Researcher admits to hacking Apple's developer site, says he meant no 'harm or damage'

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 125
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodGrief View Post

So now, whose fault do you think it is that your guest can't get their things? Yours for reacting in a responsible manner to an intrusion, or the neighbors who unlawfully entered your house and took things without your permission or knowledge?

I'll say it again, blaming a victim for the results of the actions of a perpetrator's wrongdoing against them is unequivocally absurd.

I'm not actually blaming either for the downtime, I don't think the hacker/security researcher did anything particularly wrong, and Apple's response has been proportional and shows good diligence.

However, the situation would not have arisen if there weren't security issues with the Apple service.  That's Apple's fault, definitely.

Since you've taken the analogy (which wasn't really an analogy so much as a choice of phrasing) to such lengths I'll add that if you had were the owner of the house and I left my property in your house, then I damn well expect you to keep the windows and doors locked.  

• Reply 122 of 125
    goodgriefgoodgrief Posts: 137member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Analogies are not needed.  The situation is simple.

Apple promised to keep their customers' information secure.  That inherently includes protecting info on their servers from unauthorized access of any kind, whether good or bad intentioned.

Apple, like other companies before it, failed to do what they promised.

The real victims are their customers.

I agree that Apple (like other companies in comparable positions) has a responsibility to keep to their promise here. However, that promise (and a small army of corporate lawyers make sure the semantics of their offer and terms are explicit on this point) is to take all reasonable measures to prevent unauthorized access. The nature of the beast (if you'll pardon the colloquialism) makes guaranteeing this in absolute terms impossible in practice. One can only make assurances of a 'best effort'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I'm not actually blaming either for the downtime, I don't think the hacker/security researcher did anything particularly wrong, and Apple's response has been proportional and shows good diligence.

However, the situation would not have arisen if there weren't security issues with the Apple service.  That's Apple's fault, definitely.

Since you've taken the analogy (which wasn't really an analogy so much as a choice of phrasing) to such lengths I'll add that if you had were the owner of the house and I left my property in your house, then I damn well expect you to keep the windows and doors locked.  

That smacks somewhat of backpedalling to me, as your assertion that "Apple are responsible for developers and their own loss of money and time." sounds like an assignment of blame to me. 

I must also disagree with the assertion that this person did nothing wrong. He knowingly violated a system he had no authorization to. He misappropriated data he had no right to. To further add to his list of transgressions, he publicized some of that misbegotten data with the full knowledge that the data was intended for private use only (and certainly not for his use in any way). He, by definition, did wrong. And this is what I take exception to in this case; this person made the unilateral decision that could (and did) ultimately affect hundreds of thousands of developers (myself included), without permission from any of them. He decided what was best for everyone else - and that wasn't his right. He satisfied his own need to probe the system, for his own agenda, and he did it irresponsibly and across public networks (unless someone can show he had a private hardline from Turkey to Apple's servers), which exposes the data he shouldn't have had in the first place to further potential compromise. His claimed intent - good, bad or otherwise is irrelevant. The ends do not necessarily justify the means. As the old saying goes: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

Your choice of phrasing "Apple's response has been proportional and shows good diligence" is important here too. Because this was an unauthorized intrusion of unknown dimensions (as opposed to a controlled penetration test done with Apple's knowledge beforehand). The response, by necessity, had to assume the worst-case breach, where it might not have needed to otherwise.

I've seen no evidence yet that Apple was negligent in their responsibility to take <reasonable> measures to safeguard the data in their stewardship. If anyone can produce that evidence, then I'll absolutely concede the point, and agree that Apple shares the fault for results. That said, it negates none of the responsibility this other party has for his actions.

I may be verbose, but I'm not clear on what 'lengths' I've taken your analogy to, other than to attempt to make the comparison more accurate in it's representation of the topic at hand. If I've misrepresented or appear to have misunderstood something you've asserted, then I'm always open to edification. So, dipping one last time into the analogy well - (to my knowledge) the lock was not unlocked as a result of the negligence or failure to act on Apple's part, but rather as a result of the supposedly secure mechanism itself failing (think: rusted and broken tumblers).

• Reply 123 of 125
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodGrief View Post

That smacks somewhat of backpedalling to me, as your assertion that "Apple are responsible for developers and their own loss of money and time." sounds like an assignment of blame to me. 

It was meant more as a removal of blame from the hacker/researcher.  He didn't take the system down, the discovery of a security vulnerability did.  Apple were responsible for the security vulnerability.  I don't think that equates to blaming Apple for the system being down either, while security vulnerabilities are never welcome they are a fact of life, and it is good that Apple is taking it seriously and beefing up their system.  So Apple can be criticised for there being a security vulnerability in the first place, but can be commended for their response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodGrief View Post

I must also disagree with the assertion that this person did nothing wrong. He knowingly violated a system he had no authorization to. He misappropriated data he had no right to. To further add to his list of transgressions, he publicized some of that misbegotten data with the full knowledge that the data was intended for private use only (and certainly not for his use in any way). He, by definition, did wrong. And this is what I take exception to in this case; this person made the unilateral decision that could (and did) ultimately affect hundreds of thousands of developers (myself included), without permission from any of them. He decided what was best for everyone else - and that wasn't his right. He satisfied his own need to probe the system, for his own agenda, and he did it irresponsibly and across public networks (unless someone can show he had a private hardline from Turkey to Apple's servers), which exposes the data he shouldn't have had in the first place to further potential compromise. His claimed intent - good, bad or otherwise is irrelevant. The ends do not necessarily justify the means. As the old saying goes: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

What are the ends, a week or so without a developer resource?  Is that really going to affect anyone so terribly?  I don't mean to trivialise it, I'm sure some people are feeling very put out right now, and stress levels may be rising, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not much of an issue.  If he hadn't done this then maybe that security vulnerability would be exploited by someone with malicious intent, someone who might have gone "deeper" and got much more damaging data.  I think the end definitely justify the means, and we're a long way from hell.

Quote:

Your choice of phrasing "Apple's response has been proportional and shows good diligence" is important here too. Because this was an unauthorized intrusion of unknown dimensions (as opposed to a controlled penetration test done with Apple's knowledge beforehand). The response, by necessity, had to assume the worst-case breach, where it might not have needed to otherwise.

Apple history in this regard isn't great, they've been criticised for sitting on security vulnerabilities for months without making any moves towards a fix.  I believe I read that this issue was reported using the proper channels to no result.  So the response in your alternative scenario could have been the feared worse-case breach, which would have caused a much greater paralysation of the services.  Conjecture I know, but you're doing the same.

Quote:

I've seen no evidence yet that Apple was negligent in their responsibility to take <reasonable> measures to safeguard the data in their stewardship. If anyone can produce that evidence, then I'll absolutely concede the point, and agree that Apple shares the fault for results. That said, it negates none of the responsibility this other party has for his actions.

I don't think anyone expects Apple to be able to withstand prolonged military-grade cyber attacks.  A hacker though?  Operating alone?  That suggests they weren't up to scratch.

Quote:

I may be verbose, but I'm not clear on what 'lengths' I've taken your analogy to, other than to attempt to make the comparison more accurate in it's representation of the topic at hand. If I've misrepresented or appear to have misunderstood something you've asserted, then I'm always open to edification. So, dipping one last time into the analogy well - (to my knowledge) the lock was not unlocked as a result of the negligence or failure to act on Apple's part, but rather as a result of the supposedly secure mechanism itself failing (think: rusted and broken tumblers).

I didn't make an analogy, I used a metaphor.  There's a difference.  You extrapolated that into a tortured analogy, that's the lengths.  No "accuracy" was ever intended or implied, it was just a metaphor, like when I say that clouds are like soldiers marching to war - point out the differences between clouds and soldiers as much as you want, but you're wasting your time because I don't actually think clouds are literally like soldiers marching to war.

I'd rather drop the painful linguistic exercises and focus on the facts.

• Reply 124 of 125
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

I think we all agree that the entire situation was mishandled, from the way the developer did things, to Apple apparently being behind on security updates, but that the final outcome should be a stronger, better website.

Plus... I bet that somewhere in Apple there is a person who had warned his bosses for a long time about security, and finally got to say, "I told you so" and get his fifteen minutes of fame.

I do have to add, that it's amazing how hard it is to not to resort to analogies.  We all felt the pull to do so, yet analogies always miss.  (Especially car analogies.  There needs to be the equivalent of a Godwin's Law about those. lol)

• Reply 125 of 125
    goodgriefgoodgrief Posts: 137member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

It was meant more as a removal of blame from the hacker/researcher.  He didn't take the system down, the discovery of a security vulnerability did.  Apple were responsible for the security vulnerability.  I don't think that equates to blaming Apple for the system being down either, while security vulnerabilities are never welcome they are a fact of life, and it is good that Apple is taking it seriously and beefing up their system.  So Apple can be criticised for there being a security vulnerability in the first place, but can be commended for their response.

I understand now. Your previous statements did not accurately convey your intent. That being the case, I withdraw my first statement and acknowledge your premise. However, this individual still bears a significant responsibility here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

What are the ends, a week or so without a developer resource?  Is that really going to affect anyone so terribly?  I don't mean to trivialise it, I'm sure some people are feeling very put out right now, and stress levels may be rising, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not much of an issue.  If he hadn't done this then maybe that security vulnerability would be exploited by someone with malicious intent, someone who might have gone "deeper" and got much more damaging data.  I think the end definitely justify the means, and we're a long way from hell.

It is, unfortunately, more than a trivial inconvenience. It has already made a significant impact for some. A week of lost productivity is a week of lost income. From my own first-hand experience; the app development companies I work with typically schedule development and business activities in two week "sprints", for project lengths of two to four months. Product scheduling can be planned six months or more in advance. So a delay of one week (and still counting as of this morning) is a significant setback for a sprint, and consequently a significant delay on a development schedule. While creative can often be generated in advance, things like QA are necessarily bound by development activities. Marketing, more often than not, may need to commit resources to release dates far in advance of development even beginning. So, beyond a certain threshold, a delayed project either 1) pushes back all subsequent projects that resource is committed to (and effects the business decisions related to <all> of those products), or 2) delays the affected project until after all the other pre-existing commitments have been satisfied, which easily may be one to two fiscal quarters, or even indefinitely. In many cases, that alone is enough for a business decision to kill a project. I've known contractors to lose their work for delays of this magnitude.

Quote:

Apple history in this regard isn't great, they've been criticised for sitting on security vulnerabilities for months without making any moves towards a fix.  I believe I read that this issue was reported using the proper channels to no result.  So the response in your alternative scenario could have been the feared worse-case breach, which would have caused a much greater paralysation of the services.  Conjecture I know, but you're doing the same.

Balic didn't file a bug report outlining a vulnerability that he might have exploited, he (by his own admission) exploited the vulnerability extensively and supposedly reported it after the fact. By his own statements, he tested "how deep he could go" and accessed significant amounts of user data <before> he submitted the alleged report (he claims he supplied some of the misappropriated data as 'proof' of the vulnerability with his reports). As for the criticism that Apple didn't respond to the alleged report - it was (according to Balic) four (4) hours between his bug report (and the intrusion attempt) and the time Apple reacted to an unknown breach. Even if he'd only filed a bug report, without probing the extents of the vulnerability - that was a wholly insufficient time for anyone to have properly verified the issue and responded to it. The time constraint was further aggravated by the fact that Apple had to expend resources contending with the clear and present danger of a breach which had already been executed. At that point, searching the bugbase for a report that may or may not be relevant was likely completely out of the question.

In choosing to force the issue <now>, he made a choice to impose an immediate cost (to one degree or another) on everyone associated with the developer program. There was no way to prepare for the situation and mitigate the damage done (for example, a planned outage could've been scheduled and announced - even if on short notice, developers may have been able to preemptively secured the provisioning they needed). He took that ability away from us, and the defense you propose is that someone <might> have found the same vulnerability, and <might> have exploited it, and their intent <might> have been more malicious - and this is all at some unspecified point in the future. Because <he> decided how severe this was, and <he> decided how fast it needed to be addressed, <he> caused a panic. If he'd simply notified Apple of the details, and possibly even made a public statement that he'd found <some> vulnerability of supposedly significant proportions, then Apple disregarded a credible reporting in a <reasonable> amount of time - then absolutely would this sit squarely on Apple's lap. But he didn't, his choices weren't the only course of action available to him, and not even the most prudent of those - so by definition they were unnecessary. That's why he's in the wrong.

Quote:

I don't think anyone expects Apple to be able to withstand prolonged military-grade cyber attacks.  A hacker though?  Operating alone?  That suggests they weren't up to scratch.

At the risk of being blunt, no. In the absence of any other relevant information, it suggests no such thing. This does not appear to have been a brute-force attack that would've materially benefited from extensive time, compute or manpower resources.

Quote:

I didn't make an analogy, I used a metaphor.  There's a difference.  You extrapolated that into a tortured analogy, that's the lengths.  No "accuracy" was ever intended or implied, it was just a metaphor, like when I say that clouds are like soldiers marching to war - point out the differences between clouds and soldiers as much as you want, but you're wasting your time because I don't actually think clouds are literally like soldiers marching to war.

I'd rather drop the painful linguistic exercises and focus on the facts.

Very well, semantics it is. I stand corrected, you used a metaphor, which defined an analogy. Your metaphor failed as it did not link the attributes of the vehicle(s) to the tenor(s). What I did was to express a more representative metaphor using the theme from your metaphor and the actual attributes of the vehicle that is the topic of our discussion. And yes, my 'tortured' metaphor was longer than yours. (Ok, I promise I'll stop with that now ;) )