bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Better than before but still not good enough
    Apple needs to do more
  • Reply 22 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bushman4 wrote: »
    Apple needs to do more

New, the iPhone 5S! Complete with built in taser to discharge the entire battery in the span of a few seconds! Also with AirTase technology because people are too stupid to be trusted to get their taser out in time, so it automatically tases anyone in the general vicinity.
  • Reply 23 of 41

Suggestions that requiring a password to power of would be a no-brainer, are spot-on, because a thief wouldn't just let the battery die.

• Reply 24 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Apple needs to do more

Do tell!

• Reply 25 of 41
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    kkqd1337 wrote: »
    and what's this 'Activation Lock' all about?

New feature of iOS 7 and FMiP where if the phone is erased, either remotely or via a restore to bypass a passcode lock, it won't activate on the iTunes sever unless the person holding it can enter the apple Id and password of the iCloud account that the device is tied to.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Also, in the UK when a phone is lost this is what most/all people do:

1/ Immediately inform network who will block sim to prevent unauthorised use
    2/ Immediately inform insurance company of loss
    3/ Instigate a remote wipe if possibile to protect data

Does this feature mitigate the need for any of these steps?

Nope. This just adds that the iPhone will be unusable even if the person takes it another country
  • Reply 27 of 41
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    How about requiring a password to power-off a locked iPhone? That a no-brainer.

A truly determined thief would pop it in a signal blocking box until the battery dies or open it and pop the battery connector, shutting it off right away.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member

Restrictions already allowed you to do this in iOS 6. 

Pity Apples suggestion to have the SIM done away with and make it all SW based didnt fly. This would have done away with the issue of sim being removed once stolen.

• Reply 29 of 41
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

I've sent apple numerous requests to add a feature that requires a password to be entered to power off the device.

Having the GPS work with or without sim would be awesome as well.

A password to power off the device is a bad idea.  Aside from the sheer inconvenience there are many situations where powering the device down is the only remedy and it's something that people who don't own the device would need to do to it a lot.  For instance you couldn't get the device repaired without giving someone your password or the device could be dangerously overheating and need to be shut down immediately.  

Having the GPS work all the time regardless of the OS state would be a great solution but it can't be implemented because of human nature.  There would inevitably be a huge outcry over "tracking," and the drain on the battery.  At least a half dozen conspiracy theories would arise on how Obama was somehow at fault as well.   

• Reply 30 of 41
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member

To those suggesting adding a passcode to turn off the device (since multiquote doesn't seem to work):

This could be difficult to implement in a way that didn't diminish the user experience. The buttons used to accomplish this are hardware buttons that function whether the device has become unresponsive, or not. Many times, the only reason someone may wish to shut the phone down is because it's become unresponsive (rare, but it happens). Requiring a passcode to power down the device would essentially brick the device until they could connect it to their computer or run the battery dead.

I think Apple's going in the right direction by ensuring the device can't be activated without entering the appleid/password of the owner

• Reply 31 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    and what's this 'Activation Lock' all about?

That's to stop people wiping your iPhone and setting it up as a new phone. When they attempt to do that they'll be asked for your Apple ID password to reactive the device.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Apple needs to do more

Right.  image

Maybe they need to apply magic, or some godlike powers they have?  They started off by doing more than anyone in the industry had ever done before, then they have steadily plugged security holes and come up with ideas to improve it that no one had ever thought of and no one was even asking for.  

Of course they have to do more (unspecified) things ... you know, ... in some (unspecified) way.  image image  /s

Because they are clearly shirking off, and not being very good about this "robbery protection thing" that they f*cking practically invented singlehandedly. 

• Reply 33 of 41
    There is also a new beta of the Find my iPhone App itself. This beta can only be installed via xCode. It no doubt implements some of the features mentioned in the keynote that compliment this password requirement in settings. One feature noted was that if Location Services was turned off on the device, it would be activated if the device was put into lost mode and Location Services would turn off again one the device was recovered and correct iCloud password entered. Anyway, once you all get this info via your developer account you'll be ready to discuss it (or not due to the NDA.)
  • Reply 34 of 41
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    charlituna wrote: »
    A truly determined thief would pop it in a signal blocking box until the battery dies or open it and pop the battery connector, shutting it off right away.

Agreed but 99.999% of thieves wouldn't even know what a signal blocking box is.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    I could be wrong, but I believe during the keynote it was mentioned that this passcode would be required even after wiping the device. 
    Good to hear that (thanks to others who remembered that part of the Keynote).

It's good to know; a couple of months ago I woke up to hear a smash downstairs and when I went down to take a look a masked man was in my lounge. He threatened me, I did what he said, he stole my IPhone, iPad and my housemate's MacBook Air. My housemate had called the police when he heard the smash, unbeknown to me, and I could hear sirens almost immediately. The police ran into the house a few minutes after he'd left, and they asked me what he'd taken. As soon as I told them one of the policemen asked if I had Find My iPhone enabled on the iPhone. I said yes and he pulled out his owniPhone and asked me to log in to the app. They tracked the guy over to Old Trafford (just outside Manchester where I live) and radioed a helicopter. The policeman in my lounge was describing to the helicopter over the radio the location of the phone. Unfortunately he seemed to stop moving before the helicopter got close enough, he must have realised what was happening and threw my iPhone into someone's back garden. He got away. I got my iPhone back though, completely undamaged (I'm typing on it now). Got a brand new iPad and my housemate got a brand new MacBook Air through insurance. But if that wanker got home to find he couldn't sell any of my stuff then that would make me feel a whole lot better!
  • Reply 36 of 41
    it badly needs the option to require a password to power down, even if it just buys you an extra half and hour to track and put into lost mode
  • Reply 37 of 41

yes but they would probably have to take it home to do this, and if they can't turn it off they are tracked all the way home

• Reply 38 of 41
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Does the phone need to be on and connected to the network in order for me to activate Activation Lock? Or can I do it even if the SIM has been removed, the signal is blocked, or the device is powered off?
  • Reply 39 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

To those suggesting adding a passcode to turn off the device (since multiquote doesn't seem to work):

This could be difficult to implement in a way that didn't diminish the user experience. The buttons used to accomplish this are hardware buttons that function whether the device has become unresponsive, or not. Many times, the only reason someone may wish to shut the phone down is because it's become unresponsive (rare, but it happens). Requiring a passcode to power down the device would essentially brick the device until they could connect it to their computer or run the battery dead.

I think Apple's going in the right direction by ensuring the device can't be activated without entering the appleid/password of the owner

but if the hard wear buttons triggered a restart instead of a shut down, then that would solve the issue, you can recover from a unresponsive phone but a thief would be unable to power down

• Reply 40 of 41
    zorinlynxzorinlynx Posts: 170member

The GPS works fine without a SIM card inserted. However, the phone cannot communicate with Apple's servers over the Internet once the SIM is removed, because the cellular radio becomes disabled.

The result is the same; Find my iPhone stops working at this point unless it joins WiFi.