Chrome for iOS update adds support for opening links in other Google apps

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google on Wednesday updated its Chrome browser for iPhone and iPad, giving users the ability to open links by default in the company's other native apps, such as Gmail, Google Maps, and YouTube.

Chrome

Version 28.0.1500.12 of Chrome for iOS offers greater interoperability with other Google Apps, including the option to open links in the company's Google+ and Google Drive apps, instead of within the browser.

Beyond opening links in their respective apps, the latest version of Chrome also includes enhancements to voice search. The update adds text-to-speech for all variations of English, Spanish, German, Italian, French, Japanese and Korean.

In addition, Google has said the update will provide users with "data cost savings" when using the browser on a cellular data connection. Users can view data savings in the "Bandwidth Management" settings, though this functionality is not yet available to all users and will continue to gradually roll out.

The newest version of the browser also offers a new fullscreen mode for iPad users, and toolbar controls that are always available when using the voice search.

Finally, Chrome 28 also gives users access to browser history, and includes the usual stability and security improvements and bug fixes.

The application is a free 22.2-megabyte download rated for ages 17 and up. It is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, and requires iOS 5.0 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Expect this to get blocked in some way.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    genovelle wrote: »
    Expect this to get blocked in some way.

Well I think Apple isn't bad company, they know that Chrome on ioS is a minority and they just don't care in my opinion.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    This is a test!
  • Reply 4 of 51
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ...fine print: you must include your SSN in your profile.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Bandwidth Management - roflmao

Here you can manage how many ads you get spammed with.
    Two settings
    1) Heaps
    2) Slighltly less
  • Reply 6 of 51
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Chrome 28. Lol.

• Reply 7 of 51
    n0cud06n0cud06 Posts: 1member
    I really really really hate this. I don't understand why google would sacrifice user experience in favor of forcing user to use their own apps, it's like they want users living inside their own world. Anyway this is the reason I stopped using google maps and settled for apple maps.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

rated for ages 17 and up. 

I can only speculate why....

Perhaps it is using movie rating system... M for mature.

• Reply 9 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by n0cud06 View Post

I stopped using google maps and settled for apple maps.

I don't like to settle. I prefer to select.

• Reply 10 of 51
    mstone wrote: »
    I can only speculate why....

Perhaps it is using movie rating system... M for mature.

Because you can search for adult materials.
  • Reply 11 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Because you can search for adult materials.

Isn't that what parental controls are for? Or doesn't Chrome have parental controls?

• Reply 12 of 51
    mstone wrote: »
    Isn't that what parental controls are for?

Yes but how many people share idevices with their kids and how many actually use those controls.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    n0cud06 wrote: »
    I really really really hate this. I don't understand why google would sacrifice user experience in favor of forcing user to use their own apps, it's like they want users living inside their own world.

Exactly - it shows how much Google really needs iOS users.
    They want to try and create a sub-system operating on iOS.
    Good luck with that ... fail
  • Reply 14 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Yes but how many people share idevices with their kids and how many actually use those controls.

It looks like a parental control issue though, otherwise Safari would not be suitable for underage users either. In the restriction settings it appears that only Apple core apps are included, one of which is Safari. So Apple has parental controls but they are apparently not extending that feature to third party apps. google search has parental controls which you administer on the Google website but that just protects searching.

• Reply 15 of 51
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    n0cud06 wrote: »
    I really really really hate this. I don't understand why google would sacrifice user experience in favor of forcing user to use their own apps, it's like they want users living inside their own world. Anyway this is the reason I stopped using google maps and settled for apple maps.

Ummm isn't that what Apple does?
  • Reply 16 of 51
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Ummm isn't that what Apple does?

No...? Last time I checked I wasn't forced to use any Apple app.

• Reply 17 of 51
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mikejones wrote: »

Sure you do, Apple doesn't allow replacement of native apps, they're just skinned to look different.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Sure you do, Apple doesn't allow replacement of native apps, they're just skinned to look different.

But by using iOS you're intentionally going into Apple's world. Google is trying to create their own world inside Apple's world.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    mikejones wrote: »

Um.... This is an optional setting that can be turned off within the app. Even better, this app is an optional download that can be completely ignored!
  • Reply 20 of 51
    The thing is that if Apple did lock it down and force users into using Apple only apps there would be anti competitive cases flying left right and centre. :D
    Google would be first in line.