Japanese high court upholds dismissal of Apple suit against Samsung

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A Japanese high court on Tuesday upheld a decision to dismiss a patent suit leveled by Apple against Samsung, rejecting the Cupertino company's appeal of the ruling lodged some eight months ago.

Japan IP Court
Japan's Intellectual Property High Court in Tokyo. | Source: Atom Tokyo

Japan's Intellectual Property High Court agreed with an August 2012 ruling handed down by the Tokyo District Court, which found no merit in Apple's assertion that Samsung infringed on certain patents relating to media synchronization on mobile devices, reports Bloomberg.

As noted by FOSS Patents' Florian Mueller, the dismissal of a patent infringement lawsuit usually results in no clear winners. Unless the case is of extreme strategic value, "a large corporation just spent a few million dollars on something that didn't work out." While a court win would have been helpful for Apple, a dismissal isn't a clear "loss" as the decision does not affect either company in any substantial way.

At issue was Apple's Patent No. 4,204,977 for synchronizing music and video data in devices to external servers, a property the company was leveraging against multiple Samsung devices, including the Galaxy Tab. In the original ruling, which was appealed by Apple in October, Judge Tamotsu Shoji said, "It?s hard to believe the products belong to the range of technologies of the claimant," and ordered Apple to pay the costs of the lawsuit.

Japan has been a hotbed for Apple and Samsung's ongoing worldwide patent struggle, and was one of the first jurisdictions to take on one of the companies' numerous cases in 2011. Since then, Samsung has seen little success in the country, most recently being saddled with a finding of infringement on Apple's "rubber-banding" patent last week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    The courts appear to be of no use at all. Even when Apple wins, they don't really get anything from it. But what can they do? Just let everyone steal from them?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

This is no surprise. Japanese mentality is similar to other in Far East. Japanese economy grew on copying.

• Reply 3 of 7
    japmjapm Posts: 36member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

This is no surprise. Japanese mentality is similar to other in Far East. Japanese economy grew on copying.

WHAT?

For decades now Japan is at the forefront of technology and innovation. CPUs, GPUs, Displays, Fiber-optics...

You should try to find out the differences between Japan and China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan#Science_and_technology

Japan is a leading nation in scientific research, particularly technology, machinery and biomedical research.

Nearly 700,000 researchers share a US$130 billion research and development budget, the third largest in the world.

Japan is a world leader in fundamental scientific research, having produced sixteen Nobel laureates in either physics, chemistry or medicine, three Fields medalists, and one Gauss Prize laureate.

• Reply 4 of 7
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by japm View Post

WHAT?

For decades now Japan is at the forefront of technology and innovation. CPUs, GPUs, Displays, Fiber-optics...

You should try to find out the differences between Japan and China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan#Science_and_technology

Japan is a leading nation in scientific research, particularly technology, machinery and biomedical research.

Nearly 700,000 researchers share a US$130 billion research and development budget, the third largest in the world.

Japan is a world leader in fundamental scientific research, having produced sixteen Nobel laureates in either physics, chemistry or medicine, three Fields medalists, and one Gauss Prize laureate.

You failed to understand my post deliberately or not: Japan has returned as economy power through more or less copying western products, which was allowed and welcomed at a time the country was in ruins. Throughout the process Japan has developed vast research and development of technologies: Technology and the products are not one and the same. I'm sure there are many original products from Japan, but there are not so many compared to economy size and especially the size of technology sector. 

I may know something about Japan as well, working 4 years with Matsushita. 

• Reply 5 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Look at my paint brush! It's a mile wide! I can paint entire cultures with this thing!

• Reply 6 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Look at my paint brush! It's a mile wide! I can paint entire cultures with this thing!

We shouldn't be too hard on poksi. My guess is that he is Eastern European and therefore probably wasted out of his skull on low grade vodka. image

These mile wide brushes really are great, aren't they!

• Reply 7 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    japm wrote: »

Absolutely 100% true. But that's not what he said. GREW on copying, which is true post-WWII.