, surfing, or anything close to either.  

The only thing worse would be to name the OS's after American football leagues or put a giant f*cking American flag on the box with crossed six-guns or something.  

What it comes down to is really this:  

In almost every culture on earth, it's considered offensive to crow about yourself.  To say "Look at me, I'm the best!"  

Only in the USA is this considered a decent or good thing.  

That's why Mavericks is a bad name.  Because all it is to everyone else is that oh, so familiar American conceit rising to the surface.  In this case it's being thrown in our faces and will continue to be so for TEN YEARS.  We will now have to suffer each release of OS X, because each release will have some moniker that promotes the USA as the "greatest place on earth," "conquerer of the world" etc.  

If it were still the 1950's and thus true that "America leads the world" that would be one thing.  But it isn't.  

This is just the faded, collapsing empire trying to pretend that they are better than everyone else when they are not. 

• Reply 28 of 64
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is what's wrong with the name though.  The blanket assumption that this is a "good" image that everyone will "naturally" like.  I don't give a shite about California, surfing, or anything close to either.  

The only thing worse would be to name the OS's after American football leagues or put a giant f*cking American flag on the box with crossed six-guns or something.  

In almost every culture on earth, it's considered offensive to crow about yourself.  To say "Look at me, I'm the best!"  

That's why Mavericks is a bad name.  Because all it is to everyone else is that oh, so familiar American conceit rising to the surface.  In this case it's being thrown in our faces and will continue to be so for TEN YEARS.  We will now have to suffer each release of OS X, because each release will have some moniker that promotes the USA as the "greatest place on earth," "conquerer of the world" etc.  

If it were still the 1950's and thus true that "America leads the world" that would be one thing.  But it isn't.  

This is just the faded, collapsing empire trying to pretend that they are better than everyone else when they are not. 

If you hate America and Americans soooo much why buy Apple? "Designed by Apple in California"

That must really bother you..... I am sure to stick to your principals you are going to just not buy American then........ So much hate and resentment for a country and people....why would you buy products from them?

http://www.apple.com/designed-by-apple/

• Reply 29 of 64
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member

Quote:

A famous surfing location reference and you give us reference to a faded collapsing empire.  You are a loon.

• Reply 30 of 64
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

mavericks is looking very stable.  Plop the 802.11ac performance fix in and lets go!  I feel like killing virtual cows :)

I don't think its quite that ready as of yet. I still see bugs here and there that need to be fixed before it becomes GM status. 

• Reply 31 of 64
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

Sounds like OSX Mavericks is shaping up to be a better release then iOS 7.

Yeah I don't think so....

• Reply 32 of 64
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Alas,the product wasn't named for you... not for Americans,

It's named for the Apple employees.   This is about them making stuff _THEY_ like and THEY want to make for us.

(If I remember the keynote right, it won't be 'USA' places... it will be CALIFORNIA places)

Hence the "Designed by Apple in California' Ad.

(one could argue that Apple is trying to avoid the USA relationship, because everyone loves California;-)

Yes, it may be conceitful to consider the chosen few of Apple Employees when selecting a product name, but on the other hand, your view is antagonistic, to the point of trollworthy.

It's just a name.   I don't think they will even market it as such to the public, other than the 'Wave' Logo.  It's just the latest version of OSX... and unlike Microsoft, they don't have to market it, as they don't make money on the OS... just the hardware that it drives.   So, they don't give a F*ck on it's marketablilty (Vista?  LongHorn?  Metro?), because, no ad campaign will need to feature it... they don't need the lemmings to go out and buy box of Vista to make their quarterly earnings... they need people to embrace the apple ecosystem, buy the Point of Sale devices to the App/Music/Book/Movie/radio stores, and then the WiFi/backup server, then a TV attachment, then a stereo attachment (airport express), then iTunes Match....   None of that requires speaking of "the Mac OS that shall go nameless" ;-)

A rose by any other name.

• Reply 33 of 64
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    gazoobee wrote: »

Someone needs a hug.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Quote:

I have to strongly disagree.  To think that Apple is praising themselves here seems particularly twisted to me.  There is a difference between pride and conceit, and I believe an homage to special nearby locales is a matter of the former.

Apple is not saying that this place Mavericks is the best place ever; they're saying that this place Mavericks is inspiring, it's a natural wonder that any human can appreciate.  If you can't look at waves like that and be awed, you've got bigger problems than "suffering each release of OS X."

edit: small typo

• Reply 35 of 64
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

I also didn't know what Mavericks was when I first heard it (I knew little-m maverick meaning "an unconventional person," but not big-M Mavericks).

I think you're reading too much in to it. The people who make a thing should be able to name it, and if they name it after something/someplace meaningful to them or near to them it shouldn't be surprising at all.

Edit: and the USA is still #1 by the way: http://www.tradingeconomics.com

• Reply 36 of 64
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

...each release will have some moniker that promotes the USA as the "greatest place on earth," "conquerer of the world" etc.  

This is all in your mind. Mavericks is just a name, the image is probably meant to convey freedom and speed, and there is absolutely nothing even vaguely approaching "conquerer of the world".

Honestly, some anti-US hysteria has risen to be the international equivalent of Obama Derangement Syndrome. It's so overblown and detached from reality it has become a bad joke.

• Reply 37 of 64
    Dude. Mavericks is a hallowed California surfing spot. In legend, a giant wave surfing spot kept a secret for years by a guy and his dog Maverick. It perfectly matches Apple's orientation to make great things in secrecy. It is awesome. In other words, the name Mavericks will not change.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="Gazoobee" url="/t/158224/apple-seeds-second-os-x-mavericks-developer-preview-u#post_2352132"]
    [B]American conceit[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't see you whining about cats.

Keep your crap in PO. At least there you'll be peeing in an ocean of it rather than on our carpets.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Or most people, not knowing what Mavericks is supposed to be, won't associate it with the American "Empire" or anything else. They'll probably call it ten nine, or ten point nine.

• Reply 40 of 64

Sorry but you must be using a different beta.

The one from last night is a mess.