Apple, Samsung try again to settle patent disputes, but aren't close to a deal

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I was talking about patents because if there is no IP protection on an implementation, then it doesn't matter where it came from.

Also, we have no proof either way if Apple has a licensing agreement for that search bar patent, or if their implementation is sufficiently different.

And Apple patents bullshit things that should never have been granted a patent in the first place.  The rest of the companies just innovate and build on everything else.  I know people here seem to think that Apple innovates everything and everyone copies.  But that's simply not the case.  I remember reading an interview of Gosling who talked about how Sun never bothered with patents and focused on engineering and making the best products they could (like HTC).  IBM almost sued them out of existence in the late 80s.  After that, they started patenting everything.  They didn't want to do it.  It was not in their DNA, but they had to do it to protect themselves.  Google has similar DNA as Sun.  In fact, I never understood why they didn't buy Sun and sell off the hardware division if they needed to.  They were a much better fit for Sun (and Java) then Oracle.

• Reply 22 of 23
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

And Apple patents bullshit things that should never have been granted a patent in the first place.  The rest of the companies just innovate and build on everything else.  I know people here seem to think that Apple innovates everything and everyone copies.  But that's simply not the case.

So you think it's just the opposite?

Apple copies everyone else's innovations?

• Reply 23 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="os2baba" url="/t/158572/apple-samsung-try-again-to-settle-patent-disputes-but-arent-close-to-a-deal#post_2365023"]
    And Apple patents bullshit things that should never have been granted a patent in the first place.  The rest of the companies just innovate and build on everything else.[/QUOTE]

Keep talking and stay here.

Wait, we're playing "opposite day", right?

[QUOTE]It was not in their DNA, but they had to do it to protect themselves. Google has similar DNA as Sun.[/QUOTE]

You don't know what DNA means in this context. Please don't think you do.