Apple rolls out iWork for iCloud beta, brings productivity suite to the Web [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    darryn lowedarryn lowe Posts: 250member

IE9 is the earliest you can use I believe although IE10 is pretty much guaranteed to run due to its HTML5 support.

I played with this yesterday for about 10 minutes because I was at work at the time. I LOVE it. I know it's in beta and so a lot of functionality is missing such as lack of tables in Pages but what is here makes Google Docs and Skydrive look like a complete joke.

I'm going to play with my Numbers spreadsheet to see how it pans out because there are a few things I use in that that I don't know whether they've translated but holy cow Apple have done a stunner with what they have pulled off.

In the small amount of time I played with it I had ZERO issues with it. So looking forward to full release.

• Reply 22 of 48
    titantigertitantiger Posts: 300member
    My guess is that you'll need to update from IE8 to a newer version.
  • Reply 23 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

IE9 is the earliest you can use I believe although IE10 is pretty much guaranteed to run due to its HTML5 support.

I played with this yesterday for about 10 minutes because I was at work at the time. I LOVE it. I know it's in beta and so a lot of functionality is missing such as lack of tables in Pages but what is here makes Google Docs and Skydrive look like a complete joke.

I'm going to play with my Numbers spreadsheet to see how it pans out because there are a few things I use in that that I don't know whether they've translated but holy cow Apple have done a stunner with what they have pulled off.

In the small amount of time I played with it I had ZERO issues with it. So looking forward to full release.

It would be a stunner if Apple adds a shit-ton of additional functionality once this comes out of beta. 

Catch old Uncle Fester in mid derisive chuckle. He has this mental picture of reality that doesn't play in the real world.

• Reply 24 of 48
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Gee, I really hopen Ivy ruins the iWorks icons as well? What do you all say?
  • Reply 25 of 48
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Firefox 22 isn't fully supported but it's working in Pages.app for a form letter.

• Reply 26 of 48
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    nagromme wrote: »
    I believe (once beta is over) that they intend to support Safari, Chrome (probably just about any webkit browser?) and Internet Explorer.

Looks like I can use ALL the online apps, even ones I never bought. Very nice free bonus! (But I wonder if they'll stay free after beta or not.)
    Hope so but not likely (or extremely limited) my guess?
  • Reply 27 of 48
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

I read an article talking about iWorks on the iCloud that said it was really good and is raising the bar for Google Docs and MS Office.  Will it be available outside of the iEcosystem?

• Reply 28 of 48
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

I'm yet to start testing this, even though I do have a developer account.

I do have an Office 365 subscription but on checking my account, the only mobile apps that are available for me are Lync (which has been in the App Store for quite sometime) and SharePoint. The main Office 365 app is still not available. Guess it is still limited to USA.

iWork on the Web looked really slick in the Keynote and I am looking forward to using that. The drag from desktop and drop on browser was really neat.

• Reply 29 of 48
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    For a beta, this works as advertised. Really smooth. Also, when opening the same document on my iPhone, Safari tells me it cannot display the document because it's still being uploaded. Great to get feedback on that, after my phone was done uploading it automatically showed the changed document.

Really really nice. Once they work out all kinks, they can build out on the options they can add. For starters, I think it's an really excellent setup/config they have done here. Must be very rewarding to be working in a team developing this software. And when you think about the many users who will use it, that might be more satisfying than a pay check (well, maybe that's over the top, but you catch my drift).
  • Reply 30 of 48
    airbubbleairbubble Posts: 105member

So far it's smooth & fast, some teething points if your editing a template ( currency clicking on Category>Data>Data Formate = Automatic and

select Currency €. It doesn't set the change for the whole data? On the other hand starting from fresh and setting the layout from scratch it does.

Right now you can not edit change Charts but this is a beta and shows promise.   

• Reply 31 of 48
    kiltedgreenkiltedgreen Posts: 599member

As a developer I tried this sometime back and I really was amazed at how slick and speedy it was - even dragging and dropping images from the desktop and rotating them. It's like using it on the iPad, not on the Mac, but very impressive indeed I thought.

Apple have produced a very polished set of "apps" here even in Beta.

• Reply 32 of 48
    From an education point if view this would be great but we have the problem that children share iPads and so iCloud accounts would also need to be shared. I tried having a shared iCloud account for this but there built up so many files with the limited file system it became untenable. I had hoped iOS7 would allow multiple users and until this time we will rely on Dropbox to store work as the children can export it to their own folder.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    Hope so but not likely (or extremely limited) my guess?

I could see iWork in iCloud stay free. It would drive sales of iWork apps for iOS for sure (as you are presented with the option to set up iCloud in your device when visiting from an iOS device).
  • Reply 34 of 48
    twiselltwisell Posts: 27member
    I did get the link as a developer... but i actually never renew a paid subscription to the developer program.

Once upon a time I created a free (student?) developer account and I guess I currently enjoy this legacy support of my subscription.

I think this mean that all developers who didn't paid the annual fee are now enrolled in beta ;)
  • Reply 35 of 48
    dominoxmldominoxml Posts: 110member
    Some pretty enthusiastic reviews:

„If Google Docs and Office 365 are web 2.0, Pages for iCloud is putting forward a case for what a web 3.0 app could be like.“

Read more at http://www.electronista.com/articles/13/07/03/pages.for.icloud.points.to.the.future.of.web.apps/#kqlB3kqkB5w2cTyl.99

„Keynote for iCloud is pure innovation and a perfect example of Apple at its absolute best.“

Read more at http://www.electronista.com/articles/13/07/04/keynote.for.icloud.defines.apples.vision.for.web.30/#GGizRYDBAptfx0AF.99
  • Reply 36 of 48

Great, so now we have iWork on the web... and still no Maps!

• Reply 37 of 48
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

This is, IMO, a better implementation than google docs or Office 365 on the web. Very fast.

Looking forward, but the worthies you mentioned aren't 'zactly a particularly high bar to beat.  I have accounts with both (well the free Windows Outlook version most comparable to G Docs at least) - and have only visited them to note their evolution after finding how limited and quirky they are. 

But as long as I have "real applications," paid Sugar Sync and free DropBox, none of these - except maybe Keynote if I'm away from a real app - for me.

• Reply 38 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Have you not been paying attention? It's going to be in a little something called Mac OS X Mavericks.

• Reply 39 of 48

I tried out Numbers last night.

I have a spreadsheet that has tick boxes that when checked will add rows into another table. Works... flaw... lessly.

At the moment I suspect Numbers has had the most development behind it because it's really the most complex of the three apps but man is this suite starting to look sweet.

Numbers is my most used app of the lot though so it's nice to have it working so well.

• Reply 40 of 48
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

Well, if you compare the performance of the Maps app included with the 10.9 beta with Google Maps, even when running in Chrome, or on a ChromeBook Pixel... You will see why Apple made a native app. It makes Google Maps look like a complete dog. (Of course, depending on your location, the quality of the mapping and POI data might be another question. Where I am frequently, Germany and India, it can't really compete with Google... and Apple has not implemented a single one of the almost 500 corrections I have sent them since iOS6 is out. And I have given up now.)