Samsung earnings disappoint amidst concerns of slowing smartphone growth

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

...  The other is getting a bigger screen phone, which is seriously hampering their growth.  I personally think that the market is definitely split up into three definite screen sizes and Apple needs to constantly address this...

We will see about this. However my gut feeling is that the screen size issue is a furphy. After the cheap iPhone comes out we will then see the truth of this. Apple does not need to delve into even thinking about silly large screen phones until they have exhausted the possibilities with their current one. By the time they are ready to make a large screen phone, they will become redundant

• Reply 82 of 91
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyhorsman View Post

It's called passive-aggression. Other examples include, "Yawn", "Meh" and "How is this news?".

That's not really what passive-aggressive means. The key component of passive-aggressive behavior is not doing.

• Reply 83 of 91
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumormill View Post

Apple is a company that nets more than 10% of their market cap in yearly earnings, has about 40% of its market cap in cash equivalents, has authorized 15% of its market cap in buy backs, and offers a dividend and we are to believe they should have a pe of 7 or 8. It's incredible that the arguments against this company has been reduced down to a cheaper phone or wider phone for it to have reasonable value....

Some of the analysts don't know what they are talking about.  Some do, but a lot don't.  Remember, a lot of analysts are not technologically astute enough, some do grasp what Apple should do to get more growth.  

• Reply 84 of 91
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    analogjack wrote: »
    Looks like Samsung had been drawn into a trap of their own making. They have blithely copied and smugly profited by copying Apple and have become intoxicated by the profits of Apple while being oblivious to the deep philosophical underpinning.

Thus they, as the article says, become more dependent on their smartphones, then amid dwindling profits while chasing the chimera of sheer numbers of sales, they get drawn into a cycle of needing to pour ever more resources chasing a shadow.

All the while as Samsung become more dependent on their smartphones, Apple gradually keeps on doing what they do and soon, beginning with the ground shifting iOS 7 they will suddenly steam ahead, and leave Samsung to ponder where they went wrong.
    Dwindling profits? How much did their profits dwindle?
  • Reply 85 of 91
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    drblank wrote: »
    Some of the analysts don't know what they are talking about.  Some do, but a lot don't.  Remember, a lot of analysts are not technologically astute enough, some do grasp what Apple should do to get more growth.  

Really? What is it Apple has to do? Which analysts grasp this?
  • Reply 86 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

...  The other is getting a bigger screen phone, which is seriously hampering their growth.  I personally think that the market is definitely split up into three definite screen sizes and Apple needs to constantly address this...

We will see about this. However my gut feeling is that the screen size issue is a furphy. After the cheap iPhone comes out we will then see the truth of this. Apple does not need to delve into even thinking about silly large screen phones until they have exhausted the possibilities with their current one. By the time they are ready to make a large screen phone, they will become redundant

I'm trying to see your point.  What's wrong with Apple having 3 distinct screen sizes and always updating them every year with new processors, this and that?  It gives people a few more choices, but not too many.  There is a growing trend in larger screen sizes for CERTAIN people.  I wear glasses and my eyesight sucks and using the 3.5 is hard on the eyes, the 4 inch is a little better, but not much since it needs more width and height to display things clearer without having to constantly zoom in/out.  They have a ways to go before they exhaust ANY screen size. But I'm failing to see your point. I apologize for that.

I actually think that Apple should work with the carriers to see if they would do a one phone number account multiple devices linked service plan and take ALL of their mobile devices, iPhone, iPad, and laptops and stick the voice/data chip/antenna as an option, so IF we bought any of these devices they could be linked to one phone number and which ever device is in use, the others can't. Sometimes I just want to carry around my phone, sometimes I just want to carry around a tablet, sometimes I just want to carry a laptop, so why not give us cellular data and voice so we always have a phone to use, if the laptop is stored away, then we can have a bluetooth earpiece or iWatch to trigger answering/making calls and it's connected to which ever phone enabled device that's close by and connected to.  I think that would be a cool concept to be looked in to.

• Reply 87 of 91
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I actually think that Apple should work with the carriers to see if they would do a one phone number account multiple devices linked service plan and take ALL of their mobile devices, iPhone, iPad, and laptops and stick the voice/data chip/antenna as an option, so IF we bought any of these devices they could be linked to one phone number and which ever device is in use, the others can't. 

Sounds like using a GSM SIM swapped between devices.

Or the virtual equivalent on CDMA carriers like Verizon, where you simply punch a few numbers into the device you wish to use in place of the previous one.  (Don't even need the current phone anywhere near you.  Great when you've lost your phone!)

(There's also Google Voice if you want one number, but that would require paying multiple plans.)

• Reply 88 of 91
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It's hard to release something cheaper yet keep high margins. Apple said the iPad mini had the lowest margins of any Apple device. But with the mini Apple didn't sacrifice quality for the sake of margins. I'm sorry but those candy colored plastic cases look cheap. Not something I would spend $400 or more on. I don't think Apple can play in the low end space yet still expect to get high end like margins.

We are beyond the era where $400 is considered as a cheap phone. Around $300 you can now get a phone with a quad core processor, 2GB RAM, 16 GB Flash, Full HD 1920x1080 display, 3000MAh battery, and Android 4.2.2 (Micromax Canvas 4 expected to launch at that price/specs tomorrow). Even Samsung is seeing considerable pressure from these second rung Android phones that have got the spec comparison covered. Secondly, the $400 phone would be too close to the flagship iPhone that there would be considerable risk of cannibalization.

Apple's best bet is to release a $200 phone - that would be regular screen (not retina), 4GB flash, A4 processor, plastic body, 512MB RAM, etc. Pretty much the iPhone 3GS with an A4 processor, and with much lesser flash. This is the sort of device that would cost very little to make, have phenomenal volumes, and have zero risk of cannibalizing the flagship phone. This is the price at which iPhone can have tremendous impact in developing world, and have massive market share.

Apple was selling the iPhone 3GS for $300 over a year back. It should be easily possible for Apple to upgrade the processor, and sell it for $200 today, with much higher volumes.

But more importantly, I think Apple needs to lower the prices of the flagship phones too. I would suggest a triple strategy - $600 for the highend flagship, $400 for flagship phones with lesser flash - 8GB, lesser RAM (1GB), plastic body/back, without LTE & 11ac support. The cheap iPhone can be priced at $200. This would cover all bases for Apple and make significant difference to their market share. This is the sort of move that would crush Android.

• Reply 89 of 91
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    macarena wrote: »

Apple's best bet is to release a $200 phone - that would be regular screen (not retina), 4GB flash, A4 processor, plastic body, 512MB RAM, etc. Pretty much the iPhone 3GS with an A4 processor, and with much lesser flash. This is the sort of device that would cost very little to make, have phenomenal volumes, and have zero risk of cannibalizing the flagship phone. This is the price at which iPhone can have tremendous impact in developing world, and have massive market share.

Not going to happen. The iPad mini is $329. The "cheap" iPhone isn't going to be less than that.
  • Reply 90 of 91
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    macarena wrote: »
    Apple's best bet is to release a $200 phone

Can't be done.
    regular screen (not retina)

No point.
    4GB flash

Unusably small, but hey; no apps and no data and no anything for you means you don't need much space, huh?
    plastic body

Substandard ugliness.
    512MB RAM

And no software updates, then.
    Pretty much the iPhone 3GS with an A4 processor

Remember how people have been saying that for almost three years now?
    phenomenal volumes

To whom?
    and have zero risk of cannibalizing the flagship phone.

Because no one would want it.
    Apple was selling the iPhone 3GS for $300 over a year back.

$450.
    But more importantly, I think Apple needs to lower the prices of the flagship phones too.

You think, but they know. And no, they don't. Never mind that they can't.
    This would cover all bases for Apple and make significant difference to their market share. This is the sort of move that would crush Android.

"BUT WHO WOULD MAKE THEM?!", to modify a quote from Stalin.

There just isn't enough production capacity in the world to do this. How does everyone forget the state of things for two months out of the entire year? The iPhone sells out for months after launch; it's just unavailable anywhere. Even lowering the price of an existing model would add another month to that.
  • Reply 91 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Can't be done.

No point.

Unusably small, but hey; no apps and no data and no anything for you means you don't need much space, huh?

Substandard ugliness.

And no software updates, then.

Remember how people have been saying that for almost three years now?

To whom?

Because no one would want it.

$450.

You think, but they know. And no, they don't. Never mind that they can't.

"BUT WHO WOULD MAKE THEM?!", to modify a quote from Stalin.

There just isn't enough production capacity in the world to do this. How does everyone forget the state of things for two months out of the entire year? The iPhone sells out for months after launch; it's just unavailable anywhere. Even lowering the price of an existing model would add another month to that.

Yeah, Apple is not going to sell a $200 unlocked phone, there's no profit in it.

I can see them doing a polycarb case for a less expensive model, but not for $200.  Maybe $350 or $400, which would give them a $0 2 year contract phone.

4GB RAM?  Maybe, but doubtful, I think 8G is small enough.

Non-retina display? maybe, but not likely.

Apple has to keep their profit margins at a certain point as to not errode them like the PC mfg and other companies have been doing to themselves. Why do you think these PC companies are losing money? $500 laptops and desktops. 

Apple is where they are by not always following what others have done.