Nokia Lumia 1020 hardware 'lags behind' while Microsoft struggles to update Windows Phone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Depends. How do you define better?

Resolution, noise, particularly at higher ISOs, lens quality and maximum aperture, overall low-light performance, type of flash xenon/LED, dynamic range, image stabilisation effectiveness.

• Reply 42 of 68
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

So the real question is actually "Will Nokia be around when Windows Phone 9 is ready?"

I'd give them a 25% chance of surviving another year and a quarter, unless they "diversify"

and become YAAHM.  Yet Another Android Handset Manufacturer.  

And get plowed under by Samsung like all the other YAAHM?  Woot!

The path they took may not be roses but likely no worse than going down the linux or android path.

• Reply 43 of 68
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    An odd premise for an article from an Apple centric website.

Regardless of the platform, specifications aren't important if the user experience is aesthetically pleasing, feature-rich, intuitive, responsive and uniform.

Despite specifications much lower than the (supposedly) high-end Android "smartphones," the iPhone 5 offers a much better user experience.

The success of Android is highly dependent upon being the anti-Apple experience. Apparently any people prefer unintuitive, unresponsive, disconnected experiences as long as the price is affordable.

The issue with Windows Phone is the release was far too late, the user experience not aesthetically pleasing (to many) and lacking richness of features. As a result, Microsoft had to develop an operating system which was neither Android nor iOS.
  • Reply 44 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Depends. How do you define better?

There isn't one better.  To get better than the 1020 you need to get the Galaxy Camera and that's not a smartphone.

The 928 already scored well and this is the Pureview 808 updated to current hardware with a faster lens.

Frankly, I'm tempted to get this for my wife instead of the 5S.  All she cares about is gmail, youtube, netflix, web surfing and taking pictures.  The apps are very secondary.

I wish they had red or blue though. 

• Reply 45 of 68
    qamfqamf Posts: 87member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Resolution, noise, particularly at higher ISOs, lens quality and maximum aperture, overall low-light performance, type of flash xenon/LED, dynamic range, image stabilisation effectiveness.

the Lumia 1020 is the top of the pack. Of released phones, the only 808 might still be the top....

Samsung's new zoom S4 should be interesting as well, first real competition to stuff that Nokia has.

If you want flash,  best stabilization, etc, Nokia currently offers the best products as far as I know.

Especially in low light.

Quote:

Originally posted by nht

There isn't one better.  To get better than the 1020 you need to get the Galaxy Camera and that's not a smartphone.

The 928 already scored well and this is the Pureview 808 updated to current hardware with a faster lens.

Frankly, I'm tempted to get this for my wife instead of the 5S.  All she cares about is gmail, youtube, netflix, web surfing and taking pictures.  The apps are very secondary.

The new Samsung android w/ optical zoom could better, but Nokia certainly has a lot more experience and credibility (I didn't think I would be saying credibility and Nokia in the same sentence ever 0.o) with camera's in phones.

And why do people want the colors that are only made in glossy... but, it is a personal choice :)

-QAMF

• Reply 46 of 68
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

I agree.  The Lumia 1020 is more of a camera with a phone in it.  It's a little on the thick side for me.

I haven't played around with the Lumia's only since the first one they came out with Windows sucked.  It's just felt real cheap, plus I'm not a fan of Windows.

I'm not going to buy a new phone until next year and it will be an Apple IPhone when Apple gets off their ASS and creates a nice phone with a 4.5 inch or larger screen size, which I hope get introduced this year.

Apple needs to bring out 3 models of phones each year to go after different market segments.  This one phone a year doesn't make it.  Sorry Apple, but you guys HAVE to bring something out that isn't going to crack, chip, peel, break that has a decent sized screen, a great camera, speed, thin, great battery life, screen quality even in direct sunlight, and can get bright without draining the battery, etc.

• Reply 47 of 68
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by QAMF View Post

the Lumia 1020 is the top of the pack. Of released phones, the only 808 might still be the top....

Samsung's new zoom S4 should be interesting as well, first real competition to stuff that Nokia has.

If you want flash,  best stabilization, etc, Nokia currently offers the best products as far as I know.

Especially in low light.

-QAMF

Ah, the S4 zoom that already has the nickname 'the shoe'.  No doubt Mae West would have a memorable quip to bestow referencing pockets.

We are on the same page, you need to go back in the discussion to get the appropriate context for my comments.

• Reply 48 of 68
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post

Here are a few examples: and just One of these are a deal breaker. My bank app. 

My bank app: no

Starbucks app: no

Any.do: no (yes there are note apps but I need them to sync with a Mac, not windows and I don't like evernote. 

Fantastical: No (hate the calendar on WP8) and fantastical sync with the Mac app

G+: no 

Local TV station weather app: No 

Google Music: No

Fieldrunners 1 & 2: both No

Shazam: No

Geico App: No 

Songpop: No 

SayHi: No

Google Drive: No

Catch: No

Google Voice: No

OFFICIAL Facebook app; No, it's made my microsoft, even Facebook won't bother making an app for WP8. (the WP8 Facebook sucks compared to the iPhone FB app)

I could go on and on. But ALL of those are available on Android And Apple.  WP8 has the basic, call, text, calendar, alarm apps. I can get a $10 flip phone with those apps pre installed as well. 

I can't see owning a phone that would ask me to give up apps i LIKE and use just to have a "different" platform. 

I don't want to use some 3rd party "knock off" app to replace Name Brand apps. 

Take all of those apps. 3 of them would keep me from using WP8.  My bank app, My local live alert weather app, and my Geico app. (the geico app keeps me from having to print off insurance cards, I get digital ones that are always current and legal where I live.)

And there are no apps that "do the same thing" for those apps. 

Wrong....

Shazam - Yes

G+ - Yes

Geico app? Who f'n cares?

I use wella fargo and the webpage has all the functionality I need...

Google music? There is Spotify which I would much prefer anyway, and Nokia Music if you have a Lumia.

Vine is coming

Mint is coming

Only thing that bugs me is no Logmein official app.

• Reply 49 of 68
    profprof Posts: 84member
    Sorry but this is quite hypocritical. If you apply the same criteria to S4 vs. iPhone 5 you will come to the same conclusions as in the Lumia 1020 comparison: The iPhone 5 is more expensive, has a smaller screen, less pixels (and pixel density), lower resolution on the camera, no NFC, less cores, is slower clocked and less RAM. It certainly must be better than the iPhone, no?

It's the whole package that counts! Even an elderly iPhone 4 performs a good deal better than a S4 in many cases (General UI and games, which is what I most about). And even my lowly Lumia 820 performs a good deal better than any Android phone I've seen so far although it only has dual-core, less RAM, etc. plus I get 4 or 5 days of battery life out of it in typical use. For my usecase the iPhones are simply too expensive. I'm not interested in carrying around a couple of ridiculously expensive iPhones just to receive phone calls; the 820 didn't even cost half of the iPhone 5 which a lot more flash memory (thanks to SD cards) and worldwide offline navigation included; now if I only could put the saved cash into a Retina iPad mini for gaming...
  • Reply 50 of 68
    There are virtually no apps that aren't available on wp8 either as a first party app or as a high quality third party alternative (instagram and vine amongst them) The app argument is no longer valid since 48 of the top 50 downloaded apps on ios are already available. The only thing missing are more games and even those have been arriving reasonably well this year.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    Dude the galaxy S4 zoom has no chance agains the 1020 even in picture quality. Basically once the 1020 is available only an idiot would buy a galaxy S4 zoom.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    How can DED write that with a straight face?  The iPhone has always been about the most expensive phone to own since it was introduced.  I have never seen DED complain about an iPhone being too expensive for some people.

He just doesn't get it.  The 1020 has no competitors for those who want the best camera you can get in a phone.  The TV ads I have seen for the 925 are heavily playing up the low-light capabilities of the camera and enticing young people with the idea that the best part of the day is the night, showing it being used in low light situations and showing comparison photos taken under the same conditions by an iPhone.  It is a very effective commercial.  I imagine they will take a similar line with the 1020.

The poor consumer is so spoiled for choice these days.  Large screened Samsungs, the gorgeous HTC one, the smaller and smart iPhone 5, The Nokia 1020, the Samsung S4 Active that is waterproof and even has a camera mode to shoot videos and stills underwater.

Well, we cannot see DEDs face while he is writing his articles, but I'm somehow pretty sure it is twitching. A lot. ;)
  • Reply 53 of 68
    r4d4 wrote: »
    Here are a few examples: and just One of these are a deal breaker. My bank app. 

My bank app: no
    Starbucks app: no
    Any.do: no (yes there are note apps but I need them to sync with a Mac, not windows and I don't like evernote. 
    Fantastical: No (hate the calendar on WP8) and fantastical sync with the Mac app
    G+: no 
    Local TV station weather app: No 
    Google Music: No
    Fieldrunners 1 & 2: both No
    Shazam: No
    Geico App: No 
    Songpop: No 
    SayHi: No
    Google Drive: No
    Catch: No
    Google Voice: No
    OFFICIAL Facebook app; No, it's made my microsoft, even Facebook won't bother making an app for WP8. (the WP8 Facebook sucks compared to the iPhone FB app)

I could go on and on. But ALL of those are available on Android And Apple.  WP8 has the basic, call, text, calendar, alarm apps. I can get a $10 flip phone with those apps pre installed as well. 
    I can't see owning a phone that would ask me to give up apps i LIKE and use just to have a "different" platform. 
    I don't want to use some 3rd party "knock off" app to replace Name Brand apps. 

Take all of those apps. 3 of them would keep me from using WP8.  My bank app, My local live alert weather app, and my Geico app. (the geico app keeps me from having to print off insurance cards, I get digital ones that are always current and legal where I live.)
    And there are no apps that "do the same thing" for those apps. 
    Cant comment on most of those as Ive never heard of them but Shazam is definetely availiable, however its also pointless as windows phone has the same thing built in and its located under the dedicated search button. The same story going for tag readers, the dedicated search button just improves the usability by miles.

Im not a facebook user, but is there actually any difference with the apps? They look identical to the android and ios versions. Obviously windows phone is the only one that updates the lock screen but does the rest actually have anything different?

Also the comment about 3rd party knock offs is an interesting one. The fact that an app may be popular on an iphone and get a brand status doesnt mean the same thing would happen on Windows Phone. For example in the past Run Keeper which is massively popular for iphone did have a windows phone version, but it dropped so far diwn the charts they gave up. Its not that the app was massively different to the iphone version, people just prefered others on the platform. So whats a 3rd party knock off to an iphone user in many cases is the better app to a windows phone user.

Wndows Phone also has its list of apps thats others dnt have. Such as Nokia transit which has no comparable app that works as well or is even as feature complete.

This year the apps for Windows Phone also seem to have grown up a lot in design. In the same way that ios apps got to a point where they stopped using the default ui and started improving on it and making apps distinct. The same thing seems to be happening with windows phone apps.

Personally i think the app argument is dead. Theres an app for almost anything the average user want to do. Theres very little another os doesn that windows phone doesnt. And now the app store is even maturing froma desig sense windows phones makes a great choice for anyone getting a little board of there phone.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member

I think this story is a bit of an exaggeration.

The biggest issue with Windows Phone is app support.

The hardware is competitive from Nokia, but MSFT is doing a complete piss poor job with their mobile strategy. 

For example...the name...Windows Phone. It's a stupid freaking name. Calling it Tile Phone makes more sense. 

• Reply 55 of 68
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    There are virtually no apps that aren't available on wp8 either as a first party app or as a high quality third party alternative (instagram and vine amongst them) The app argument is no longer valid since 48 of the top 50 downloaded apps on ios are already available. The only thing missing are more games and even those have been arriving reasonably well this year.

timgriff84 wrote: »
    Cant comment on most of those as Ive never heard of them but Shazam is definetely availiable, however its also pointless as windows phone has the same thing built in and its located under the dedicated search button. The same story going for tag readers, the dedicated search button just improves the usability by miles.

Im not a facebook user, but is there actually any difference with the apps? They look identical to the android and ios versions. Obviously windows phone is the only one that updates the lock screen but does the rest actually have anything different?

Also the comment about 3rd party knock offs is an interesting one. The fact that an app may be popular on an iphone and get a brand status doesnt mean the same thing would happen on Windows Phone. For example in the past Run Keeper which is massively popular for iphone did have a windows phone version, but it dropped so far diwn the charts they gave up. Its not that the app was massively different to the iphone version, people just prefered others on the platform. So whats a 3rd party knock off to an iphone user in many cases is the better app to a windows phone user.

Wndows Phone also has its list of apps thats others dnt have. Such as Nokia transit which has no comparable app that works as well or is even as feature complete.

This year the apps for Windows Phone also seem to have grown up a lot in design. In the same way that ios apps got to a point where they stopped using the default ui and started improving on it and making apps distinct. The same thing seems to be happening with windows phone apps.

Personally i think the app argument is dead. Theres an app for almost anything the average user want to do. Theres very little another os doesn that windows phone doesnt. And now the app store is even maturing froma desig sense windows phones makes a great choice for anyone getting a little board of there phone.

HAHAHA

Oh, you were serious?
  • Reply 56 of 68
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

HAHAHA

Oh, you were serious?

Yes, he's serious. Only thing I can see wrong in his post is that the facebook on WP8 is not quite the same as on iPhone, but it still does what I need it to do. Obviously you haven't spent much time with a WP8 device....

• Reply 57 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Yes, he's serious. Only thing I can see wrong in his post is that the facebook on WP8 is not quite the same as on iPhone, but it still does what I need it to do. Obviously you haven't spent much time with a WP8 device....

Yes, I was very active on this site from 3-5 years ago... People tended to not use the products of companies besides Apple (that was my experience) or were EXTREMELY Apple biased.  So I left, I was sick of being stepped on for talking about things that OSX/iOS did badly/didn't support that Windoze/Android had.

seems better nowadays.

Note: I grew up primary using OSX on a G4 17" iMac.  I used Windoze 95 and 2000.  I got my first personal computer after Windows 7 launched, first windoze product I ever liked (and half of that was admiring the engineering on the thinkpad XD)

I personally don't get the App thing... If anything I personally called WP8 worse because of the number of tabs you can have.... but that changed (lol).

There are a lot of apps that are missing on WP8, but as someone else said, most of the popular ones are there.

As someone who had never touched an Android or Windows Phone device until about around 2 months ago (Nook HD+, then, two weeks ago, Lumia 920) I can say that the Android device was about what I expected, and that the WP8 device blew me away.

As someone who has used an ipod touch/iphone for over 3 years (mostly for reading, music, videos and games) I did not know where they were for 3 days after getting the Lumia.  And I did not care.  I have barely touched the iPhone.

/rant

Sorry for that.... Just really had to let it out.  People like that caused me to leave this site once, I hope they don't cause my to leave again.

-QAMF.

• Reply 58 of 68
    luxom3luxom3 Posts: 96member

QAMF

Dude, seriously +1.

It's just plain stupid to be so brand blinded that one ignores innovations going on around you. 

Apple NEEDS Nokia and Android to be successful - because competition breeds innovation.

None of these fanbabies remember when Apple was THE underdog. If you take the iPhone away, Apple was at best, just another computer company. And just based on past and existing computer numbers, Apple would be in trouble if their future was still stuck in personal computers.

I'm typing away on a MacPro and when I need room, grab my 23" Cinema display.

But last spring, I sold my iPhone 4 and got the Lumia 900. I *loved* the UI. The phone is fast and reliable and even my wife still comments "wow your phone is fast".

Nokia is covering the mobile spread nicely with their 800 series phone ($150 paid!), the 900 line (awesome photos/videos) $99 subsidized, and now the premium 1000 line (41MP camera?!), for $300 subsidized. If anyone noticed, the Nokia's just walked right up to Apple and are going toe-to-toe.

And talk to Lumia owners - you think Apple fans are rabid. Nokia people are diehards.

But does that mean I am anti-Apple? Hell no. As a shareholder and technologist, all my workstations have been Apple because I love their products. But I can't maintain my love for Apple if Apple isn't putting out stuff for me to fall in love with.

• Reply 59 of 68

thank you LuxoM3, and I am a diehard Nokia Lumia fan at this point.

notes: FWIW, WP8 > WP7.8, I don't know if you can upgrade, but if you can get on contract deal, or can afford $350~ on Amazon it is worth it imo.

I also want to point out when I ordered my Lumia (a little under a month ago) I was debating between iPhone 5 32GB (because I enjoy using Apple products, and my then 2 weeks of using nook HD+ already made me a bit leery of Android), and WP8 (because I had not heard a bad from close friends who used, and wanted to tried).

So, I was left deciding between $300 on 2 year contract, or $750 without a two year contract.  My Lumia was ~$350 unlocked, shipped.

I am forced into AT&T when I want a plan (I think, if T mobile supports, i'll go there, new stuff they introducing pretty damn cool, like 2x year upgrade) which could be a bummer, i'll see.

as a last note, WP8 has its problems, agreed.... However, I would say the issues are more to do with apps or things that Microsoft has already set up to 'solve' (like the lack of a notification center).

I hope that Apple introduces something great, either in 6-10 months if I go T-mobile, or within 2 years if I go AT&T.

Innovation is key.  If Nokia falls down Apple should try to buy the Camera part of Nokia at least, I feel that is Apple's weakest hardware element.

-QAMF

• Reply 60 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by QAMF View Post

Yes, I was very active on this site from 3-5 years ago... People tended to not use the products of companies besides Apple (that was my experience) or were EXTREMELY Apple biased.  So I left, I was sick of being stepped on for talking about things that OSX/iOS did badly/didn't support that Windoze/Android had.

It's an Apple fan site.  Given you stated you haven't used Android until 2 months ago I wonder how you could discuss what OSX/iOS did badly in comparison to Android 3-5 years ago.

Quote:

I personally don't get the App thing...

There are a lot of apps that are missing on WP8, but as someone else said, most of the popular ones are there.

The Lumia 928 and even the new Blackberry Z10 are nice devices with decent mobile operating systems (having tested both).  The problem is STILL their app ecosystems and the fact that they are years late to the party.  Either one would be huge winners in 2010 or even maybe 2011.  If the 808 had been a 920 + 808 camera module both Nokia and MS would be doing better.  Heck if the 920+808 camera replaced BOTH phones in the 2012 lineup both Nokia and MS would be doing better.  

The 1020 is the first WP with a clear edge in SOME niche over both Apple and Samsung phones (even IMHO the S4 Zoom but we'll have to see...the f2.2 lens and larger sensor in the Nokia + how well the 808 did leads me to believe better real world performance over the S4 Zoom).  Which is why it's a serious contender in this household over the iPhone 5S to replace an existing iPhone 4S.

For my wife apps are secondary but it's a key differentiator for many other folks.  That you don't get the app thing doesn't make it not important.