Apple must modify Union Square store plans to save fountain, says City of San Francisco

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    alfiejr wrote: »
    you only "level" worthwhile things for something of the greatest importance and necessity. never just another high-end chain store. for example, if for some technical reason that was the only possible place to locate the new subway station actually being built a block away from there now. and even then, for something as small as this fountain you'd merely relocate it.

do you know anything about the history of Union Square? do you know about the true-landmark City of Paris that was "leveled" for a Neiman Marcus in the 1970's (they did relocate its ornamental rotunda)? that was back in the days of city-destroying "urban renewal." they made all the same arguments then you do now. would never be allowed to happen now.

I understand that for certain things. But these days EVERYTHING is put in that category. It's so easy to label something "art".

I'm not the only one who thinks its ugly.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    Or what, [I]fanboy[/I]?
  • Reply 63 of 66
    Except for all the people actually from San Francisco who say that it's in a backwater and that the fountain is an eyesore.

Don't use the word 'fanboy' here, either.

Nobody, I repeat, nobody, who knows anything about San Francisco, would call Union Square a "backwater"--FANBOY!
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Nobody, I repeat, nobody, who knows anything about San Francisco, would call Union Square a "backwater"

Anyone from the area want to chime in again, since poppy here seems to have missed it the first time? :p

• Reply 65 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

You might lose that bet. Although the Giants tried for many years to get the city to participate in building them a new stadium, the supervisors and electorate never went for it and Pac Bell Park (now AT&T park) was privately financed. Similarly, the 49ers tried and failed to make a deal with the city, and so they are building a new stadium in

Santa Clara. The NBA Warriors were once in San Francisco, could not get a publicly financed gym, and so moved to Oakland. The new owner of the Warriors is planning to build a privately financed arena a few blocks from the baseball stadium and move the Warriors back to SF. Your premise is misinformed.

And that is a bet I am happy to lose any day. Government should not be involved in financing sports teams. 

• Reply 66 of 66
    And that is a bet I am happy to lose any day. Government should not be involved in financing sports teams. 

"Santa Clara 49ers" just doesn't have a good ring to it. Oh well.