Apple details in-display fingerprint sensor tech in patent filing from AuthenTec cofounder

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

When they filed the technology, that means they probably have it all finished with a working prototype. I think all the software and testing and prototyping has been done prior to the filing.

They bought AuthenTec less than 6 months before they filed it.  Insanely small odds iOS was optimized and a prototype was created by then.

It took Siri a year and a half to get on iOS- and it was software only (not software and hardware)- and it was already developed for iOS.  Let's tamper our expectations for when this is going to come to fruition.

• Reply 22 of 27
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Command_F View Post

If the button includes a fingerprint sensor so the system knows the owner's finger is on the button, there's no need for the swipe at all.

Some things to think about...

The sensors used in mobile devices are affordable because they consist of only one (or a few) sensor lines that you swipe over.

A sensor with enough lines to handle an entire finger at once, would be much more costly.  

Of course, it also requires a larger sensor pad.  I believe the smallest Authentec full-finger sensor is about 11 mm wide x 14 mm tall.

What's the current Home button diameter?  10 mm ?

• Reply 23 of 27
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

It just makes sense that when you swipe across the screen to unlock that it would read your fingerprint as the security code. "It just works".

Exactly.  Hopefully the same swipe move as before.  And yes, that swipe-to-unlock technique is patented.

But your iPhone could be set to auto-lock instantly while being more convenient than ever.

And more secure than ever.

I always thought it would be very tricky to use the home button as a fingerprint sensor.

It's currently too small, so it would need to be made larger.  It would also be awkward to swipe,

being right at the bottom edge of the phone.  Tough to do one-handed.

And the home button needs to be very thin, being on top of the Lightning connector.

Not sure it would be possible to put a sensor into such a small space.

Uncomfortable, poorly placed, and technically extremely challenging to do.  

On-screen is also hard, but it's far better from the end-user perspective.

There would be nothing new to learn.  The passcode entry step would be gone forever.

Hoping this is the actual technical solution Apple has chosen.

• Reply 24 of 27
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

they can remove the physical home button, and maybe replace it with a touch sensitive icon at the same location.

Accidental activation of controls was a problem with the earlier iPods that had the touch sensitive buttons and touch sensitive scroll wheel.

• Reply 25 of 27
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    andysol wrote: »
    I agree. Also, with the fast of recognition, mobile payments will be a breeze- faster than opening your wallet.

However, this being filed in 2013 and just recently invented, I'm guessing it'll show up in next years version. That's a lot of software, manufacturing, and testing to do in such a short time. Something google would do- release a new yet imperfect product, but not Apple.

Really, really hope I'm wrong though.

A patents filing date has little to do with a product being ready for manufacturing. In the case of Apple they often delay filing to prevent early release if upcoming product info. Further Apple has made plenty of filings that have never resulted in a timely product.

So while we might hope, this really indicates nothing about the coming iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

Can't wait for the day when I no longer have to remember passwords.

• Reply 27 of 27
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

A patents filing date has little to do with a product being ready for manufacturing. In the case of Apple they often delay filing to prevent early release if upcoming product info. Further Apple has made plenty of filings that have never resulted in a timely product.

So while we might hope, this really indicates nothing about the coming iPhone.

Huh?  That's what I've been saying- others are mentioning that we might see it on the next iPhone and I'm saying there is no way.  Not because of the filing, but due to when the technology was invented and when Apple purchased AuthenTec.