Time Warner working to deliver live & on-demand shows to Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ... It's not worth it.
    ISP ? telecom.

Also, uh... are you under the impression that the telecoms who ARE ISPs are... NOT being paid for access to the Internet or something?

Many telecoms are indeed ISPs. Do you really think that the amount they make for internet access will make up for the loss of TV revenue?
  • Reply 62 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Many telecoms are indeed ISPs. Do you really think that the amount they make for internet access will make up for the loss of TV revenue?

I really don't think they have a choice if Apple decides to negotiate directly with content creators.
  • Reply 63 of 83
    I really don't think they have a choice if Apple decides to negotiate directly with content creators.

There's always a choice. They could introduce data caps which Comcast already has done and/or increase the rates they charge to make up for the revenue loss. They also have shareholders that they answer to. I would welcome a change on how things are done but change will come gradually instead of all at once. Right now there isn't enough incentive for the content creators to do things Apple's way.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    They could introduce data caps...

Good luck, because...
    They also have shareholders that they answer to.

Try explaining away "we're too lazy to do anything about our network".
    Right now there isn't enough incentive for the content creators to do things Apple's way.

Everyone needs to go out and pirate more TV, then. :p
  • Reply 65 of 83
    Good luck, because...
    Try explaining away "we're too lazy to do anything about our network".
    Everyone needs to go out and pirate more TV, then. :p

Good luck because what? Comcast has already done it. They could easily cap internet only customers and provide unlimited data to TV subscribers.

They're all doing something about the network, Verizon with FiOS and AT&T with U-verse, the stockholders are going to want to see a good return on that capital expenditure.
    Unfortunately there's no Napster for TV shows.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    They could easily cap internet only customers and provide unlimited data to TV subscribers.

Easily? Maybe. Legally? No.
    They're all doing something about the network...

Funny how my available speeds and prices haven't changed in the last decade, huh. :no:
    ...Verizon with FiOS...

Could have sworn they stopped rolling that out.

The only way any of the existing ISPs is going to be forced to lay more fiber is through a government mandate (wrong way to go) or via Google expanding their network and lowering their prices (also wrong, since Google).
    Unfortunately there's no Napster for TV shows.

There is, however, every single other torrent website out there.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    Easily? Maybe. Legally? No.
    Funny how my available speeds and prices haven't changed in the last decade, huh. :no:
    Could have sworn they stopped rolling that out.

The only way any of the existing ISPs is going to be forced to lay more fiber is through a government mandate (wrong way to go) or via Google expanding their network and lowering their prices (also wrong, since Google).
    There is, however, every single other torrent website out there.

Move out of the boonies. Yes the FiOS rollout has stopped for now, but as the need for faster internet increases I can see it starting back up. The telecoms have always been regulated by the government so a mandate wouldn't be out of the norm.

How safe are those torrent sites? I know that the Napster software was made so it would only access the shared folder of the users.
  • Reply 68 of 83
    ...as the need for faster internet increases I can see it starting back up.

The need has been increasing all the years it has been stopped. There's no suitable explanation for why fiber isn't being laid 24/7.
    How safe are those torrent sites? I know that the Napster software was made so it would only access the shared folder of the users.

Define safe. :p
  • Reply 69 of 83
    The need has been increasing all the years it has been stopped. There's no suitable explanation for why fiber isn't being laid 24/7.
    Define safe. :p

Because laying down fiber is expensive and the telcos no longer enjoy a monopoly that would ensure a return on their investment. Safe is virus free and if you're sharing that only your shared folder gets accessed.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    Because laying down fiber is expensive

So are our monthly plans; they're hoarding it somewhere.
    ...and the telcos no longer enjoy a monopoly that would ensure a return on their investment.

... You're sure? Better write a letter to my local telecoms telling them that they don't have a monopoly anymore so they better stop carving up my city and refusing to offer service across a street.
    Safe is virus free and if you're sharing that only your shared folder gets accessed.

Oh, I'd imagine so. Pirates tend to be all up on security.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    So are our monthly plans; they're hoarding it somewhere.
    ... You're sure? Better write a letter to my local telecoms telling them that they don't have a monopoly anymore so they better stop carving up my city and refusing to offer service across a street.
    Oh, I'd imagine so. Pirates tend to be all up on security.

Can't you get internet/phone from your local cable company? If yes then there's no monopoly.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    Can't you get internet/phone from your local cable company? If yes then there's no monopoly.

Nope, where I live there is one ISP. On the other side of the city, there is one ISP, not the same.

The two cable companies are the same way.

And the two power companies. In bad storms, only half the city goes dark.
  • Reply 73 of 83
    Nope, where I live there is one ISP. On the other side of the city, there is one ISP, not the same.

Wow that's blows. Unfortunately in small cites or rural towns there aren't enough customers to justify building a modern network. It would literally take decades to recover the cost of building it.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Same where I'm at, and just outside a major metropolitan city. There's on cable company on one side, and another on the other side. Calling the "wrong" on for service, they said they'd transfer me to the "department" that could help me... next thing I'm on the phone with the other cable company.

They're all one big colluding syndicate.
  • Reply 75 of 83
    pjd813pjd813 Posts: 8member
    I stand by my statement that the pipes that carry this stuff through the neighborhood will not handle the extra bandwidth from large scale TV streaming without some form of technical wizardry. It will probably be a next gen form of compression that will compromise quality still further. The last decade and a half with audio has proven that the consumers quest is for having larger QUANTITIES of product in ever smaller storage devices and for faster streaming with total disregard for quality. Hence $400 headphones for mp3 listening.
  • Reply 76 of 83
    pjd813 wrote: »
    I stand by my statement that the pipes that carry this stuff through the neighborhood will not handle the extra bandwidth from large scale TV streaming without some form of technical wizardry.

I stand by my statement that this isn't how the Internet works and that they'll handle it just fine given that a large portion of the population already streams HD video to their houses every single night.
    It will probably be a next gen form of compression that will compromise quality still further.

... You'd prefer a 1080p movie to be a terabyte, would you? Quality isn't compromised in the same way as audio.
  • Reply 77 of 83
    Define a large portion of the population.

Also, the point at which degradation becomes unacceptable is totally subjective.
  • Reply 78 of 83
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quality isn't compromised in the same way as audio.

You don't think so? Take a look at a sunset in any iTunes/Netflix movie. Those bands of color are among the most annoying artefacts ever, audio or video.

Compressed video is about a thousand percent better than it was a decade ago, but it ain't "there" yet.

• Reply 79 of 83
    pjd813 wrote: »
    Define a large portion of the population.

Go look up streaming video stats. Netflix, Hulu, iTunes, and the like.
    Also, the point at which degradation becomes unacceptable is totally subjective.

The majority is always sane.
    v5v wrote: »
    Compressed video is about a thousand percent better than it was a decade ago, but it ain't "there" yet.

That's why iTunes 12 better darn well have H.265 support. Apple used to be the one spearheading new technologies…
  • Reply 80 of 83
    The majority is always sane?

That says a lot right there.