Apple applies for 'iWatch' trademark ownership in Japan

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Nothing here to do with any patent law, its what trademark laws are based upon; as both marks are (phonetically) identical there is a clear chance of confusion which[/SIZE][/SIZE] constitutes an [SIZE=10pt]infringement of a trademark.

When you put an unpronounceable character in the name of your product, I get to decide how to pronounce it.

Like Ke$ha. I call her Ke-dollar-ha.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Nothing here to do with any patent law, its what trademark laws are based upon; as both marks are (phonetically) identical there is a clear chance of confusion which[/SIZE][/SIZE] constitutes an [SIZE=10pt]infringement of a trademark.

When you put an unpronounceable character in the name of your product, I get to decide how to pronounce it.

Like Ke$ha. I call her Ke-dollar-ha.

You only get to decide how to MIS-pronounce it.

In particular & and @ are typographical signs that actually have specific meanings and pronunciations, because they are essentially akin to an advanced ligature.
    In particular, the character in question is called the "commercial 'at'", just like in [email protected], or "5lbs. of tomatoes @ $2/lbs."

Some people here debate anything as if Apple were perfect. Apple knows quite well that they will step on Trademarks, and in today's world that's nearly impossible. That's also why they are a big company, they will settle any claim with merit for a reasonable sum. Of course, when people have unreasonable demands, i.e. try to value the brand at what it's possibly worth for Apple, and not at what they might possibly have gained from that brand themselves, that Apple will litigate the other party into bankruptcy.

It's all standard business practice. Nothing to get riled up about.

So yes, iWatch clearly infringes on iw@ch, provided they cover similar product categories, and the iw@ch brand is not dormant or has a prior history of going undefended. The size of the market is irrelevant to the validity of a brand. If the iw@ch company were to (actively) be making custom watches for oil tycoons at the price of $20'000'000 each that need to be pre-ordered and require 6 years to be hand made by a combination of watch makers and electronic gurus in some craftman's shop in Switzerland, that would still be active use of the brand. It doesn't have to be mass marketed like a swatch to be a valid brand.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Khemlani View Post

Nothing here to do with any patent law, its what trademark laws are based upon; as both marks are (phonetically) identical there is a clear chance of confusion which constitutes an infringement of a trademark.

True, phonetic similarity can cause a problem.  This recently happened in Mexico with iFone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Khemlani View Post

The trademark iw@ch (phonetically IWATCH) belongs to Intertime (FE) Holdings Ltd, Hong Kong; the internationally famous manufacturer of VOILA Watches & iw@ch as per Japanese Trademark Certificate 4400665 dated July 14, 2000.

Apple would need to seek permission from Intertime before commencing any trade.

Perhaps in Japan, but that company's mark was abandoned here in the US back in 2003.

Meanwhile, another company filed for "iWatch" in the US last year, and has three oppositions pending.

The company is called "OMG Electronics" and they sell smart/phone watches of all kinds.

(There are other "iWatch" trademark holders in the fields of news and sensors, but they don't directly clash with smartwatches.)

--

As for people wondering about i-Names, Apple was not even close to being the first to use the "i" prefix.

• Reply 44 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="rcfa" url="/t/158316/apple-applies-for-iwatch-trademark-ownership-in-japan/40#post_2356392"]So yes, iWatch clearly infringes on iw@ch, provided they cover similar product categories...[/QUOTE]

Not in the slightest, no.