Apple's 'smart bezel' hides portions of a device display until needed, acts as secondary input

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

Although it would be very surprising to have a major  redesign of the 5 it would be very welcome. Most of us are expecting a 5S type refresh which is to say a few internal changes but nothing major on the exterior very much like the 4 to 4S. But Apple could surprise us and really shake things up. My biggest wish would be for the speakers to move to the front of the phone like the HTC One. That really makes a big difference by no longer needing to cup your hands to redirect sound when watching a video and you don't have your headphones or just don't want to use them. The chin and forehead of the iPhone do take a lot of valuable real estate and I am all for a way to reduce that footprint. That could mean a much larger display while keeping the phone size essentially the same size. But I doubt we will see larger than 4" this year but it could  set the stage for a larger one next year. 

• Reply 22 of 27

Uncle Fester had a great laugh out of this. There's no way to attach a keyboard. No keyboard = fail...!

• Reply 23 of 27
    airbubbleairbubble Posts: 105member

Yes has noted by others you already have full glass-face covering.

So if ready for production we will more likely see this in iPhone6, you'll get a tapered edge like iPhone5 but less visible,

and maybe be wider by a quarter inch also slimmer.

This would give full display on videos, games, surfing safari, maps and most apps that need it?

The home button would be summoned by ether a "tap" or "gesture" at central lower edge.

The camera and speaker atop are harder to hide! We remember the Apple patent for hidden camera under glass/screen.

I can't add links yet but remember the www.youtube.com/embed/jZkHpNnXLB0"  Although without the transparency.   

• Reply 24 of 27
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

What some people fail to understand is that a patent troll (or NPE if you're feeling cordial) doesn't make any actual products and instead make their money solely on lawsuits.  Apple doesn't fit that description.  To my knowledge Apple has only enforced patents that they use in their own products.  There's a world of difference there.

They have patented a wrap around AMOLED screen and do not have a device that fits that description (yet).  I remember seeing demonstrations of flexible AMOLED screens and applications 2 or 3 years ago and a discussion of it being used on store displays or even product packaging, so the idea doesn't seem as unique as some of Apple's previous ideas and no Apple product exists with the feature.  

Perhaps Apple is working on a device that will use a wrap around AMOLED, but I can understand why some people see this recent patent move as trolling.  Unless a wrap around AMOLED device appears soon, it looks like Apple is just making sure no one else can make a like device without paying a royalty, and that IS the definition of a patent troll.

I know the "patent troll" argument assumes that Apple isn't working on any new devices, and personally, I think they plan to use the technology.  And there is no doubt these same people will just find a new reason to hate Apple when the wrap around AMOLED device appears, but I do think it is worth pointing out there is a semi-valid reason for the "patent troll" claims.

If two or three years from now there's still no flexible AMOLED device, Apple is a troll.  Fortunately, I don't believe that is the case.

• Reply 25 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Idea: Why not just dispense with the bezels altogether and have an edge to edge display? You could have sensors along each edge which would intelligently know when you were just holding it or wanted to interact with things along the edge. I think it would look really futuristic and put them way above the competition if they could do this. In addition it would cut down on weight.

Oh, sure... drop an iPad with no metal bezel from waist height onto almost any hard surface and let me know how that goes.

• Reply 26 of 27
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Oh, sure... drop an iPad with no metal bezel from waist height onto almost any hard surface and let me know how that goes.

You are only basing that on the current model. A bezel-less iPad would obviously require strengthening in some other way.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mobius wrote: »
    You are only basing that on the current model. A bezel-less iPad would obviously require strengthening in some other way.

When you get down to it, Gorilla Glass is still glass and will break under most high impacts.