Patent reveals Apple's process for mass producing Liquidmetal alloy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Another advantage of LM not mentioned here yet - RF transparency! Which from what I understand is possible due to the metal's amorphous structure. If correct that means iPhone's, iPad's, Macs etc...would no longer need plastic or glass RF windows for wireless anymore. Imagine a future iPhone with a completely seamless all metal body!

• Reply 22 of 57
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    mikejones wrote: »
    Wrong movie, wrong Terminator and wrong Connor. 3 strikes! Yoooooooooooooooou're out!

Oh and it's John Connor not Connors.

Terminator 2, T-1000 (Liquid Metal, you know because of this threads topic) was sent to kill John Connor, not Sarah Connor, that was part 1. Saaaaafffffffeeeee
  • Reply 23 of 57
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

In this case, your HO is useless.

I've spent years manufacturing parts from metal. I know exactly what's important in a metal product and a stamped LM case would be every bit as valuable as an injection molded one. The process depends on the specifics of what you're trying to make. For an iPhone case, stamping is probably every bit as good as injection molding - and is far easier in many respects.

Y'know, if you had just left out that first sentence, that post would...

Never mind.

• Reply 24 of 57
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Yes, I wonder why Apple hasn't bought the company outright.

Would the present owners have to consent to a buyout? Maybe they don't want to let it go.

• Reply 25 of 57
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

That's not the 'whole point' of LM at all.

Liquid metal's advantages stem from the fact that it's amorphous rather than crystalline. That gives it a number of very useful advantages:

- Less brittle

- Less prone to work hardening

- More resilient

- Less corrosion

- Stronger (due to lack of stress concentration sites).

All of those advantages apply to stamped parts every bit as much as machined parts. In fact, some of them ONLY apply to stamped parts (such as the work hardening advantage).

Technically yeah, but you left out the fact that one of it's main features is the fact that it doesn't shrink when it cools, so forging processes are definitely favoured in almost all cases.  

Also, the stuff is so hard, that to make a sheet or block of it and then mill out the shape as they currently do with aluminium would be a kind of dumbass and much more expensive thing to do.  They would need harder bits, and the bits wouldn't last as long.  I don't think you'll ever see them making blocks of it and milling it like aluminium.  

• Reply 26 of 57
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Hmmm, Apple <---- Liquid Metal ------> Swatch (Omega).

Will we see an Apple Omega cobranded iWatch?

Omega has already been using liquid metal in some of their Seamaster range of watches.

• Reply 27 of 57
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

Quote:

Yes, I wonder why Apple hasn't bought the company outright.

I'm guessing here but it may be because the technology still needed a lot of R&D.   If Apple bought the company then it may have been too focused on developing for their own use which may only be a tiny fraction of the larger market for LM.  Apple would be faced with going into another business that's totally outside of its core, or remaining a smaller and more focused company that has exclusive use of the technology in the businesses it has.  Meanwhile additional opportunities for other industries can fund R&D of LM overall.

• Reply 28 of 57
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Terminator 2, T-1000 (Liquid Metal, you know because of this threads topic) was sent to kill John Connor, not Sarah Connor, that was part 1. Saaaaafffffffeeeee

I was disappointed that he never referenced his movies when he ran for governor. It would have been funny if he said "vote for me if you want to live" or "get to the polls".

• Reply 29 of 57
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    1983 wrote: »
    Another advantage of LM not mentioned here yet - RF transparency! Which from what I understand is possible due to the metal's amorphous structure. If correct that means iPhone's, iPad's, Macs etc...would no longer need plastic or glass RF windows for wireless anymore. Imagine a future iPhone with a completely seamless all metal body!

That hasn't been publicly verified. There are some comments in the tech press that imply that there's radio transparency, but I haven't seen any official comments supporting that claim. Frankly, I doubt it.
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Technically yeah, but you left out the fact that one of it's main features is the fact that it doesn't shrink when it cools, so forging processes are definitely favoured in almost all cases.  

The choice of casting vs drawing vs stamping vs machining depends on a very large number of factors. The biggest one affecting the choice of process is the shape of the part. If a given shape is more suitable for drawing, then drawing should be used - even if low shrinkage rates are of no benefit there.

Consider, for example, the iPod classic back. It's a thin sheet of material with deep draw sides. That shape would not be particularly suitable for injection molding - whether the material shrinks or not. OTOH, consider the antennas that form the sides of the iPhone 4/5. Those shapes would work well with injection molding.

Any large, flat piece (like the back of an iPad) would make more sense for drawing or stamping.
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Also, the stuff is so hard, that to make a sheet or block of it and then mill out the shape as they currently do with aluminium would be a kind of dumbass and much more expensive thing to do.  They would need harder bits, and the bits wouldn't last as long.  I don't think you'll ever see them making blocks of it and milling it like aluminium.  

Maybe, maybe not. While it's harder than a crystalline Ti/Al alloy, that doesn't preclude machining. Existing bits are still much, much harder than even Liquidmetal materials. However, as stated above, i don't think you'll see it, either - but for different reasons.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    IGZO. Because no thread is complete without mentioning IGZO.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    IGZO. Because no thread is complete without mentioning IGZO.

Should have asked for "IGZO" as your user title. :p
  • Reply 32 of 57
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Duplicate post
  • Reply 33 of 57
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    1983 wrote: »

RF transmission and antennas in particular are a strange beast. How well such a material would allow RF to pass through is probably dependent on many variables. It would be very nice though to be able to seal up an iPad completely to the point of being water resistant.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Remember the MacBook Pro Liquid Metal rumors a while back? I sure do.

When the Mac Pro was shown in the darker (liquid metal) color, I was wishfully thinking that those rumors might finally come to fruition.

Flat / thin sheets sounds like the perfect form factor for exterior/casing on a MBP.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    shogun wrote: »
    What I have yet to hear is of what use a thin sheet of lqmt will be to apple... I thought the point was the metal can be injection molded into complex shapes. So what do you do with a sheet of it?

Bend it, draw it, press it, crimp it. Sheet metal can be a very productive way to do mass production especially for things like the iPad which is really a silly device to CNC machine an enclosure for. Now the question we need to ask would the sheet metal be amendable to such forming - a question I can't answer honestly.

If you have never been in a manufacturing plant with high speed progressive dies it is shocking just how fast these machines can stamp out parts. in the time it takes Apple to machine one iPad back, a good press could stamp out a hundred or more backs. The new backs would require different assembly techniques but that would have happened anyways.

The only real question is how much trouble they would have maintaining appearance with a stamping process.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

"Apple currently has an exclusive agreement with Liquidmetal through early 2014"

"The agreement gives Apple "a perpetual, worldwide, fully-paid, exclusive license to commercial such intellectual property in the field of electronic products in exchange for a license fee.""

Is it 2014 or perpetual?

• Reply 37 of 57
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    hmm wrote: »

I was disappointed that he never referenced his movies when he ran for governor. It would have been funny if he said "vote for me if you want to live" or "get to the polls".

Note he also hasn't (yet) said, "I'll be back." Has his wife?
  • Reply 38 of 57
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Another advantage of LM not mentioned here yet - RF transparency! 

No, it's not radio transparent.  

The internet myth that it was, got started back in 2010 when one of the LM engineers commented that perhaps Apple could QUOTE "blend an alloy that was optimized for receiving signals." UNQUOTE ... and use it as the antenna.

A lot of people apparently misunderstood the statement, and thought he meant it was RF transparent, when actually he was stating quite the opposite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

"Apple currently has an exclusive agreement with Liquidmetal through early 2014"

"The agreement gives Apple "a perpetual, worldwide, fully-paid, exclusive license to commercial such intellectual property in the field of electronic products in exchange for a license fee.""

Is it 2014 or perpetual?

• It is a perpetual exclusive on

• using LiquidMetal corporation IP created through 2014

• in a consumer electronic item.

In other words, only Apple can ever make a CE device using what LM invents through 2014.

Inventions coming after 2014 will be available to anyone (assuming they don't rely on previous IP, presumably).  However, Apple has already paid to extend the IP time limit once, so they might do it again.

• Reply 39 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

You're right.  It was a bad edit.  I originally had intended it to say, "It's one of the whole points of LM", but had to leave to pick up my daughter before I could finish.

(In a previous post today on MacRumors, I did talk about the other attributes of LM, such as resistance to corrosion, scratches, and bending.   Those are the reasons why Samsung used it since 2002 for phone parts, and even made an entire phone chassis out of LiquidMetal years before Apple bought up the rights.)

However, most people believe that for Apple, the main attraction is the injection molding, so that unusual shapes can be made (ones that stamping cannot do in one piece).

Are you saying that injection molding is NOT a major feature of LM?

...And all this time I thought the major feature was to have the phone bounce back up into your hand if you dropped it.

• Reply 40 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    ...And all this time I thought the major feature was to have the phone bounce back up into your hand if you dropped it.

Exactly! I wonder if this means Apple will bring back the 'bounce' option in Mail? ;)