iPad users prefer landscape mode, late-night browsing

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    swaylonswaylon Posts: 24member
    When I had an iPad, I often surfed the web in landscape mode because the text was uncomfortably small to read in portrait mode. I suspect this to be a reason for these statistics. Come to think of it, even on my iMac, I often have to zoom in on an article's text to read comfortably.

With more and more iPads & tablets replacing desktops, I think web designers should design with tablet screens in mind and make legibility a bigger priority.

"I don't want to insult your intelligence but did you try the "Reader" view while surfing the web? It helps with this problem by removing the ads and making the text more clear. I do find people who don't know about this feature that is in Safari on any device including desktops.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    I only use landscape for videos, and I have a Smart Cover.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member

Quote:

Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

With more and more iPads & tablets replacing desktops, I think web designers should design with tablet screens in mind and make legibility a bigger priority.

I disagree.  I absolutely abhor sites that force me to view in "mobile" mode when I'm using my iPad 9.7".  I prefer the type size, clarity and presentation while viewing in portrait mode on a non-mobile (desktop) site.

I have mine locked on portrait mode.  My younger brother has his locked on landscape mode.  That's 50% on a survey of two.  Personally I would be more interested in the psychology in regards to why one is preferred over the other.  Is it a physical limitation like eye site, or having a wider grip?  A comfort zone holding it close instead of further away.

I have a very hard time believing that it's related to eye site when it is such a minuscule motion to pinch and zoom.  I suppose if it's someone who is not in shape then pinching to zoom would most likely be too much to ask.  On the same note, my brother is a literal health nut and he uses it in landscape only.  I would like further data.

Just pondering...

• Reply 44 of 53
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaylon View Post

"I don't want to insult your intelligence but did you try the "Reader" view while surfing the web? It helps with this problem by removing the ads and making the text more clear. I do find people who don't know about this feature that is in Safari on any device including desktops.

Oh, you added that after I responded.  That's one reason why I wonder.  It's just one 'tap" to hit the reader button and only the article is presented... generally in a larger type.  One tap again and you're back to seeing all the adds on the side.

I think they should have made the reader button larger in iOS7.  However, if they're going to mess up the icons, why not decide they're not going to improve that function either.

It would be cool if there was a four of five finger touch spread in Safari to bring in the reader view.  I don't think many people even know it exists because the button is so small.

• Reply 45 of 53
    I hope the 2 modes get better IPhone support in IOS 7
  • Reply 46 of 53
    I would like to take this opportunity to say how much I hate how OnSwipe hijacks perfectly good web pages %u2014 pages that look great on the iPad as they are %u2014 and redirects them to dumbed down proprietary pages. If they just did that for phones I might not complain. But when I'm on the iPad I want to see real, actual web pages, and not dig around to find the "show me the web version" button.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

Portrait works during the day while walking about. It feels like a book and seems right. At night, it's all Landscape. In bed with Amazon instant video or Netflix, watching a movie with the iPad resting on my mighty chest.

While I'm on this... Apple, please make the speakers more powerful and defy physics somehow by making the sound know which way I'm using the iPad and customize its output accordingly! I used to cup my right hand over the singular speaker so the sound would at least come towards me.

Landscape is perfect for movies. I added a UE Boombox for wireless auditory bliss. Thank you, Logitech.

• Reply 48 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I use landscape mode almost all the time. Larger keyboard and more room for menus. In fact only now, due to this article did I try reading AI in portrait mode for the fist time.
  • Reply 49 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatBoo View Post

Is it really a surprise? I rarely if ever use portrait orientation, and have always wished Apple would put the dock connector so that accessories worked better in landscape

Portrait is my default. The only time i'm in landscape is when watching video or playing games.

• Reply 50 of 53
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I mostly use portrait mode for reading books and using the apps...minus facetime of course. With websites I go back and forth between portrait and landscape modes. If the mini was retina display, it might not make as much sense to use landscape mode. I was recruited to work for OnSwipe but I decided to go a different direction.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Apple wasn't kidding when during the original iPad roll-out they said "there is no wrong way to hold it."  Unlike the new Surface, for example, that more or less forces users to use landscape mode, the iPad is super flexible.  I just pick mine up and use it.  Sometimes it's even "upside down" but who cares. 

That's the take-home message from this.  iPad users tend to use both orientations.

• Reply 52 of 53
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Being web or games, I am in landscape 100% of the time.

• Reply 53 of 53
    genexgenex Posts: 1member
    Would this be an appropriate place to mention how much I hate the OnSwipe interface and how I will almost always close a webpage before waiting the minute or two that it takes OnSwipe to load?