Using Google Glass: A series of awkward encounters

Comments

• Reply 181 of 235
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

I don't think I'll ever have use for Glass, but I hope it succeeds.  I'm sure there are other people out there who could really use this for work or for their personal lives.  Bio-chemists or quadriplegics, 

and Pedophiles.

• Reply 182 of 235
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

star gazing at night, ... 

How is that different from using iPad?

• Reply 183 of 235
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 448member
    Well, i do use the iPad now for star gazing. But pointing to a star with a device that blocks your sight is quite complicated.
    It seems to me that just looking at a star is the (far) more simple approach.
  • Reply 184 of 235
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 448member
    matrix07 wrote: »

and Pedophiles.
    They use the iPad as well
  • Reply 185 of 235
    flipkal wrote: »
    Great comparison, Glasses to Newton. I have a Newton. I remember using it at a meeting back in 1998, trying to take notes. I felt like a dork, and I think others thought the same. With Glasses, I would feel the same, and probably get the same reactions. BTW, my Newton is safely stored away, awaiting its value to increase as the years go by. (and it still works)

Just like the first Tablet PCs running Windows 3.11. :p
  • Reply 186 of 235

The iPad shows you the name of the planets and constellations.
  • Reply 187 of 235
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    blitz1 wrote: »

They use the iPad as well

True but it's kind of hard hiding the iPad when spying in the playgrounds.
  • Reply 188 of 235
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member

Quote:

... During hiking, when performing surgery, whilst visiting a museum, when repairing a car, star gazing at night, ... enhanced reality has an edge. ...

What kind of surgery do you do?

• Reply 189 of 235
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Well, i do use the iPad now for star gazing. But pointing to a star with a device that blocks your sight is quite complicated.

It seems to me that just looking at a star is the (far) more simple approach.

You know Star Walk got a augmented reality mode where you can align real stars with the ones on screen.

Beside, I don't find complicated at all to point the sky with my iPad and find out stars and constellation names. 

• Reply 190 of 235
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

No. Because what matters is WHAT the device does, not HOW it does it.

I don't care if it had a super-computer built-in, or needs to connect via a BT-interface to a phone, that connects to your home computer, which connects to a satellite uplink , which connects to supercomputer...

All that matters is that it's a massive invasion of privacy as the device stands. How it does so is utterly irrelevant.

You are ignoring the truths.  The article wrongly called Google Glass as a cell phone.  It does not have a cell phone chip inside it.  So it can not be called a cell phone.  Google and its supporters want the fools believe that Google created a great device.  The truths is GG is not worth $1500.  Its components worth probably just $100. 

• Reply 191 of 235
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,591member
    tzeshan wrote: »

You are ignoring the truths.  The article wrongly called Google Glass as a cell phone.  It does not have a cell phone chip inside it.  So it can not be called a cell phone.  Google and its supporters want the fools believe that Google created a great device.  The truths is GG is not worth $1500.  Its components worth probably just $100. 

Nor will it sell for $1500 when it becomes publicly available according to several blogs. The retail price guesses are more in the range of $300-500.
  • Reply 192 of 235
    blitz1 wrote: »
    T when performing surgery...

There was an article on this a few days back.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420852,00.asp

and in the Doctor's words:
    http://rgrosssz.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/ok-glass-pass-me-the-scalpel-please-googleglass-during-surgery/
  • Reply 193 of 235

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Nor will it sell for $1500 when it becomes publicly available according to several blogs. The retail price guesses are more in the range of $300-500.

$300-$500 is still a rip off.  It can not be worth more than a cheapest Android tablet. 

• Reply 194 of 235

$300-$500 is still a rip off.  It can not be worth more than a cheapest Android tablet. 

It's worth what the market will bear obviously. First mover advantage and all that.
  • Reply 195 of 235

Quote:

It's worth what the market will bear obviously. First mover advantage and all that.

A lot of people think $199 for iPhone 5 is expensive. 

• Reply 196 of 235

A lot of people think $199 for iPhone 5 is expensive. 

And that's not what Apple sells the iPhone 5 for. A lot of people are willing to pay the non-subsidized (contract free) price of at least $649. The build cost has been estimated at around $200, with UBM saying it's even less than that, just $168 in component costs. Is Apple "ripping off" buyers too?
  • Reply 197 of 235

Quote:

And that's not what Apple sells the iPhone 5 for. A lot of people are willing to pay the non-subsidized (contract free) price of at least $649. The build cost has been estimated at around $200, with UBM saying it's even less than that, just $168 in component costs. Is Apple "ripping off" buyers too?

iPhone 5 is well built.  Google Glass is a defective device.  Its battery life lasts only a couple hours.  In order to use it you have to wear it when you need it.  Other times you need to store it.  This is very strange to other people seeing a GG using taking GG out and put it back from time to time. 

• Reply 198 of 235

iPhone 5 is well built.  Google Glass is a defective device.  Its battery life lasts only a couple hours. 

Are you claiming the beta developer (explorer) device being tested is identical to the up-coming consumer version? Where are you getting that info?
  • Reply 199 of 235

Quote:

Are you claiming the beta developer (explorer) device being tested is identical to the up-coming consumer version? Where are you getting that info?

One of the AI reviews said the battery life is poor.  I doubt Google can improve the battery life significantly with the consumer version.  GG designers probably do not know people wearing glasses the weight is an important factor.

• Reply 200 of 235

One of the AI reviews said the battery life is poor.  I doubt Google can improve the battery life significantly with the consumer version.  GG designers probably do not know people wearing glasses the weight is an important factor.

I personally think Google will find a way to significantly improve battery life. One of the changes already slated for the consumer version is an OLED display which by itself may be a big assist.