Google Earth gets Street View and new UI in update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 21
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    philboogie wrote: »

Wow, great discussion here! I'm going to try out all these spots you both mention, this Sunday.

As for the lower resolution difference between your two, could it be that one company has dynamic bandwidth scaling? Meaning they drop to lower resolution when your significant other kicks off a torrent in the den?

(Sorry about the quoting, 1) I thought it was funny that everyone 'just continued' and 2) I'm posting from an iPad and didn't feel like pinching much)

Yes - I'm on an iPad also, and this forum interface is hilariously bad on iOS. Dequoted.

It really is just a difference in the resolution of the data on the servers. Over the years Google has gradually improved both coverage and resolution, but it must represent a massive set of data and I have no idea how hard it was for them to source and how much post-processing was needed to make it useable.

It is curious that Apple's imagery is so poor around Wengen (it looks like they may have made a conscious effort to render the interesting high peaks in high resolution), but I guess that kind of supports the comments from various posters in the past that Apple has focussed on improving US coverage first.