Apple's iPhone dumped by 'big three' Russian carriers over subsidies, marketing costs

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    denmaru wrote: »
    Dear Americans,

would you please for the love of (your) god learn some geography? Russia is NOT a part of Europe. I believe I already told AI about that mistake about a year before. It's Europe | Baltic and Balkan | Russia.3

Thank you,
    someone who actually lives in Europe.

Dear Concerned In Europe,

You'd think you'd know enough about your own continent to know that you're wrong.

Sincerely,
    U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

;)
    blitz1 wrote: »
    TS has spoken again, exposing his unflawed logic

Funny how I'm unquestionably correct here and that you're trying to claim otherwise. How pathetic.
  • Reply 62 of 87
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Funny how I'm unquestionably correct here and that you're trying to claim otherwise. How pathetic.

But of course you are right!
    The least number of distributors, the better.
    I'd say, dump them all. Apple will make a killing
  • Reply 63 of 87
    blitz1 wrote: »
    I'd say, dump them all. Apple will make a killing

Because there's no market whatsoever in the hidden, the taboo, and the illegal¡ :no:

Why, Prohibition actually lowered the drinking of alcohol¡! :rolleyes:

Took you long enough to come up with that ad-hom, by the way. Been waiting years for someone to be dumb enough to do that. :lol:
  • Reply 64 of 87
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member

Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

You know very much that's not what I implied. But I understand that's how people troll.

Could I have written my post better so that you can't find an easy opening? Perhaps. But I just think it's not particular intelligent to spend too much time dwelling on this. If you enjoyed a moment of satisfaction from being able to snark on my remark, then you can thank me later in private.

No, I didn't know that you implied something opposite of what you wrote.  That's why I phrased it as a question. 

• Reply 65 of 87

Originally Posted by Denmaru View Post

Quote:

Dear Americans,

would you please for the love of (your) god learn some geography? Russia is NOT a part of Europe. I believe I already told AI about that mistake about a year before. It's Europe | Baltic and Balkan | Russia.3

Thank you,

someone who actually lives in Europe.

And did you realize that the people living in Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, etc. are all "Americans"?

• Reply 66 of 87
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

A  lot of head in the sand going on.  These Russian carriers dropping the iPhone, A report that Verizon might be up for $12 Bn because of sales not meeting Apple's target.  Would Verizon continue to deal with Apple if that actually happened?  NTT in Japan won't carry the iPhone and China mobile has refused to carry it also.  All seemingly because Apple's contractual demands are too high-handed.

If these are all signs of a change in the wind, other carriers may start demanding better terms from Apple and their margins might begin to decline if they are forced to concede.

Quote:

More broadly, operator resentment of Apple's famously demanding contracts and high handed approach has been mounting for some time, to the extent that some major players, notably China Mobile, have refused to sell the iPhone. And if the iPhone continues to lose its magic, and cellcos can make a similar impact with other devices with lower subsidy and marketing costs, Apple will see more partners melting away.

• Reply 67 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Dear Concerned In Europe,

You'd think you'd know enough about your own continent to know that you're wrong.

Sincerely,

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Dear concerned US - get your own house in order:

Quote:

Young Americans Geographically Illiterate, Survey Suggests

John Roach

for National Geographic News

May 2, 2006

Young adults in the United States fail to understand the world and their place in it, according to a survey-based report on geographic literacy released today.

Take Iraq, for example. Despite nearly constant news coverage since the war there began in 2003, 63 percent of Americans aged 18 to 24 failed to correctly locate the country on a map of the Middle East. Seventy percent could not find Iran or Israel.

Nine in ten couldn't find Afghanistan on a map of Asia.

And 54 percent were unaware that Sudan is a country in Africa.

Remember the December 2004 tsunami and the widespread images of devastation in Indonesia?

Three-quarters of respondents failed to find that country on a map. And three-quarters were unaware that a majority of Indonesia's population is Muslim, making it the largest Muslim country in the world.

Survey results published in 2002 were also disappointing.

The 2002 project also surveyed 18- to 24-year-olds in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Sweden, and Great Britain. The U.S. trailed every other country in that survey, except Mexico, which did only slightly worse.

Half could not find New York State on a map of the United States.

A third of the respondents could not find Louisiana, and 48 percent couldn't locate Mississippi on a map of the United States, even though Hurricane Katrina put these southeastern states in the spotlight in 2005.

Many young Americans also lack basic map-reading skills.

Told they could escape an approaching hurricane by evacuating to the northwest, only two-thirds could indicate which way northwest is on a map.

• Reply 68 of 87

Quote:

Because there's no market whatsoever in the hidden, the taboo, and the illegal¡ image

Why, Prohibition actually lowered the drinking of alcohol¡! image

Took you long enough to come up with that ad-hom, by the way. Been waiting years for someone to be dumb enough to do that. image

What are you complaining about? Twice I confirmed your POV and that Apple should shut down all distributors.image

Let's make this a world wide event.image

Press release would head "we're shutting down our distribution channels to improve selling"image

There'd be some questions asked image, but the strategy would be obiousimage

Let's further make it the super exclusive product that sells by the kazillions. imageOops exclusive and selling by the kazillions.image

There must be some contradiction hereimage

Regarding your second sentence: I am a little concerned over you comparing 3 distributors shutting out Apple with prohibition.image

I'd call my local AA if I were you.image

• Reply 69 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

A  lot of head in the sand going on.  These Russian carriers dropping the iPhone, A report that Verizon might be up for $12 Bn because of sales not meeting Apple's target.  Would Verizon continue to deal with Apple if that actually happened?  NTT in Japan won't carry the iPhone and China mobile has refused to carry it also.  All seemingly because Apple's contractual demands are too high-handed.

If these are all signs of a change in the wind, other carriers may start demanding better terms from Apple and their margins might begin to decline if they are forced to concede.

According to TS, this is actually a good thing!

We're trying to have the least possible distributors to sell much much more iPhones than we already do.

• Reply 70 of 87
    And did you realize that the people living in Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, etc. are all "Americans"?

Don't start that crap again. You know that's not what he was talking about.
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Dear concerned US - get your own house in order: ;)

No European is geographically illiterate. :rolleyes: ;)
  • Reply 71 of 87

Quote:

No European is geographically illiterate. image image

Of course some are, but far fewer than are in the US.

Quote:

The 2002 project also surveyed 18- to 24-year-olds in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Sweden, and Great Britain. The U.S. trailed every other country in that survey, except Mexico

• Reply 72 of 87
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Of course some are, but far fewer than are in the US.

Eh, call me when you cover the rest of Europe. There might be a reason they didn't include the rest. :p
  • Reply 73 of 87
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

In

TS has spoken again, exposing his unflawed logic

Indeed, it is much easier to sell unsunsidized iPhones without distribution channel of interest than to sell subsidized iPhones through 3 distribution channels representing over 80% of the market.

Time to buy Aeroflot shares. They'll make a killing flying all the people to the nearest Apple store.

Well, there is another article on AI today about how Tim Cook wants to sell iPhones directly from Apple retail, which makes sense because presumably they get higher margins if they sell direct. If they could sell more phones directly to customers, they could afford to drop the prices maintain their current high margins. And anybody with an Internet connection should have access to http://store.apple.com/ru .

• Reply 74 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Well, there is another article on AI today about how Tim Cook wants to sell iPhones directly from Apple retail, which makes sense because presumably they get higher margins if they sell direct. If they could sell more phones directly to customers, they could afford to drop the prices maintain their current high margins. And anybody with an Internet connection should have access to http://store.apple.com/ru .

There are already 2 direct retail channelsimage

One is the Apple Store, the other the Apple Webshop.image

And as Apple will probably launch a worldwide carrier - funded in part by the better margin that they get -, they'll subsidize the iPhones themselves.image

Again: I totally agree with the idea that the fewer distributors, the better it is for Apple. Kill them. All of them. And let's start doing some serious businessimage

• Reply 75 of 87

Quote:

Don't start that crap again. You know that's not what he was talking about.

Mindreader. I'm in awe for your prowessimage

• Reply 76 of 87
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    poksi wrote: »
    For me it is insane that such low quality device as S4 is sold for the same price as iPhone 5.

I'm sure it costs almost the same to build either device. Aluminium is a very inexpensive metal, it's actually cheaper than some of the polycarb plastics used in cell phones.
  • Reply 77 of 87
    vitalyvitaly Posts: 1member

I'm a bit confused to read about Russian operators which complain on small subsidies.

Most of phones (including iPhone) are sold here in Russia without any subsidies . Buying a phone and buying a cell contract are orthogonal things.

I suppose people here just won't notice that iPhone isn't presented in MTS/Beeline/Megafone stories :)

At least three distribution channels are remain:

1)

My own iPhone was bought in the Svaznoy. They are official Apple partner and number of their shops is comparable with number of an operator offices...

2)

Recently opened Apple online store is great alternative. I hope my next iOs device will be from there just because Apple is able to start selling before anyone else

3) 'gray' market. These sellers import iPhones using their own (uncontrolled by Apple) ways and offer a bit cheaper iPhones (discount ~100$) without Apple's warranty. I'm not sure that they violates laws (at least I'm not a lawyer), but it is clear that they are headache for Apple at least because we cannot trust any statistics about number of sold iPhones in Russia due high popularity of this distribution channel.

• Reply 78 of 87
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Apple should buy one of the carriers if this becomes a longer term issue. Buy a carrier, ensure market distribution and direct access to cosumers

Ditto for China and India if they run into the same issues

Local government will not approve the purchase.  But Apple has deep pocket for the related officials...

• Reply 79 of 87
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Young Americans Geographically Illiterate, Survey Suggests

John Roach

for National Geographic News

May 2, 2006

Young adults in the United States fail to understand the world and their place in it, according to a survey-based report on geographic literacy released today.

Take Iraq, for example. Despite nearly constant news coverage since the war there began in 2003, 63 percent of Americans aged 18 to 24 failed to correctly locate the country on a map of the Middle East. Seventy percent could not find Iran or Israel.

Nine in ten couldn't find Afghanistan on a map of Asia.

And 54 percent were unaware that Sudan is a country in Africa.

Remember the December 2004 tsunami and the widespread images of devastation in Indonesia?

Three-quarters of respondents failed to find that country on a map. And three-quarters were unaware that a majority of Indonesia's population is Muslim, making it the largest Muslim country in the world.

Survey results published in 2002 were also disappointing.

The 2002 project also surveyed 18- to 24-year-olds in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Sweden, and Great Britain. The U.S. trailed every other country in that survey, except Mexico, which did only slightly worse.

Half could not find New York State on a map of the United States.

A third of the respondents could not find Louisiana, and 48 percent couldn't locate Mississippi on a map of the United States, even though Hurricane Katrina put these southeastern states in the spotlight in 2005.

Many young Americans also lack basic map-reading skills.

Told they could escape an approaching hurricane by evacuating to the northwest, only two-thirds could indicate which way northwest is on a map.

This stats was way back in 2006 without the iphone.  Now young adults are much smarter with iphones.  All the answers can be just a touch away.image
  • Reply 80 of 87
    af410af410 Posts: 5member
    It is possible that there is a simple explanation for the Russian telecoms acting nearly simultaneously. Perhaps their contracts had similar end dates. But another possibility is more interesting. It was recently revealed that the US government is unable to decrypt iMessages and Facetime chats. If the US can't break them, it is likely the Russian security services can't either. So one has to wonder if the Russian government decided to discourage cooperation with Apple. For in spite of Vladimir Putin's newfound friendship with Edward Snowden, he probably highly values his ability to snoop on his citizen's activities -- even more so than Barack Obama.