T-Mobile launch helps iPhone cut Android lead in US by 3.5%

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I have a nexus 4, about two months ago I lost it so I went out and got a t-mobile iPhone 5, While it was not a bad phone it was not for me. To many it felt like compromises to get to work like I wanted. For me if apple would like to steal my business from Android they would have to have better notifications (actionable like android 4.1, I would have to get a choice in keyboards the thing I missed most from the android during my brief stint with the iPhone was swiftkey. I would like to also like to chose my default app for internet. Other then that I am fairly pleased with iOS. Making a bigger screen is not enough to make people switch people have been spoiled by the android features and they will go back to android because they will miss those features. The keyboard selection is enough to keep me on android. Its not just larger screens that keep people on android its the smaller things.

I did end up getting another Nexus 4 and gave the iPhone 5 to my sister.  

iOS 7 will address the notification and quick settings complaint to a degree. I also understand some people simply prefer Android for the reasons you listed and others not mentioned and I don't see it ever being wiped out. But I hope you would also acknowledge that many people on Android chose their phone for nothing more than the screen size. Most iPhone and Android phone owners are very basic users that rarely make major changes. They use the stock keyboard and stock browser. The fact that you are even on a forum discussing this issue means you and I are not very representative of the vast majority of people who never bother posting or reading  about their phones except for when they are seeking technical help. A larger screened iPhone would appeal to a lot more people. 

• Reply 22 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormM View Post

If this is iOS versus Android operating system share, why aren't we counting tablets also?  In which case iOS is already well ahead of all Android devices combined, in the US.

From the point of view of developers and market share for iOS, it doesn't make sense to exclude tablets.

Exactly! Precisely! Market share numbers seem to be thrown around at random. iOS and Android are mobile operating systems so it doesn't matter which device they are running on for comparison. If you want to talk about smartphones then make that clear. 

"Kantar Worldpanel on Monday released its latest analysis of the U.S. smartphone market for the three month period ending May 2013, finding that Apples iOS platform held 41.9 percent of sales. That figure is up 3.5 percent from the same period last year."

"Apples (sic) iOS platform" clearly includes the iPad, and the Android platform includes tablets too.

• Reply 23 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Isn't that why Google is working on self driving cars? Just so you can continue to feed them data they can sell ads you go down the highway? Why don't they just build the power plant from the Matrix already and plug us all in. Then we could feed them data without stoping to eat, sleep, or take a crap!!!!

I will never put my life in the hands of a Google product.

Just imagine it: Your self-driving car is taking you home from work when suddenly it turns into the nearest Pizza Hut and parks. You get on the line with the OS...

"Hey, car... take me home."
    "I'm sorry, Dave, but you must purchase a personal pan pizza, $5.99 for a limited time only from Pizza Hut, before continuing home."
    "That's outrageous!"
    "You should have sprung for the ad-free package, Dave."
    "That was five grand extra!"
    "But this pizza is only $5.99."
    "THAT'S NOT THE POINT!"
    "I am detecting elevated stress patterns in your voice. Why don't I drive you to Walgreens so that you can buy a stress pill?"
  • Reply 24 of 28
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thanks for, once again, not bothering to back up your ludicrous positions with any fact or even supposition, choosing instead to attack me. You've been told not to lie, by the way. Maybe you've forgotten.

Nope, that came directly from you. If any forum veterans see this thread they can back me up. You have said the only iPhone you ever owned was a 1st generation you won from a radio contest. Not once since then have I ever see you mentioned owning a newer iPhone. I have asked you numerous times what you have and you always deflect or ignore the question. So if you own an iPhone what model do you have and what carrier? It is not a matter of me lying since I only know what you write on here and I have never seen you mention owning anything later than an iPhone 1 which doesn't count. Let's see if you ignore or deflect as usual.

So for the last time, if you own an iPhone what model do you have and on what carrier? Only you would consider asking someone what model of iPhone they have an attack. I suppose all your drive by's with sighs, rolling eyes, sarcastic comments, telling people to shut up and go away is perfectly acceptable but to ask what kind of iPhone they have is an attack and crosses the line. image

• Reply 25 of 28
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    That's because iPhone works best in the us. Map. SIRI. Everything.

On the other hand, Android is awful everywhere but almost usable in the United States.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    IGZO. (Someone has to mention it. If for no other reason.)
  • Reply 27 of 28
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

I'm part of this trend. I brought the whole family over to Tmobile. I got myself a new iPhone 5 for Father's Day, gave the wife the 4s and the kids each have an iPhone 4. Everyone has unlimited talk/text and data. The data isn't TRULY unlimited because it throttled however the wife and I get 2.5 gigs each and the kids get half a gig each plus personal hot spot, visual voicemail ,facetime, etc all work.

I was personally shocked at how many places the older iPhone's get 3G on T-mobile now. While it is far from perfect, we only pay $120 a month for cell service for four iPhones.

• Reply 28 of 28
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Exactly! Precisely! Market share numbers seem to be thrown around at random. iOS and Android are mobile operating systems so it doesn't matter which device they are running on for comparison. If you want to talk about smartphones then make that clear. 

"<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">Kantar Worldpanel on Monday released its </span>
    <a href="http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/global/News/news-articles/Apple-closer-to-Android-in-the-US-as-Carrier-Distribution-Grows" style="border:0px;font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;" target="_blank">latest analysis</a>
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;"> of the U.S. smartphone market for the three month period ending May 2013, finding that Apples iOS platform held 41.9 percent of sales. That figure is up 3.5 percent from the same period last year."</span>

<span style="line-height:18px;">"Apples (sic) iOS platform" clearly includes the iPad, and the Android platform includes tablets too.</span>

I don't believe the survey included tablets. It's a survey group for mobile phone purchases.

I agree that iOS *should* include iPads, especially with Universal apps and backwards compatibility. Market share really only matters to developers, so this is relevant.

It's stupid to ignore the iPad and even iPod touch (not the ATV as that doesn't run apps... Yet).