FCC clears way for SoftBank to buy Sprint, Sprint to buy Clearwire

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

This sucks. 

Dish really wanted Clearwire, and no matter what you may think about Dish, what they were looking to do could have benefited millions of rural Americans either directly or indirectly. 

Their goal was to acquire Clearwire to help them develop a wireless Internet infrastructure in rural areas of the US that are being ignored by broadband providers.  They needed the spectrum and technology Clearwire had.  Sprint will just use it to make their sad network a little better in the urban areas they already service.  They will continue to ignore rural markets as they always have.  No one in my area has Sprint if they intend to make actual phone calls.  The signal is a joke.  On the other hand, Dish is already testing their wireless Internet to the west of me.  

So, at least for me, a company that could have benefited me and millions like me lost out to a company that may use the technology to benefit their existing customers, but they'll continue to ignore towns like the one I live in.  

Please don't insult me with the "it benefits the market with choice" crap.  We have several options in this area for wireless providers.  Having a choice of cell phone providers is not a major issue when compared to lack of choice of broadband providers.  There are plenty of places around where your only option is DSL.  Or where your only option is Cable.  If you are lucky, you may have a choice of both, but the least you'll pay is $60/month because you won't bundle it with services you do not want or need.

Dish Internet was my chance at a bundle I would actually find attractive.

Die Sprint.  Just die already.

[edit: This doesn't kill Dish's idea but it surely slows them down]

• Reply 22 of 22
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

This sucks. 

Dish really wanted Clearwire, and no matter what you may think about Dish, what they were looking to do could have benefited millions of rural Americans either directly or indirectly. 

Their goal was to acquire Clearwire to help them develop a wireless Internet infrastructure in rural areas of the US that are being ignored by broadband providers.  They needed the spectrum and technology Clearwire had.  Sprint will just use it to make their sad network a little better in the urban areas they already service.  They will continue to ignore rural markets as they always have.  No one in my area has Sprint if they intend to make actual phone calls.  The signal is a joke.  On the other hand, Dish is already testing their wireless Internet to the west of me.  

So, at least for me, a company that could have benefited me and millions like me lost out to a company that may use the technology to benefit their existing customers, but they'll continue to ignore towns like the one I live in.  

Please don't insult me with the "it benefits the market with choice" crap.  We have several options in this area for wireless providers.  Having a choice of cell phone providers is not a major issue when compared to lack of choice of broadband providers.  There are plenty of places around where your only option is DSL.  Or where your only option is Cable.  If you are lucky, you may have a choice of both, but the least you'll pay is $60/month because you won't bundle it with services you do not want or need.

Dish Internet was my chance at a bundle I would actually find attractive.

Die Sprint.  Just die already.

[edit: This doesn't kill Dish's idea but it surely slows them down]

Just off the top of my head:  I dunno what Softbank plans to do, but maybe a combo of Sprint, Clearwire AND Dish could be interesting....???  And there's the kinda maybe interesting Project Loon out of Google piloting up in New Zealand....

Meanwhile lots of my watching-their-budget friends are using Sprint tower lessees like Cricket and now starting up, Republic, so dunno if these moves will benefit the MVNO's.  Whatev', all is not lost.....  ....nor found, of course.