Apple promotes iOS 7 enterprise additions in pitch to business customers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Apple needs to step it up in the enterprise to fend off Android and Blackberry. It's good to see Apple including these features

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple needs to double-down in the enterprise. I'm getting sick and tired of hearing how Apple has no future growth prospects while every other tech company does. Doesn't anyone notice that Apple's P/E ratio is sitting solidly in the nines and slipping faster by the day. Apple's shareholder value is vanishing into thin air while Google's is flying ever higher. Tim Cook better find a way to increase his own pay now that it's tied to Apple's stock performance, even if he doesn't care about shareholders. How can a company be so clueless about increasing its own value while sitting on a growing mountain of cash?

Criticizing Apple for being laggardy consumer side makes sense, they are knocking it out of the park on the Enterprise side. Its possible this is what will make them money in the high end in the future. This would need a business model change, create an enterprise specific model ( cf fingerprint tech maybe) at the top of the line, and sell it in bulk to corporations. A bit of a Dell model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

You're skating to where the puck was.

Honestly,  the desktop is not where you want to go.  iPads will soon replace desktops.  Why.  Deskside support is the most expensive thing about desktops.  Between VDI and an cloud/app based infrastructure, why would any corporate drone need anything more than an iPad, wireless keyboard.  Drone mind you, not developer, not quant, not graphic designer, not research scientist... but sales, marketing, accounting, etc.

in 10 years or so,   The term 'laptop' will go the way of 'core memory'  Desktops will install on 20% of the current desktop footprint, the remainder moving to a mobile tablet.  Desktops will be diskless for the most part, as they will emulate the support structure of an iDevice.  Any 'legacy' will be done on VDI, a frame of VMs you allocate to those who need access to fat Win Apps.

Not now... but soon.   The key to winning the corporate 'footprint' is to a) make the support costs of an iDevice that of an old pager.   Provisioning is getting the serial number, linking to an AD entry, and integrating it to the security gateway (this user and this device combo is 'approved').   Deprovisioning is a remote wipe.   Failed device.  See Provisioning/deprovisioning.  as no data should be stored locally.   Once you can do that, then all phones, laptops and mobility is iOS.  Dev Team has to support iOS development, they get mac pros.   In an App world, tight coordination between the apps on the iDevice (Numbers) and the quants desktop will drive quants to evolve to numbers...  Keynote drives PPT off as a requirement.   and word/pages?  in a PDF world?

This is why the key for Microsoft to survive is to get Office onto the primary mobile devices.   Pages and Word on the web is the shootout for control of the corp world, now that Surface is showing how late to the game it is.   

Pushing macs... hah... Macs will come in as part of the Halo effect of iDevices...

I can see all this but I don't see desktops going away for most people.

• Reply 22 of 28
    Yeah but OTOH, enterprise loves Microsoft Windows and that OS is a total virus and malware magnet. Why would Android bother them?
  • Reply 23 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah but OTOH, enterprise loves Microsoft Windows and that OS is a total virus and malware magnet. Why would Android bother them?

you don't know what love is...

enterprises love to make money... everything else is about feeding that love.  Microsoft came in to solve a business problem (We can't explain to IT what we want, so we want to bypass them in solving business problems).   Then fat app vendors came in and built on Windows as it was on the desk of decision makers (low cost of entry).  Hence the SAPs, PeopleSofts, Oracles, etc. came on board.   If that was all it did, Windows would have been perfect.  

It was that damned Internet that caused Microsoft to give partial birth abortion  to its IP stack, LanManager, and IE to stay ahead of all those crazy XTerms, Mosaics, Uni workstations, and oh... that Macintosh...   

Corporations don't love Windows... they are in a relationship with an abusive partner and can't get out without dying.   Malware doesn't kill them... but ripping out their undocumented and poorly designed business systems, and then replacing these systems with no certainty it will work...  there is a real risk of death, and corporations love living more than death, therefore, living with microsoft is a sure thing.  Everything else is total risk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I can see all this but I don't see desktops going away for most people.

most people?   did you see 30 years ago most people having PCs?   I didn't.   327x/VTxxx terminals maybe, and I thought I was 'radical'.

Most people in a corp are information 'movers/editors'  they don't create:  email, facespace, an plinky spreadsheet/wordprocessor, browser and a printer. What my mom can do with an iMac G5, and my daughter does on a iPad.   You don't need backplanes, you don't need expansion, you don't need local storage (you need local access to corporate storage).

What does a desktop (non-mobile) computer do that a Virtual desktop can't?   again... for MOST people. (not graphics designers, developers, or quants/scientists [for that matter, they love virtual machines.... as long as they get massive memory and disk speed]).

Again, not in the next 10... but likely in the 10 years after that, The windows desktop will go the way of the System 3x or SunStation.

• Reply 24 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

You're skating to where the puck was.

Honestly,  the desktop is not where you want to go.  iPads will soon replace desktops.  Why.  Deskside support is the most expensive thing about desktops.  Between VDI and an cloud/app based infrastructure, why would any corporate drone need anything more than an iPad, wireless keyboard.  Drone mind you, not developer, not quant, not graphic designer, not research scientist... but sales, marketing, accounting, etc.

< snip >

This is why the key for Microsoft to survive is to get Office onto the primary mobile devices.   Pages and Word on the web is the shootout for control of the corp world, now that Surface is showing how late to the game it is.   

Pushing macs... hah... Macs will come in as part of the Halo effect of iDevices...

The desktop is dead except for a few niche departments. Laptops (like the MBA) are selling well and likely to stay around, even if they boot in Windows. The big numbers will be in iPads loaded up with custom corporate apps and iWorks. 

• Reply 25 of 28
    Corporations don't love Windows... they are in a relationship with an abusive partner and can't get out without dying.

Well put. It also explains why they frequently ship crappy products.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    creepcreep Posts: 80member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

While I understand the importance of this push, they really need to push again for Macs in the enterprise. It is the ecosystem that gives them long-term benefits. I blew a gasket when I found out how much our company was paying for Dell laptops when 80% could be done natively in OSX, at a comparable price with much better value.

The best way for them to stave off Google is to offer a competing GMail for Enterprise. The price point shouldn't be that hard to match at this point.

What about legacy application support?  There are still many browser-based applications that require ActiveX.  And don't forget the costs to train your users on an entirely new OS.

EDIT (Wow, the editor chopped off my entire second paragraph): I don't see Apple wanting to get into the gmail space.  How would it generate revenue?  Ads?  They don't have any interest in becoming a cloud services company...they offer cloud services to their hardware customers.  They're a hardware company, and as such, all their decisions are driven by the pursuit of hardware sales.

• Reply 27 of 28
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    jason swan wrote: »
    wish apple would provide the ability to password protect settings in ios7. I want to deploy 80 ipads in the public libraries that I work for, but there is no way whatsoever to lock them down so that settings cannot be changed.

I had something perfect working with a jailbreak and sbsettings, but with apple's crackdown on jailbreaking and forced os upgrades in configurator, I cannot use that approach.
    Easy answer. Use Kiosk mode. It's called Guided access.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    jason swan wrote: »
    wish apple would provide the ability to password protect settings in ios7. I want to deploy 80 ipads in the public libraries that I work for, but there is no way whatsoever to lock them down so that settings cannot be changed.

I had something perfect working with a jailbreak and sbsettings, but with apple's crackdown on jailbreaking and forced os upgrades in configurator, I cannot use that approach.

Why would you want to use a device which has a demonstrated (albeit relatively minor considering physical access is necessary) security flaw?

Have you tired any of the many available Mobile Device Management solutions?

http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/it-center/deployment-mdm.html